ozzielover31

help! trying to go back home with my future fiance

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

hi everyone,

here is my situation. i'm from america and moved to australia to be with my boyfriend. i have applied for an australian partner visa and my boyfriend is sponsoring me. as of now i'm on a bridging visa A until a decision is made on my partner visa. i still need a medical exam to finish processing so its on hold. but there has been a change of plans, and my boyfriend and I want to move back to the states. so my questions are what can I do? i'm still a us citizen and still have ties to the states. we plan on getting engaged but just wondering whats the easiest way to go back home. also my parents are wanting to help get us back over. is there anything that they can do? is there a visa that they can sponsor him since they live in the states. I've done tons of research but i just wanna know if there is anything else that I may have missed or not know about to make things easier. any advice will be helpful. thanks.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from General-Immigration Related Forum to What Visa Do I Need Forum~

~Inquiry about family visas~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

What did your research come up with?

Where do you want to get married.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

i know of the k1 finance visa and the spouse visa but from what i read is that i would have to live in the states for me to sponsor him for the spouse visa. the fiance visa seems like the way to go but i have no job neither here nor there so there goes my affidavit of support. i've also read that he can go on a tourist visa and get married and apply for adjustment of status and millions of people have done it that way but i've also read that its a risky deal. i'm also wondering if there is a visa that my parents can sponsor their son-in-law back to the states? wouldn't that be categorized in a family based visa?

as far as where marriage takes place? either country. i think he wants to get married in the states. his parents want to come to america and says that would give them a good reason to go.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You choices are basically the K1 ( fiancé ) or the CR1 ( spousal ) visa. You can re establish residence in the US at the final stages if you have a willing sponsor. If you want to marry in the US then the K1 is your choice. If you don't care then the CR1 allows him to work/travel immediately

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

You can have a joint sponsor for either visa so if your parents are willing then you can certainly go either route.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

K1 seems to meet your requirements. :guides:

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

You have to have a US domicile.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

ok thanks everyone!! so if we go with the k1 visa, i don't have to live in the states for me to bring him back with me?

No. You must have a US domicile (legal and permanent resident) or have proof that you will establish one before or at the time that the K-1 enters the US.

Timeline

i still pay taxes in the states, i haven't renounced citizenship, i still have american bank accounts and i still pay american car insurance so thats still considered ties to american right?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.