netminder30

Proof of Intention to Marry

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

How much documentation has to be provided to establish the intention to marry? My fiancée and I have each written and signed letters of intent to marry within 90 of her arrival to the U.S.. Is this sufficient?

My fiancée and I have each been married before, so we don't have any elaborate wedding plans; we are simply planning to have a quicky wedding with a local justice of the peace. Therefore, there will be no wedding invitations, no catering bills, etc. to show the USCIS. We haven't made any firm plans regarding the timing of any marriage ceremony yet because we don't know when our petition will be approved. I would appreciate any thoughts on this topic. Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The letters of intent suffice for USCIS's purposes. More details might be asked of you at the consulate during the visa interview later. Bear in mind that people have gotten into trouble on their own end by scheduling wedding arrangements after inaccurately trying to guess the timing of the petition and visa processes.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

How much documentation has to be provided to establish the intention to marry? My fiancée and I have each written and signed letters of intent to marry within 90 of her arrival to the U.S.. Is this sufficient?

My fiancée and I have each been married before, so we don't have any elaborate wedding plans; we are simply planning to have a quicky wedding with a local justice of the peace. Therefore, there will be no wedding invitations, no catering bills, etc. to show the USCIS. We haven't made any firm plans regarding the timing of any marriage ceremony yet because we don't know when our petition will be approved. I would appreciate any thoughts on this topic. Thank you!

For the I-129F petition, a letter of intent to marry from each of you is all you need.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

CO might ask for some kind of marriage plan. So, send a email to justice of peace just find out the time, cost of marriage or other questions my email, so that you have an email showing that you are planning to marry. You may ask quotation from a local food place about lunch or dinner and you may send some emails to your friends and family about a tentative date of marriage you are in your mind. All these will help you

At the approval stage, intent to marry letter from both of you are enough as other wrote.

Edited by dilip

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

How much documentation has to be provided to establish the intention to marry? My fiancée and I have each written and signed letters of intent to marry within 90 of her arrival to the U.S.

. Is this sufficient? Yes

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Must my fiancée's signature on the letter of intent to marry be in ink or is a photo copy of the signature sufficient? I am truly hoping it is the latter because I am just about ready to put the petition in the mail and I would hate to delay it waiting for my fiancée's original letter of intent to arrive.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

My fiancee sent me a signed photocopy. She took the original during interview and she was not asked to produce the letter. She did notarized her letter in India and it was recommended by our lawyer. Not sure, it is needed or not to notarized

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

netminder30, we have similar backgrounds!

My fiancee sent this letter in the mail.... a signed and dated "letter of intent to marry" for our i-129 F submission. I submitted the original signed and dated letter of intent to marry for the both of us. Our petition went to CSC. No problems with USCIS approval for our petition.

Good luck to you both!

Edited by N and S

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

So she already mailed you her signed G-325A and passport photo, but forgot to include the letter of intent?

There used to be plenty of RFEs asking for original 'wet' signatures on the letters of intent, but as of late, there does not seem to be RFEs given for that any longer. You will probably be ok with the printed out copy of her letter of intent.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

No, KayDeeCee, I have scans of her G-325A and letter of intent with her signature on the documents. So they are not wet signatures. She sent me her passport pic electronically and I had it printed at a local Walgreens with passport specs.

Do I need to withhold my application and wait for my fiancée to send me wet signatures? I hate to delay any further, but I don't want to send something that is sure to meet with an RFE.

Has anyone out there sent scans of there fiancé(e)'s G-325A and letter of intent and not gotten an RFE?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

People have received RFEs in the past, but as I said, I have not seen any RFEs for sending them without the wet signatures for a while now. I cannot guarantee there will be no RFE for it, but you will most likely be ok with the copies.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.