orangeblossom

K1 visa denied. Questions regarding refiling for the same beneficiary.

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

I am the petitioner and would like to re-file the K1 visa sometime next month.The embassy in Cambodia already returned my petition to USCIS under section 221g. The CO believed our relationship is not genuine. It's been 4 months since the interview and so far I haven't heard anything from USCIS. I checked my case status online and it says USCIS is currently reviewing our case and will send us a mail after reviewing it. Do I have to wait for a letter from USCIS in order to re-file or can I re-file now? I have not withdraw my petition. How do I withdraw my petition and re-file for the same beneficiary? Can I send in a notarized withdrawal letter along with the re-file I-139f application. Or do I have to submit the letter and the I-139f application separately?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

I am the petitioner and would like to re-file the K1 visa sometime next month.The embassy in Cambodia already returned my petition to USCIS under section 221g. The CO believed our relationship is not genuine. It's been 4 months since the interview and so far I haven't heard anything from USCIS. I checked my case status online and it says USCIS is currently reviewing our case and will send us a mail after reviewing it. Do I have to wait for a letter from USCIS in order to re-file or can I re-file now? I have not withdraw my petition. How do I withdraw my petition and re-file for the same beneficiary? Can I send in a notarized withdrawal letter along with the re-file I-139f application. Or do I have to submit the letter and the I-139f application separately?

1. Your petition will be purposely allowed to expire, it will not be reviewed even though it says so on the case status.

2. You do not have to withdraw this petition, it will die the death of expiration if it hasn't already.

3. You can re file at any time or you can marry and file a CR1.

4. Research front loading and make sure you have a well rounded quality package with evidence showing your relationship from

day one to current and photos showing your trips to visit.

Real face time is important, get another visit in and be on the premises for the next interview.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Timeline

Thank you. How do I know if my petition expire? Does it say on the NOA2? I'll be visiting my fiancé in 2 weeks. Going to be my 4th trip since my 1st visit in March 2014. That's 4 visits in less than 19 months. I will definitely front load my application again with mountain of evidences when I refile.

Timeline

Long story. Short version : ALL k1's that have been returned 'for review' are expired as opposed to returned CR/IR visas that do get reviewed.

This is due to a law suit years ago to avoid a PC6 hard marker on the records that couples had to deal with due to revoked I-129 petitions.

Feel free to do a VJ search of returned K1's to read thread upon thread with more information.

If you have any more specific questions feel free to ask.

Spoiler

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

It turns the suspicion of an invalid relationship into a finding of fraud which then means if you repetition you get hit with the need for a waiver to overcome the fraud that may never have existed.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

I see. That sounds scary. I'm going to read up on returned visa cases and tips on refiling and 2nd interviews.

We would love to start a family soon. Unfortunately that's going to happen anytime soon. Everything is put on hold for now because the CO did not believe us. I pray everyday hoping my fiancé and I pass our 2nd interview. Thank you guys for answering all my questions.

I had filed a second petition for the same fiancé and it worked out ok. My first petition was not yet approved so I wrote a letter to the USCIS and had it cancelled. I filed the second petition before the first one was cancelled. For a short period of time I had two i129 petitions existing with USCIS ( for the same fiancé ) at the same time. Remember to consider to include an IMBRA waiver for filing limitations since you may want to re-file right away. In addition to front loading your petition also be sure to attend your fiancé interview. I attended my fiancé interview and it was a very good experience. The CO only asked us 2 or 3 questions.

glenmar

Our K1 Timeline

August 31, 2012 ...........NOA1
April 19, 2013................NOA2

May 2, 2013...................MNL # Available

June 3, 2013..................Interview

June 18, 2013................POE Dallas

AOS Timeline

July 26, 2013.................NOA I-485

August 27, 2013............Biometrics

September 5, 2013.......Notice of Interview date (October 15)

September 30, 2013.....EAD/AP Combo card in hand.

October 15, 2013..........AOS Interview

October 22, 2013..........AOS Approved & Green Card Production Ordered

November 1, 2013........Green Card in hand!

ROC Timeline

August 12, 2015............NOA

August 31, 2015............Biometrics

March 7, 2016...............Card Production Ordered

March 11, 2016.............I55 Stamp

March 12, 2016.............Green Card in hand!

Citizenship Timeline

March 6, 2017...............NOA

March 27, 2017.............Biometrics

June 20, 2018...…………..Interview

July 13,  2018...…………..Oath Ceremony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

when you do in 2 weeks, why not marry

apply for the CR 1 spouse

'

if you do this, you should send letter saying i am withdrawing my K 1 application in lieu of applying for CR 1 as now we are married Even as others say it will expire, you should not have 2 applicaitons out there at the same time. i sent a simple letter in to the USCIS office stating this / doesn't hurt

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Cambodia is rife with fraud, specifically the sexual and economic exploitation of young women. I've worked there and can attest to the need for severe screening by immigration officials. You are likely a victim of the recent crackdown on K-1 visas and foreign marriages. I don't know your respective ages, but the greater the difference, the tougher it will be for you. Cambodia allegedly passed a law prohibiting the marriage of women to any foreign male over the age of 50. I've heard that some Cambodian women are circumventing the law by crossing borders - not sure how this works, but that's an interesting angle. Be overwhelming with evidence (photos, travel together, meeting family, etc.) and don't give up. I love Cambodia and hope the best for you.

Timeline

I'm a 34 year old female petitioner and my fiancé, beneficiary is 38. I did attended the interview with my fiancé in May. They gave us a stoke interview. Long story short- we failed! I did my front loaded my application and surprisingly we got interviewed within 3.5 months from the time I filed. I think front loading really helps speed up the process. I will turn in the same evidence and add some new evidence from my upcoming trip when I refile next month.

During the interview I was already going on my 3rd trip visiting my fiancé. This coming October will be my 4th trip total since the first time I visited him in March 2014. I basically visit him once every 6 month.

It's a long process to get married in Cambodia or else we would've gone that route. We need to get permission from the Ministry of Foreign Affair and the US embassy in order to get married there. The average wait time is over 1 month for approval. I need to stay there for 1 month to process all this and I don't have any personal leave to take 1 month off from work.

Timeline

My fiancé and I had already decided that if we fail our 2nd interview we will get married in Dec 2016. I'm able to take 1 month off from work to process the paperwork during that time. For now we're going to just refile and see what happen. I contacted another member on a different forum telling me to wait to hear from USCIS before I withdraw my petition. He said a couple contacted him saying that USCIS contacted them after a denied interview. USCIS didn't believe the CO and is sending back the petition for the couple to have a 2nd interview. During that time they had already married. Things got complicated having 2 cases open and they did not get to attend the 2nd interview.

When I checked the status of my case as of today it said that USCIS received my case. They're in the process of reviewing it and will mail us their decision after reviewing. Status updated Aug 26, 2015. Our interview was the end of May 2015. It's been 4 going on 5 months waiting to hear from them. If I don't hear anything back by the end of October I am going it withdraw my petition and refile.

Edited by orangeblossom

Timeline

My fiancé and I had already decided that if we fail our 2nd interview we will get married in Dec 2016. I'm able to take 1 month off from work to process the paperwork during that time. For now we're going to just refile and see what happen. I contacted another member on a different forum telling me to wait to hear from USCIS before I withdraw my petition. He said a couple contacted him saying that USCIS contacted them after a denied interview. USCIS didn't believe the CO and is sending back the petition for the couple to have a 2nd interview. During that time they had already married. Things got complicated having 2 cases open and they did not get to attend the 2nd interview.

When I checked the status of my case as of today it said that USCIS received my case. They're in the process of reviewing it and will mail us their decision after reviewing. Status updated Aug 26, 2015. Our interview was the end of May 2015. It's been 4 going on 5 months waiting to hear from them. If I don't hear anything back by the end of October I am going it withdraw my petition and refile.

CR/IR's get reviewed but K1's will never get reviewed as I stated.

Things get only complicated when a K1 is still active at the embassy and a CR1 has also been filed and is ready for interview.

Your petition has expired, it will NOT be reviewed and you will receive a USCIS letter telling you that after a total of 6 months.

Had the couple attended their 2. K1 interview they would have likely been approved but they married and that rendered it void.

Your status says review but believe me they are not in process of reviewing it but it sits in storage until expired.

You don't have to withdraw the K1. It's dead, expired and there is nothing to withdraw.

Spoiler

Timeline

Ebunoluwa: I thought so too. USCIS is going to let the returned K1 petition collect dust. First thing first I'm going to withdraw my petition anyway just in case. I'll refile when I return from my trip. :) There will be mountain of evidences to prove that we have a bonafide relationship.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

when you do in 2 weeks, why not marry

apply for the CR 1 spouse

'

if you do this, you should send letter saying i am withdrawing my K 1 application in lieu of applying for CR 1 as now we are married Even as others say it will expire, you should not have 2 applicaitons out there at the same time. i sent a simple letter in to the USCIS office stating this / doesn't hurt

To get married in Cambodia is harder then actual visa process. Takes over a month the whole process. Have to go through a grueling government process which includes lot of bribery and petitioner has to be present whole time. I went through the process back in 2012. If you can go through that process visa process is very easy compared to that

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.