PaulineA

You come across a person sitting begging for money in the street

Pick your choice of what you would do.  

72 members have voted

1. 1. You see someone begging for money in the street. What do you do?

• Give them cash
    • Pretend you don't see them
    • Think that you need the money more than they do
    • Tell them to stop pretending to be homeless, and that you saw them buying a case of beer earlier
    • offer them a place to stay
    • call the cops on them for loitering in a public place
    • Buy them some beer
    • Eat a big mac while they drool over it
    • Ask if you can borrow their coat
    • Run away as fast as you can calling for help

84 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I think everyone would give money if they could, that's obvious. But it's a bit of fun anyway.

[color=#800080]AOS

Lawyer sent Aos package 07-27-2007

Medical 08-01-2007

Check cashed -08-23-2007

NOA - 08-27-2007

Biometrics scheduled - 09-12-2007

Biometrics for EAD and AOS 09-12-2007

Received RFE for medical and co-sponsor tax returns

(Tax returns were sent) also letter from employer

needed, and last 6 months pay stubs.

RFE: 09-11-2007

Sent RFE back to lawyer 10-10-2007

EAD card production ordered 06-11-2007

EAD received 17-11-2007

Interview date for 01-08-2008[/color]

Approved! Card Production ordered 01-08-2008

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

There was no choice for "Tell them to get off their but and find a job"

And NO I would not give them a dine... not even if I had a million $ in my pocket...

I had to start at the bottom of the heep when I got here, and I found work and have pride... there is work out there if you want it....

Kez

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
There was no choice for "Tell them to get off their but and find a job"

And NO I would not give them a dine... not even if I had a million $ in my pocket...

I had to start at the bottom of the heep when I got here, and I found work and have pride... there is work out there if you want it....

Kez

What if it is a genuine homeless person who doesn't take drugs? Homeless people are not just "bums", there are circumstances that can occur for someone to end up homeless y'know. To lump them all into one pile is rather heartless.

Filed: Other Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I chose 'pretend you don't see them'.

This might sound like a cruel thing, but where I see the most homeless is in downtown, and most of them are either a) drunk or B) violent or c) crazy, or d)all of the above, or e) some combination of the above. I don't want to contribute to their addictions or problems.

I've been working downtown for a few years now, and I've been yelled at, accosted, tripped, and had stuff thrown at me by disgruntled homeless people.

Our K-1 Visa/AOS/RoC timeline can be found here.

Timeline

This might sound like a cruel thing, but where I see the most homeless is in downtown, and most of them are either a) drunk or B) violent or c) crazy, or d)all of the above, or e) some combination of the above. I don't want to contribute to their addictions or problems.

Again, lumping them all into one pile. There is a huge amount of intolerance here against the homeless and it's sad.

Edited by mags

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Again, lumping them all into one pile. There is a huge amount of intolerance here against the homeless and it's sad.

One of the nice thing about moving from London is that I just do not get this so much.

Seemed a failry accurate list, there will be the very odd exception.

I would add the Pro's as well, can pay a lot more than working fast food!

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

If they are homeless there is nothing to stop them using one of the meny shelters to stay in over night and working during the day.... I know 2 people who do just that... so no being homeless does not mean you have to bed on the street....

I read an newspaper report here in Boston about a street begger who claimed that he made more money begging than he could if he worked and why should he work when people are happy to give him money for doing nothing....

You say I am heartless but in this life nothing comes easy if you want something bad enough you will suceed... in this day and age there are plenty of projects to help people out of a tight spot, homeless shelters, free food, clean clothes, if they want anything other than the basics then let them work for it same as I have to....

Kez

Filed: Other Country: Netherlands
Timeline

No, lumping them would be saying they 'ALL' are ... I said most. I've also seen a guy wearing more expensive clothing than mine out there begging for money. I looked at his Ambercrombie jacket and Nike shoes and just shook my head.

I just think my money is far better spent donating to organizations such as food pantries and homeless shelters where those who need it can get the services they need, and you know that money isn't going towards something you don't intend.

Our K-1 Visa/AOS/RoC timeline can be found here.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I don't have money to give so much as I have my time, so I try to give that volunteering. Then at the end of the year I would prefer to donate money to organizations and institutions that can help people in those situations. I think in the end that might be more useful than giving a dollar to every homeless person I see on the street. I used to always apologize but after some time in Rio de Janeiro I learned to ignore them.

Timeline

No, lumping them would be saying they 'ALL' are ... I said most. I've also seen a guy wearing more expensive clothing than mine out there begging for money. I looked at his Ambercrombie jacket and Nike shoes and just shook my head.

I just think my money is far better spent donating to organizations such as food pantries and homeless shelters where those who need it can get the services they need, and you know that money isn't going towards something you don't intend.

That's not what you said there (see bolded part). The inference was that the majority are drunk or druggies etc etc

I apologise if my inference was wrong.

Edited by mags

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I would buy them food if they were hungry. I would never give them money because they might buy booze or drugs with it .

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

I remember my brother telling me about a classmate that was using panhandling experiences to do his masters and the fellow made about $50,000 doing it and that was 30 years ago so I don't give money. I donate through affilations at work.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

I will offer to buy them something to eat , I usually carry water in my car and give a couple bottles of water,

thats about it. I typically do not give change to pan handlers.

During the Holidays Seasons I alwasy see this guy set up on the off ramp he sells hand made wreaths from real tree clippings, I always give him some extra money because he is trying to provide a service in return for money.

In California and actually much of the USA a lot of working people are 1 or 2 paychecks away from being homeless,

so i do Not automatically assume that drugs or acholhol are the reason they are destitute and froced to beg for money.

It is sad that our Govt. spend Billions/ trillions of money to fight a war when our own American Citizens, legal residnets and neighboring countries are suffering from poverty, Hunger, and are homeless.

Katrina Victims are still rwecovery yet Our Govt. sees it more important to spend money on a war that we have no business fighting.

So to see Homeless people in my own country that were forced there because their Govt. won't step in and help them it sickens me.

gewelcome-vi.gif

3dflagsdotcom_japan_2faws-vi.gif

IMPORTANT NOTICE:Like you all, I am not an attorney ; I am a layperson (I have laid a lot of persons ) My advice is based on Experience obtained by filing ourselves

AOS met in Japan 1994 married 10/2004

DO:Los Angeles,Ca.

6/17/06 Forms Sent (I-130, I-485, and I-765)

6/19/06 RD I-130,I-485, I-765

6/26/06 NOA rcvd

7/15/06 Biometrics complete Day 22

8/4/06 Interview Notice Rcvd Day 42

9/9/06 EAD Card Received :)Day 78

9/13/06 SS Card Received :)Day 82

9/27/06 AOS Interview Los Angeles APPROVED LPR Day 96

12/04/06 Welcome To the United States Letter received

12/08/06 Green Card Received- expires 12/2016

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Pretend I don't see them.

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline