Janelle2002

Drop In Black Men In Medical School Will Have Alarming Affects On Community Health

133 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I'm 28, raised in a white community by a white mother and Canadian and *I* know about Tuskegee, along with many other cases of white medical professionals experimenting on people of colour. I've also experienced substandard care from white medical professionals who saw me passing as white and assumed that I was not in fact pale. I was, in fact very pale but they never checked my gums. POC doctors always check my gums to see if I'm pale.

I'm 54, white, raised in an upper middle class white community and I have received substandard medical care from white doctors, especially when I was in my late teens, early twenties so I'm not quite sure what that proves. Maybe there are some crappy doctors out there who just treat everyone crappy? I guess it could happen.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm 54, white, raised in an upper middle class white community and I have received substandard medical care from white doctors, especially when I was in my late teens, early twenties so I'm not quite sure what that proves. Maybe there are some crappy doctors out there who just treat everyone crappy? I guess it could happen.

There are differences in what needs to happen in some things for POC vs white people. Doctors are primarily trained on white patients as white patients have the money to be in hospital when they do their residencies. POC doctors remember that one time that someone showed them how to check for paleness on a person with non-white skin. White doctors forget it because it doesn't apply to them. And that's just one example that I remember because it applies to me, specifically. I'm sure that black men and women could tell you many more examples that I'm too light-skinned to know about or that don't affect people of my race.

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

Timeline

Think about the things folks are passionate about:

The Civil War ended 150 years ago, the South lost, but you still got people rocking Confederate flags and getting all up in arms about it.

The bomb dropped on Hiroshima 70 years ago, and there are some folks here still harboring a intense grudge against the Japanese.

The Jewish Holocaust was also 70 years ago, and I know that will NEVER be forgotten. I wish we would learn from them...

Black people might have their flaws, but one thing we always know. The tide can turn very quickly against us at any time. That's why I stay woke, and never get too comfortable.

Valid points. You cited events that resulted in 750,000, 140,000, and 6 million+ deaths respectively. Kind of tough to compare those events to Tuskegee but, I guess one could. I guess I'm trying to get a sense of how relevant is that" experiment" that involved I think around 500 people would be to today's young black men.. Do the Browns, Martins and Fords know about it? Does that drive their mistrust of the man?(amongst other things I'm sure)

Valid points. You cited events that resulted in 750,000, 140,000, and 6 million+ deaths respectively. Kind of tough to compare those events to Tuskegee but, I guess one could. I guess I'm trying to get a sense of how relevant is that" experiment" that involved I think around 500 people would be to today's young black men.. Do the Browns, Martins and Fords know about it? Does that drive their mistrust of the man?(amongst other things I'm sure)

So you believe that having to live with diseases that cannot be cured and diseases you passed on to your community, wife and kids is not tragedy enough?

But let's not forget the millions of our ancestors who died coming to America or many other countries for that matter. Let's forget about our ancestors who were lynched, chased down and eaten by dogs, consistently raped, murdered on a regular basis, because these events are incomparable.

As my great grandmother got older, she could only revert back to her child hood memories. This was of seeing her father hung from a tree in front of her when she was 9 and her mother disappearing. These are the stories she told me as she rocked me in her lap everyday when I was a kid until she passed away when I was 9.

Timeline

So you believe that having to live with diseases that cannot be cured and diseases you passed on to your community, wife and kids is not tragedy enough?

Absolutely not. Never said or implied that. I'm just curious as to how you gleaned that from my questions. I was being genuinely sincere and curious, trying to have a discussion maybe.

But let's not forget the millions of our ancestors who died coming to America or many other countries for that matter. Let's forget about our ancestors who were lynched, chased down and eaten by dogs, consistently raped, murdered on a regular basis, because these events are incomparable.

I never said anything about the above. A very specific point was being discussed and I was asking sincere questions to get a better understanding. What does this have to do with my questions about Tuskegee?

As my great grandmother got older, she could only revert back to her child hood memories. This was of seeing her father hung from a tree in front of her when she was 9 and her mother disappearing. These are the stories she told me as she rocked me in her lap everyday when I was a kid until she passed away when I was 9. Terrible, absolutely terrible but, what does this have to do with my questions about Tuskegee?

Edited by khwaidee1

But here's the kicker, the folks most mad about it aren't the ones affected about it.

There's a thread about the Hiroshima here, and most of the anger in that thread isn't some Japanese person talking about their family being vaporized. It's Americans that seem to think the men, women and children killed in that attack deserved to die. People aren't upset about the lives lost in the Civil War, they're pissed they can't show the confederate flag. In the examples I posted, these things happened in times of war or when you had a dictator in charge.

It's relevant because our own government, in our own country, willing deceived 500 black men by experimenting on them. I don't hold grudges like some people do, but I can't help but think when I go for a check up, what's really happening behind the scenes. That's just a byproduct of knowing our experiences are different based on ethnicity.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Stay Woke, on 13 Aug 2015 - 12:46 PM, said:snapback.png

Think about the things folks are passionate about:

The Civil War ended 150 years ago, the South lost, but you still got people rocking Confederate flags and getting all up in arms about it.

The bomb dropped on Hiroshima 70 years ago, and there are some folks here still harboring a intense grudge against the Japanese.

The Jewish Holocaust was also 70 years ago, and I know that will NEVER be forgotten. I wish we would learn from them...

Black people might have their flaws, but one thing we always know. The tide can turn very quickly against us at any time. That's why I stay woke, and never get too comfortable.

I was replying to you and replying to you about the comments made by Stay Woke to you.

I am in the 25-35 age bracket and I am explaining to you how these things still affect us.

Timeline

But here's the kicker, the folks most mad about it aren't the ones affected about it.

There's a thread about the Hiroshima here, and most of the anger in that thread isn't some Japanese person talking about their family being vaporized. It's Americans that seem to think the men, women and children killed in that attack deserved to die. People aren't upset about the lives lost in the Civil War, they're pissed they can't show the confederate flag. In the examples I posted, these things happened in times of war or when you had a dictator in charge.

It's relevant because our own government, in our own country, willing deceived 500 black men by experimenting on them. I don't hold grudges like some people do, but I can't help but think when I go for a check up, what's really happening behind the scenes. That's just a byproduct of knowing our experiences are different based on ethnicity.

Makes sense. I believe there was only a couple of knuckleheads, one in particular, in that Hiroshima thread. I appreciate the grudge thing and yes, the fact our government would do such a thing is heinous and they have done many bad things. I guess what I was struggling with, and maybe Janelle addressed above, is Tuskegee really something that keeps young black men from seeking medical care from white doctors in 2015? I get the distrust with the police but that is a current daily thing. But, is there a clear and present fear of white doctors now based on what happened in Tuskegee?

Edited by khwaidee1

Makes sense. I believe there was only a couple of knuckleheads, one in particular, in that Hiroshima thread. I appreciate the grudge thing and yes, the fact our government would do such a thing is heinous and they have done many bad things. I guess what I was struggling with, and maybe Janelle addressed above, is Tuskegee really something that keeps young black men from seeking medical care from white doctors in 2015? I get the distrust with the police but that is a current daily thing. But, is there a clear and present fear of white doctors now based on what happened in Tuskegee?

Ok, I see the disconnect.

I don't think so, in the terms of affects, it's a drop in the bucket. From my own opinion, I think the distrust comes from decades of mistreatment. Honestly, in this country we've always been treated like we really don't belong. I'll wager every black person in the US can tell you what that's like. Going to the doctor is kind of a toss up. You got folks who only want black doctors because they don't trust white ones based on the belief they won't treat them the same as a white patient. On the flip side, you got black people who won't go to a black doctor based on the belief they're not equally qualified as a white one.

I hope this clears things up.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Timeline

Ok, I see the disconnect.

I don't think so, in the terms of affects, it's a drop in the bucket. From my own opinion, I think the distrust comes from decades of mistreatment. Honestly, in this country we've always been treated like we really don't belong. I'll wager every black person in the US can tell you what that's like. Going to the doctor is kind of a toss up. You got folks who only want black doctors because they don't trust white ones based on the belief they won't treat them the same as a white patient. On the flip side, you got black people who won't go to a black doctor based on the belief they're not equally qualified as a white one.

I hope this clears things up.

Yes, it does. Makes sense. I guess it was Janelle's statement below that got me trying to connect the two:

"The article is saying they are concerned because many black men don't go to the doctor as it is and when they do go they want a black doctor. You can thank the Tuskegee experiments and the Eugenics Society for this."

Yes, it does. Makes sense. I guess it was Janelle's statement below that got me trying to connect the two:

"The article is saying they are concerned because many black men don't go to the doctor as it is and when they do go they want a black doctor. You can thank the Tuskegee experiments and the Eugenics Society for this."

Well, she had a different experience. I knew about Tuskegee, but not about Eugenics. Once she told me, I was like that's ****** up. But I'm not shocked, since my grandfather is still alive and I hear about what he had to endure in his youth.

Janelle(not going to share too much without her permission) grew up in a place I shudder to even mention. She's had to fight, claw, scratch, and kick for every thing she's ever owned. And that's why(I think) she's so passionate about things like this. Her knowledge of black history more extensive than my own, because of her upbringing. I'm more of a Charles Xavier kind of dude, she's more like Magneto.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Timeline

Well, she had a different experience. I knew about Tuskegee, but not about Eugenics. Once she told me, I was like that's ****** up. But I'm not shocked, since my grandfather is still alive and I hear about what he had to endure in his youth.

Janelle(not going to share too much without her permission) grew up in a place I shudder to even mention. She's had to fight, claw, scratch, and kick for every thing she's ever owned. And that's why(I think) she's so passionate about things like this. Her knowledge of black history more extensive than my own, because of her upbringing. I'm more of a Charles Xavier kind of dude, she's more like Magneto.

she's like magneto in terms of fear and concern level, but not quite there in her desire for a nuclear solution, so to speak. She's like magneto in the eras where he's actually taught at the Westchester school.

2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

she's like magneto in terms of fear and concern level, but not quite there in her desire for a nuclear solution, so to speak. She's like magneto in the eras where he's actually taught at the Westchester school.

My god, how are you this cool?

But even during that time he struggled, you know? Like he really didn't fit in with the school. But I didn't like they always treated him like a villain, when in reality, he just wanted mutants to be able to live without fear of being extinguished.

I would tell you that Charles and Erik were drawn after two famous people, and that's who I was referring to, but something tells me you already know...

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Timeline

My god, how are you this cool?

But even during that time he struggled, you know? Like he really didn't fit in with the school. But I didn't like they always treated him like a villain, when in reality, he just wanted mutants to be able to live without fear of being extinguished.

I would tell you that Charles and Erik were drawn after two famous people, and that's who I was referring to, but something tells me you already know...

So much metaphor in comics. So much. It's amazing. Malcolm X and MLK if I'm not mistaken? And correct me if I'm remembering wrong. I drifted largely to Avengers over time and my x-men knowledge has started leaking out because of it.

#wherearethebradleys

March 13, 2014 Married!

So much metaphor in comics. So much. It's amazing. Malcolm X and MLK if I'm not mistaken? And correct me if I'm remembering wrong. I drifted largely to Avengers over time and my x-men knowledge has started leaking out because of it.

#wherearethebradleys

I see what you did there. You're correct. Actually, the X-men were basically drawn after black people. That was Stan Lee's vision. Being hated and feared all because you were born different.

Never did like the Avengers. I stayed true to the X titles, Factor, Force, New Mutants, Generation X. Then I dabbled in the New Warriors, Deadpool, Night Stalkers, and Spiderman(way underrated) from time to time. Had a Cable jones for a minute, then went berserk when AoA came out. Let me stop...

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg