KR&EH

Moving household goods across US border

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

We're encountering a confusing situation. I tried to send my fiance across the border with some of my household goods to be moved in advance, and the border officials told him we need a Fiance Visa to move my goods, they turned him back and wouldn't allow my belongings into the US.

I will soon have my Fiance Visa, but I don't want to move all my things at the same time as I personally move to the States. I don't want to rent a moving truck which will cost $200 when instead we can move all my things for free with our own family vehicles, a little at a time. It's such a waste of money.

Has anyone had a similar problem, and how did you end up solving it?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I don't mean to sound insensitive here but you might want to chalk up the $200 to extra cost associated with marrying a person from another country. I have lots of stories about unexpected costs associated with going through this immigration process. By the way, the baggage fees for traveling with 2 not-so-large bags on a one way flight from Colombia to USA was $240, to maybe give you a little perspective. Best of luck on your move. Hope it all works out.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ask this in the Canadian forum or request the mods to move it to the Cdn forum - and no, you definitely could not have moved your belongings before you :) I assume your distance is short since $200 for a moving truck isn't very much. Maybe someone can give you that as a wedding gift?

Hello,

We're encountering a confusing situation. I tried to send my fiance across the border with some of my household goods to be moved in advance, and the border officials told him we need a Fiance Visa to move my goods, they turned him back and wouldn't allow my belongings into the US.

I will soon have my Fiance Visa, but I don't want to move all my things at the same time as I personally move to the States. I don't want to rent a moving truck which will cost $200 when instead we can move all my things for free with our own family vehicles, a little at a time. It's such a waste of money.

Has anyone had a similar problem, and how did you end up solving it?

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

You can move your belongings a little at a time just fine, but not until after you, yourself, have officially crossed. You have 10 years after that to move all your stuff.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Country-specific thread moved from the "Moving to the US" forum to the Canada regional subforum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

My fiancé been moving my belongings every weekend, and he didn't encounter any problem with it, I hope I won't have any problems too when I POE on the 23rd of aug, I already had my visa since May 6..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.