Janelle2002

Drop In Black Men In Medical School Will Have Alarming Affects On Community Health

133 posts in this topic

Life is complex. Why do you think other people's are simpler than your own?

Because it's easier than looking at the real problems.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

So why do you think their is a decrease in black men?

Maybe the realities of working in a managed care atmosphere. A ten year commitment to then work another ten scraping by to pay off the debt to then end up in a practice where you are doing ok. If I was college age, regardless of race, and interested in pursuing post graduate education, medicine might be a tough sell given the economic realities of the practice of medicine in the the US.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Maybe the realities of working in a managed care atmosphere. A ten year commitment to then work another ten scraping by to pay off the debt to then end up in a practice where you are doing ok. If I was college age, regardless of race, and interested in pursuing post graduate education, medicine might be a tough sell given the economic realities of the practice of medicine in the the US.

That's not specific to black men though. We're talking about a specific trend that's measurable along ethnic lines.

Medicine is a commitment of time and serious funding. That's going to represent a significant barrier to anyone from a poor background. It just so happens that if you're black - you're statistically more likely to be poor. I doubt that's the only reason - but it must be a part of the picture.

Edited by Venkman

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

That's not specific to black men though. We're talking about a specific trend that's measurable along ethnic lines.

Medicine is a commitment of time and serious funding. That's going to represent a significant barrier to anyone from a poor background. It just so happens that if you're black - you're statistically more likely to be poor. I doubt that's the only reason - but it must be a part of the picture.

Wait, so choosing a career in finance and possibly getting an MBA is cheap? I read it as saying that fewer blacks were choosing to go to medical school and were opting for other career paths, I didn't read where it said they were making these choices because they were poor. I believe admissions at medical schools are down across the board which portends a very questionable future for medicine in our country.

Timeline

Wait, so choosing a career in finance and possibly getting an MBA is cheap? I read it as saying that fewer blacks were choosing to go to medical school and were opting for other career paths, I didn't read where it said they were making these choices because they were poor. I believe admissions at medical schools are down across the board which portends a very questionable future for medicine in our country.

University education in the USA isn't cheap, whatever the choice of degree course. However, there are some options that are clearly more expensive than others.

You can become an accountant in less time than it takes to become a doctor.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

That is why many Asian folks that come here have children that become Drs and engineers

While Asian Americans make up only 4% of the U.S. population, Asian-American students make up a much higher percentage of student bodies in top universities around the country. The percentages are astounding: 24% at Stanford, 18% at Harvard, and 25% at both Columbia and Cornell. More Asian Americans over the age of 25 have bachelors degrees and advanced degrees than any other race or ethnic group. And after outperforming their colleagues in school, Asian Americans also bring home higher incomes than their non-Asian counterparts almost $10,000 more annually than the rest of the population (2002 statistics).

So what does this mean? Are Asian students simply smarter? Contrary to what much of the public may believe, Asian students are no more intellectually gifted than non-Asian students are. The reason that Asian students outperform their peers in the classroom has nothing to do with how they were born and everything to do with how they are raised.

http://www.greatschools.org/gk/articles/parenting-students-to-the-top/

perhaps it's that old linkage between actual fathers vs baby mamas' visitors?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Could you please read the article instead of trying to get me to sum it up for you or give you an opinion that I never agreed with.

well, there's always the concept that all went to h3ll after ACORN was shut down. I could run with that, for a bit...

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

So let me get this straight.

The writer is upset that not as many black men are entering the Medical field and the effect that will have on black men going to the doctor, because black men only want to go to people of the same color.

Somehow in bizarre upside down racist world this is cool and not racist.

I bet if the was article about white men shying away from Black doctors, there would be 10 pages, of OH THOSE DEVIL RACIST WHITE MEN, posts. 10 more about white privilege.

The article was disgusting racist drivel.

That is why many Asian folks that come here have children that become Drs and engineers

While Asian Americans make up only 4% of the U.S. population, Asian-American students make up a much higher percentage of student bodies in top universities around the country. The percentages are astounding: 24% at Stanford, 18% at Harvard, and 25% at both Columbia and Cornell. More Asian Americans over the age of 25 have bachelor’s degrees and advanced degrees than any other race or ethnic group. And after outperforming their colleagues in school, Asian Americans also bring home higher incomes than their non-Asian counterparts – almost $10,000 more annually than the rest of the population (2002 statistics).

So what does this mean? Are Asian students simply smarter? Contrary to what much of the public may believe, Asian students are no more intellectually gifted than non-Asian students are. The reason that Asian students outperform their peers in the classroom has nothing to do with how they were born and everything to do with how they are raised.

http://www.greatschools.org/gk/articles/parenting-students-to-the-top/

Its quite simple. Blame the odor on everyone except he who pooted.

Timeline

The writer is upset that not as many black men are entering the Medical field and the effect that will have on black men going to the doctor, because black men only want to go to people of the same color.

I bet if the was article about white men shying away from Black doctors, there would be 10 pages, of OH THOSE DEVIL RACIST WHITE MEN, posts. 10 more about white privilege.

Alas, it was an op-ed piece, and sadly, a carefully contrived 'race-baiting' piece as well.

Grrr. I feel bad for Janelle, really, as she seemingly got roped into the whole mess.

No one is saying this is about evil racist white men. You are saying this.

The article is saying they are concerned because many black men don't go to the doctor as it is and when they do go they want a black doctor. You can thank the Tuskegee experiments and the Eugenics Society for this.

Timeline

:rolleyes: and here we have a perfect example of a hyperbolic reaction. Edited by Venkman

Timeline

Alas, it was an op-ed piece, and sadly, a carefully contrived 'race-baiting' piece as well.

Grrr. I feel bad for Janelle, really, as she seemingly got roped into the whole mess.

Fewer African Americans are going into the medical profession - that's either true or it isn't. If it is, its surely worth asking why. Of course there are many other factors involved in community care standards than whether or not your doctor is black - off the top of my head - access to insurance and quality of care, for instamce.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There is no Doctor in the County I live in, I am sure the people here would be happy to have one of any colour.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”