Raymyster

Bringing Brothers to the US

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

Hello,

i am just trying to get a general idea of where to start, just need advice on what is the best scenario to take

I am a US citizen, my mother and father are green card holders.

I have 2 borthers i am trying to bring to the USA

the first brother is born in 1990 (25 years old) single right now might get married within next few years

the second brother is born in 1996 (18 years old) single will not get married for a long time

what is the best route to take, who should file for them myself or my mother? will it make any difference if my brother (25 years old) gets married and with which form should i start?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

For the oldest It'd take about 8 years if your parents petitioned and maybe 12-14 if you petition. He must stay single. The younger may be petitioned by your parents to come within 2 years of they get on it now. Again stay single

Timeline

For the oldest It'd take about 8 years if your parents petitioned and maybe 12-14 if you petition. He must stay single. The younger may be petitioned by your parents to come within 2 years of they get on it now. Again stay single

Thanks for the help, For my oldest brother he must stay single even if i file for him, and theoratically what would happen if he gets married.

Edited by Raymyster

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

why not both, at least for your older brother

as long as they are unmarried, your mom can file for them as well

she can become a USC and your siblings can marry, but since it is a long time, less than you though, things happen, and that's why it is a good idea for both of you to file

no problem if you file and he marries, he won't change category, there is only one category for siblings of a USC, no matter what their stage or age they are in, the wait is the same

for your older brother, as long as your mom is a LPR, he must remain unmarried, but if she does become a USC, he can marry, changing his category from an F1 to a F3 and about 3 more years of waiting for married children of a USC

Edited by aleful

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

Here are the choices.

1. You, USC, file for a brother. It's 13 years for a visa. It doesn't matter if he is married or single. Age is irrelevant.

2. LPR parent files for his/her 25 years old unmarried son. It's 7 years for a visa. If the son gets married while the parent is an LPR, the petition is dead.

3. LPR parent files for the 18 years old unmarried son. It's 2 years for a visa. If the son gets married while the parent is an LPR, the petition is dead.

An LPR parent should definitely file for the 18 years old brother.

You and your LPR parent can both file for the 25 years old brother. Doesn't hurt to have two petitions.

Best of luck

Timeline

1. You, USC, file for a brother. It's 13 years for a visa. It doesn't matter if he is married or single. Age is irrelevant.

I understand all the options i have, but want to clarify this one mostly, so if i file for him now and he is single and within the 13 years he gets married, it doesn't affect his petition

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Sibling petitions are good for your sibling no matter their marriage status. They can be single , married or divorced The only status that matters is that both sibling are breathing at the time the petition is current

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I understand all the options i have, but want to clarify this one mostly, so if i file for him now and he is single and within the 13 years he gets married, it doesn't affect his petition

When he gets marry, his wife can be added to this petition.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

and any children.

For sibling petition what matters is who he is married to when the petition becomes current and if there are any monor children to come along.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.