Honey_B

No time for wedding?

17 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

My fiance is a musician, guitarist in two bands that each tour europe one to three times a year. I have met him on tour and learned to trust him, I see him fairly often considering the long distance and accepted that being with him means living with the tours, music being a priority. It feels tough sometimes, but I try to support his dream as much as I can, he is the man of my dreams and the most supporting and trustworthy person (L)

Our NOA2 will hopefully arrive in october/november (that is 7 to 8 months in tsc). I did a little bit of research about the embassy and other people's experiences, and figured my interview will likely be up to three months after that, so maybe in february. We are planning possible visits until february and hope for the best, yet there is a huge issue - he will be on tour multiple times from march/april until october, and he might only be in the US for two months in total in between those tours :(

I can't imagine myself entering the US on my visa, getting married within the first couple weeks and having to say goodbye almost right after. I also can't imagine myself waiting in germany for his tours to end (even if I came with him for a week or two here and there), on top of that they extend the six month period for entering the US after getting the visa approved.

I feel disappointed, flying back and forth, the uncertainty and waiting for so long has been very hard for me. I feel scared about our future and so dependent, I feel like my life is completely being planned around the visa and his plans. I couldn't make him cancel a tour (it wouldn't feel right and it might not be possible in the firtst place) and I feel so panicked right now that I don't even know how to talk to him.

Does anyone have some calming words, advice, or maybe even similar experiences with their partners?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I could see some potential issues. He must be in the usa for your interview once you AOS. You won't be able to drive or work until you have your EAD so will you be comfortable being home alone in a new country without him?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Duplicate thread removed from other forum. Please post just once on a single topic.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Honestly if that's his life, him being gone for a good long time will become a normal part of your life as well.

For the first good while, you will be dependent. You can always ask for an extension on your NOA2 (up to a year) and wait for longer to get your interview scheduled so it's after his touring in October and then come then, but you're still looking at having to wait alone for the most part.

But still, just as a number one worry, if his music is his priority and you know this and have accepted this, will you be okay being fully dependent on him when you're here and be okay when he goes off on tour for 6-7 months at a time? Chances are your life will continue to be around his plans.

A second thing you may want to consider is that you won't be able to go around and tour with him the entire time once you can (because you can't before AP or green card), because you need to stay in the US for MOST of the year (7 out of 12 months generally) or else you will lose your green card because you're not "maintaining status" in the US.

I'm curious on what you're expecting from the relationship once you're married. Do you want him to stop touring? Did you plan to tour with him? Are you okay being alone in a new place because you can't tour with him?

I see the situation being a lot harder than normal ones because in your case, you're going to marry someone who intends on going off for 7 months to tour. I guess you could use the whole cliche of "Well it's one of the sacrifices of being married to a musician".

Either way, I'd talk to him. So many people say how they want to express themselves to their loved ones and tell other people their lifes story and then wonder why their loved ones are confused and don't understand why topics arise or conflict happens.

If you're going to be in a marriage with ANYONE who is gone 7 months out of the year, you will need to put communication as your top priority. It's the only thing you will have. Communication and personal strength will be the number one things. Some people simply -can't- do it, just as some people may love their spouse but can't handle moving to the US and end up leaving them because they couldn't handle the change. It's a thing, don't be ashamed if you're worried, but make sure your talk to your fiance about these worries or you'll have more worries in the future.

Edit: Also, it's not six months to enter from your visa approval. Your visa will expire six months from when you complete your MEDICAL appointment. A lot of people have thought it was from the approval date, only to receive a visa with one month left because they had done their medical VERY early on. I believe this just happened a couple of months ago on VJ.

Example: My fiance's medical was August 18th, therefore his visa will expire Feburary 18 2016. His interview isn't until September 22nd, when he's approved, the visa expiration will still be 18FEB2016.

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Thank you for your answers!

I have visited the US a lot in our relationship. I am spending the rest of the summer there right now, have my own friends, volunteer at an animal shelter and spend time with his family by myself as well. So feeling alone is not the issue, I feel almost just as much at home. I don't expect him to stop touring once we get married either. This situation is an unusual one because of the strict time frame of the visa. This is what worries me a lot, his tours interfering with our marriage plans, and I am extremely nervous about talking to him because it would either mean he cancels/shortens tours and disappoints his band mates, managers etc, or I will have to stay in germany for way longer that I expected :mellow:

The interview is something that didn't even come to my mind yet.

Edited by JDaisy

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I could see some potential issues. He must be in the usa for your interview once you AOS. You won't be able to drive or work until you have your EAD so will you be comfortable being home alone in a new country without him?

Why can't you drive until EAD?

Together: December 25, 2013

Engaged: July 01, 2015

I-129F Sent: July 06, 2015

NOA1: July 13, 2015

RFE: August 11, 2015

RFE Reply: August 20, 2015

NOA2: August 24, 2015

NVC: September 22, 2015

Case/Invoice Number: September 24, 2015

Vancouver Consulate Ready: September 30, 2015

Packet 3: October 1, 2015

Packet 4: October 1, 2015

Medical: November 20, 2015

Interview: November 24, 2015

Crossing:

Wedding: March ??, 2016

The time frame of the visa can be worked around though. You can ask for an extension for your NOA2 to make it last up to a year. That'd give you guys more time to schedule your medical and interview, to where it's possible that you can just get married in October, while that sucks, it depends on what you both want.

A lot of people end up having to do quickly weddings mainly because of having to come in so quickly. There was a thread a few months ago asking if people considered a civil marriage at the court house their real anniversary date or the day they had their actual formal wedding the date of their anniversary. A lot of them said they viewed their formal wedding which wasn't until months if not a year later, as their real wedding date.

So this is a fairly common thing, but again, it depends on what you both want, which is something you'll want to talk to him about. While it's hard to have some conversations, they really are needed and remember though, he can also make his own choices, if he chooses to change the tour around so ya'll can get married and him not leave shortly later, he made that choice, but sometimes over all, you have to make a little bit of a sacrifice, which from the looks of it one or your WILL do, but until you talk to him you won't know what will happen.

And remember, like someone else said, he'll need to be in the states for your AOS interview. Also you have your own interview and medical that you'll have to do, and THOSE schedules will really be the defining moment as to when you come into the states. The NOA2 is simply the approval of the forms, you have a lot more hand in choosing the timeframe you'll be coming here on with the scheduling of your medical and interview.

If you'll be fine here on your own, then I say go for the quicky wedding and have a larger more formal one later. The only thing you'll have to worry about then will be to make sure he's there in the states for the AOS interview.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Some states give a hard time getting a licence until you have that.

I just assumed I'd be able to drive so that's definitely something I better look into. Thank you :)

Together: December 25, 2013

Engaged: July 01, 2015

I-129F Sent: July 06, 2015

NOA1: July 13, 2015

RFE: August 11, 2015

RFE Reply: August 20, 2015

NOA2: August 24, 2015

NVC: September 22, 2015

Case/Invoice Number: September 24, 2015

Vancouver Consulate Ready: September 30, 2015

Packet 3: October 1, 2015

Packet 4: October 1, 2015

Medical: November 20, 2015

Interview: November 24, 2015

Crossing:

Wedding: March ??, 2016

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Get married in Las Vegas. Take your paperwork in to the courthouse or wherever they hand out the marriage licenses, then go down to a wedding chapel and get married. It is a same-day event in Las Vegas.

Edit: If you plan a big wedding event, and Las Vegas doesn't fit your desires, still get married in Las Vegas for the timing of it since it's a real wedding. Then do your big splashy wedding later. You'll have the marriage done within the time-frame allotted, and you'll have your splashy wedding when the calendar better suits you.

Edited by Pythos1

K-1 Application sent 2-16-16

Received at Dallas lockbox 2-18-16

NOA1, sent to California 2-23-16

NOA2 4-21-16

NVC shipped to Manila 5-12-16

Consulate received 5-16-16

US Embassy Interview -- APPROVED!!! 8-24-16 :dancing: :joy: :dancing:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You will have a 90 day window once you enter with the K-1 to get married. You can do this at the courthouse without planning a wedding ceremony. Then you will need to stay in the US until you file for AOS and receive AP or your green card.

About half of K-1 AOS cases do not have an interview, but if you did happen to get one, he would have to attend.

Your other option is to ditch the K-1 route, get married when you can/want to and then file for a spousal visa. He can be on tour while you are waiting for that to process. When you enter the US with a CR-1, you will become a permanent resident upon entry and be able to work and travel right away.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

As far as the wedding is concerned, as a German you are familiar with the concept of "two weddings" - civil and church. To me it's the most normal thing in the world to do the courthouse as a very small event and have the big party/church or "free" wedding later. I know Americans find it strange, but I heard that lots of K1s do it, just because the timeframe is so tight to plan a big event. Why don't you get married at the JoP quickly after entering and plan the "real" event for a later date?

--------------------------------

On the other topic

Transborderwife - but why would you need a licence; I understand that you can drive 90 days on your national/international licence from your home country.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

--------------------------------

On the other topic

Transborderwife - but why would you need a licence; I understand that you can drive 90 days on your national/international licence from your home country.

That's allowed for ESTA/VWP folk and some B2 folk. Yer not gonna be one of those. When/if you get pulled over for some traffic or speeding violation, you might get lucky within that 90 day period if the traffic officer is clueless about the visa foil in yer passport.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

To the OP - air your concerns with your fiancé, perhaps he hasn't thought timelines through either. Having to deal with immigration takes some planning and he'll have to accommodate that in his plans, after-all - he is the sponsor. You mentioned you feel nervous talking about your concerns with him, don't be - you're getting married.

I don't see your situation as any different then someone whose American spouse is deployed shortly after they arrive. Remember that you will not be able to immediately travel until you at least have AP while waiting for the 2 yr greencard. Clearly your grasp of the English language is perfect so you won't encounter issues there with everyday life.

Visiting is quite different then living here, alone for periods as you indicated, knowing you can't leave until immigration allows you.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.