londongal

Can the flu jab be avoided?

43 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong forum board.

I just wanted to check if anyone has had any luck with avoiding having the flu jab done. I anticipate that my medical might be Dec/Jan and that this falls within the flu season. However, I'm really against the flu jab and don't want it done. Is there any way around this? :protest:

Our Journey :goofy:

5/23/2015 - Met my love in the US of A

9/21/2015 - Sent off i-129f!

9/25/2015 - Received NOA1

10/27/2015 - Received NOA2!!!!! :dancing:

11/11/2015- Package received by NVC

11/12/2015- Got our case number

12/09/2015 - Medical

01/13/2016 - Interview & APPROVED! :) :dance:

5/17/2016 - Flight booked!!! The big move is finally here!

5/21/2016 - We got marrieddddddddd :wub:

Filing for Adjustment of Status

5/27/2016 - Applied for SSN and changed to married name - (still not received)

6/8/2016- Filed AoS (I-765, I -131, I 485)

6/13/2016 - AoS Received

6/25/2016- NoA

9/20/2016 - EAD & Advanced parole card received!

10/2/2016 - Green card received!!!! :star:

Removal of Conditions

9/21/2018 - Filed package to Texas via USPS priority mail

9/24/2018- Package delivered confirmed

10/19/2018 - i-551 stamp at infopass appointment

10/26/2018 - 18 month extension receipt notice received

zzflag017.gif united-states-flag.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I just wanted to check if anyone has had any luck with avoiding having the flu jab done. I anticipate that my medical might be Dec/Jan and that this falls within the flu season. However, I'm really against the flu jab and don't want it done. Is there any way around this? :protest:

I don't know how strict they are with the flu shots but if they are as strict as with the other I'd say your only option is to now have your medical during flu season. There's waivers but they cost money and usually is if you have religious reasons or you oppose ALL forms of vaccines, not just the flu vaccine. I'm anti flu vaccine as well and I had my medical when it was not the flu season.

You don't have to have any shots to get a K1 visa, but getting all of them recorded on your vaccination sheet at Knightsbridge means you won't have to pay again for a civil surgeon in the U.S. to certify your immunizations for adjustment of status.

But let's say you got the Tdap and MMR accounted for on your Knightsbridge DS-3025, and varicella waived by stating you had chickenpox, but did not get a flu jab even though it is flu season. During adjustment of status if the adjudicator picks up your case to review/approve anytime between April 1 to Sept 30 (not flu season), then no flu shot is required. During that time window, the only adult shots that have to be considered are MMR, Tdap/Td, and varicella. If your timing gets lucky, then you could get by skipping the flu shot. But if things are slow with your AOS, then flu season 2016 could roll around before approval and you could be asked to get a flu shot either by RFE (if no interview required) or by your AOS interviewer. if you feel that strongly about it, then skip the shot and hope the AOS approval timing works out. If not then get the shot when they force you but keep in mind you would also have to pay a civil surgeon to fill out an I-693.

A few fun threads about civil surgeons from people who did not get shots done in advance of their visa medical.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/541758-i-693-merged/?p=7535232

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/518446-civil-surgeons-what-a-joke/?p=7289206

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/462793-medical-again-in-usa-due-to-incomplete-vaccination-record/

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/461012-medical-exam-for-aos-after-k1/

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Unfortunately there is very little, if any way, to avoid it if it falls during flu season. It is a requirement if you're filing during flu season and better to get it now and have it over with than to pay for it in America. I got mine a few weeks ago and it was dreadful because I too am very much against it, but it was a necessary evil to be able to be with the person I love.

K-1 Visa Process (182 days from I-129F filed -> Visa in Hand)

May 10th, 2015: Got Engaged!

June 12th 2015: Fiance filed I-129F, June 19th, 2015: (NOA1) Received at California Service Center

July 23rd, 2015: (NOA2) NVC received

Aug 31st, 2015: NVC Approved and fwd case to consulate in Montreal. MTL case # given.

Sept 8th, 2015: MTL received and sent P3 by mail, Sept 18th, 2015: P3 received in mail, Sept 18th, 2015: DS-160 completed and P3 documents sent by e-mail

Sept 21st, 2015: P3 Approved. Received P4 by e-mail, Sept 21st, 2015: Booked K-1 Visa interview for December 2nd, 2015!!

Oct 2nd, 2015: Booked Medical in Toronto for November 12th, 2015

Nov. 12th, 2015: Medical done in Toronto, ON with Dr Lyndon Mascarenhas. Highly recommend him!!

Nov. 17th, 2015: Medical results delivered by Purolator

Dec. 2nd, 2015: Interview in Montreal... APPROVED!!!!

Dec. 9th, 2015: CEAC status changed to Issued!

Dec. 11th, 2015: Ready for pickup at Waterloo location. Picked up and Visa in Hand!

K-1 AOS Process (72 days from I-485 filed -> Green Card in Hand)

Spoiler

POE: Dec. 16th, 2015 by U-Haul @ Port Huron <p>

AOS, EAD, AP (72 days from package sent -> Green Card in hand)

Jan. 1st, 2016: Civil Ceremony <3

Jan. 29th, 2016: Applied for SSN

Feb. 2nd, 2016: Sent off AOS packet

Feb. 9th, 2016: NOA1's received by text & e-mail

Feb. 13th, 2016: NOA1 hard copies received in the mail

Feb. 23rd, 2016: Biometrics letter in mail received for Feb 29th!

Feb. 23rd, 2016: SSN received in the mail

Feb. 29th, 2016: Successful Biometrics appointment in Tampa, FL

April 7th, 2016: Green Card in production!!!

April 11th, 2016: Green Card in Mail

April 13th, 2016: Received Green Card :)

Removal of Conditions Process

Jan 16th, 2018: Mailed Form I-751 to CSC

Jan 18th, 2018: USPS Delivered to CSC

Jan. 24th, 2018: NOA1 received in the mail

Unfortunately there is very little, if any way, to avoid it if it falls during flu season. It is a requirement if you're filing during flu season and better to get it now and have it over with than to pay for it in America. I got mine a few weeks ago and it was dreadful because I too am very much against it, but it was a necessary evil to be able to be with the person I love.

You can file for AOS in flu season without a flu shot.

Example those K1s who got all their shots recorded on the visa medical when it was not flu season. Their DS-3025 would have the waiver "not flu season" marked. That waiver stands, even if AOS is filed or adjudicated during flu season.

And as explained above, if the AOS is adjudicated when it is not flu season, then it doesn't matter if there was a flu shot or not, nor does it matter when the AOS was mailed off. So there are some timing loopholes to immigrate without a flu shot. Unfortunately timing during immigration is impossible to control.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Not to hijack this thread but now I'm a bit confused. My medical was in mid-October and as such I don't believe I fell into flu season? (If I did, the doctor certainly made no mention of it). Does that sound accurate and if so does that mean I won't need one later for AOS? If it saves me the hassle later on, I'd rather just get it now.

K1, EAD/AP + AOS + ROC = 0 RFE's

Next step: Citizenship!

Timeline

Not to hijack this thread but now I'm a bit confused. My medical was in mid-October and as such I don't believe I fell into flu season? (If I did, the doctor certainly made no mention of it). Does that sound accurate and if so does that mean I won't need one later for AOS? If it saves me the hassle later on, I'd rather just get it now.

"The timing of flu is very unpredictable and can vary in different parts of the country and from season to season. Most seasonal flu activity typically occurs between October and May. Flu activity most commonly peaks in the United States between December and February."

If they adjudicate your AOS during flu season you might have to get the flu shot anyway.

Flu season for USCIS starts Oct 1. At this point, you are past getting a shot recorded on your DS-3025 immunization form so no advantage to do it now really. Your form is already at the embassy and will then be eventually in your AOS file with USCIS. But say you get the visa and marry, and file AOS by the end of this year. Your AOS probably won't be approved by Mar 31 (end of flu season) which would require a shot. So as long as AOS is approved before next Oct 1 (new flu season) you should be fine without a flu shot. Timing is probably on your side.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

It is possible not to have the FLU jab.

When I had my medical I told the DR that after my last FLU jab around 3 years ago I became very sick in the days after so wasn't prepared to have another. He said there wasn't any issue with not having it done.

I also did the medical with my daughter a k2 and told him my reasons for not wanting a fit and healthy child to receive it. When he filled out the immunisation form he simply ticked a box that said "other severe reaction to vaccine" and wrote flu vaccine.

K1-K2 VISA
FEBRUARY 2015 APPLIED FOR I-129F K1-K2
RECIEVED NOA1
AUGUST 2015 RECIEVED NOA2
SEPTEMBER 2015 SENT TO THE DEPARTMENT OF STATE
RECIEVED SYDNEY CASE NUMBER
CASE SENT TO THE SYDNEY EMBASSY
SEPTEMBER 2015 COMPLETED DS-160 K1-K2
OCTOBER 2015 MEDICAL COMPLETED
INTERVIEW - APPROVED
VISA ISSUED

DECEMBER 2015 ARRIVED INTO THE USA POA DALLAS TX 26TH DECEMBER
JANUARY 2016 MARRIED 29TH JANUARY
FEBRUARY 2016 SSN CARD RECIEVED

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS
MARCH 2016 SENT AOS PACKAGE K1-K2 21ST MARCH                                                       JUNE 2016 RECIEVED GREEN CARD K1-K2 11TH JUNE
ARRIVED AT THE CHICAGO LOCKBAG FACILITY 23RD MARCH

APRIL 2016 RECIEVED NOA 1 FOR AOS/EAD/AP 5TH APRIL
RECIEVED BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENTS 30TH APRIL
MAY 2016 BIOMETRICS TAKEN 10TH MAY

AP/EAD APPROVED K1 13TH MAY

COMBO CARD ARRIVED 21ST MAY

JUNE 2016 APPROVED AOS (NO INTERVIEW) K1-K2 3RD JUNE

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Is it the jab or the shot you're adverse to? If it's the jab, get Flu-mist up your nose instead.

Timeline

Is it the jab or the shot you're adverse to? If it's the jab, get Flu-mist up your nose instead.

Pretty sure OP means all the nasty stuff you can get from the vaccines. I'm all for vaccines but not that one.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.