DeadPoolX

Going to Canada? Check your past.

124 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Perhaps its reciprocity.

Was Brazil that objected to the US fingerprinting and photographing non-immigrant visitors, so they imposed the exact same rule on travelling US citizens.

:no: i never had my fingerprints taken by the brazilian consulate in houston and i still got a 5 year visa outta them.

I guess they discontinued it. Here's a story on it from 2004

U.S. and Brazil Fingerprinting: Is It Getting Out of Hand?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think this explains everything.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrCRUKSqj-Q

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Yeah, Canada doesn't allow foreigners to bring weapons in our country--- the same ones that our own citizens are not allowed to have.

Go figure.

That points out that even though Americans and Canadians share the same continent and share a border and look pretty much the same - there are VAST differences in attitudes at the highest levels of government.

English sympathizers - "Torries" fled to Canada because they were against the American Revolution. And don't think for a minute that those very same "sympathies" don't still run deeply in Canadian government. Canada is a British Colony - now they call it part of the "Commonwealth" - LOL.

"Of the people, by the people, and for the people" - Abraham Lincoln - "people" could be substituted with the phrase "common man". Some governments "can't live" with that concept of the power of the "common man" (commoner) - it terrifies them.

Like I said, I can travel freely within the "lower 48" states -- no "check points", no "thorough searches". Canada has absolutely NOTHING to offer that cannot be found in the "lower 48". There is no need for tourism from the U.S. to Canada. Except for Imports and Exports, they could simply build a "Berlin" type WALL between the two and nothing would be the worse. But I will say that the Canadian People (regular folks) that I met while on extensive vacation in 1977 were some of the finest and most hospitable people I have ever met. The PROBLEM is with your government, not the common folk.

You obviously know very little about Canada and/or the Canadian government. It's so sad that you would have that attitude and come into a forum and try to trash Canada. To each it's own, but what you say is senseless. Many Americans enjoy going to Canada and vice versa.

Edited by jane2005

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I think your posts about Canada have been very ignorant.

I know that I have responded to questions of yours in the past on this board and I really don't see how you distinguish between bashing Canada in general and then saying the people are okay. I am really saddened to see this bizarre bigotry based on ONE bad experience at the border.

I wouldn't be surprised if most of the spouses/fiance(e)s of the VJ Community have been hassled by U.S. border officials at some point - that doesn't mean that we decide the entire U.S. is not worht seeing.

Finally - the only place in North America I've ever seen a border checkpoint within the country is in Arizona, so I would think twice about your statements.

Yeah, Canada doesn't allow foreigners to bring weapons in our country--- the same ones that our own citizens are not allowed to have.

Go figure.

That points out that even though Americans and Canadians share the same continent and share a border and look pretty much the same - there are VAST differences in attitudes at the highest levels of government.

English sympathizers - "Torries" fled to Canada because they were against the American Revolution. And don't think for a minute that those very same "sympathies" don't still run deeply in Canadian government. Canada is a British Colony - now they call it part of the "Commonwealth" - LOL.

"Of the people, by the people, and for the people" - Abraham Lincoln - "people" could be substituted with the phrase "common man". Some governments "can't live" with that concept of the power of the "common man" (commoner) - it terrifies them.

Like I said, I can travel freely within the "lower 48" states -- no "check points", no "thorough searches". Canada has absolutely NOTHING to offer that cannot be found in the "lower 48". There is no need for tourism from the U.S. to Canada. Except for Imports and Exports, they could simply build a "Berlin" type WALL between the two and nothing would be the worse. But I will say that the Canadian People (regular folks) that I met while on extensive vacation in 1977 were some of the finest and most hospitable people I have ever met. The PROBLEM is with your government, not the common folk.

Sandy

Michael's I-130:

NOA1: 5-10-2006----updated w/ citizenship: 9-25-06----had to call back 10/25, touch 10/26

12/06/06 - Approved!- - - 12/08/06 - Touch---01/25/07 - Touch

I130 at NVC

12/14/06 - case number assigned

12/25/06 - DS3032 & AOS Fee Bill Mailed (phone system updated 12/27)

12/27/06 - emailed choice of agent; 12/29/06 - received email from NVC confirming choice of agent!

01/01/07 - NVC generated IV Fee Bill (postmarked 1/17 though!)

01/03/07 - returned AoS Fee Bill via Priority Mail (James' shortcut)

01/15/07 - NVC generated AOS package

01/22/07 - received IV Fee Bill - overnighted back to NVC same day

01/27/07 - recieved I864 package; 01/29/07 - overnighted I864 to NVC

01/29/07 - DS230 generated (phone system not updated, email response 2/5/07)

02/05/07 - mailed DS-230 to NVC via express mail

02/20/07 - CASE COMPLETE!!

04/18/07 - INTERVIEW!!!! - APPROVED!!!!

Michael's K-3:

09/28/06 - NOA1

1/25/07 - approved ...NOA2 via snail mail - 1/29/07

03/16/07 - chose not to return packet 3 to Montreal

Beameup's just pissed that the Border Guard didn't genuflect in reverence and kiss his pinky ring, you know...cos he's American.

Like I said my three cousins in the Seattle area warned me beforehand "don't bother going to Canada, they might hassle you at the border". Word gets around and the word is out in the North West U.S. Besides you have enough problems with the "Frogs" and Muslims who have immigrated to the "Great White North". I just tell everyone that the Canadians are terrified of hot sauce (main ingredient in "pepper spray"). Yes, the Canadian Border Guards must protect Canadians from capsaicin invading their country.

The Aussies I know get a real "kick" out of my experience - Canada is the butt of the jokes.

I think your posts about Canada have been very ignorant.

I know that I have responded to questions of yours in the past on this board and I really don't see how you distinguish between bashing Canada in general and then saying the people are okay. I am really saddened to see this bizarre bigotry based on ONE bad experience at the border.

Like I said, I have three cousins (all from different families) who live in the Greater Seattle Area who warned me beforehand about going to Canada - I didn't listen. Countless tales could be told by others living just south of the border with Canada.

When I returned to Seattle and talked to my cousins what did they say to me?? --- "see I told you so!"

Look, like I said, the common people that I met were just fine - no problem - but they are not the ones in control, they are

not the ones who set "National Border Policy". I'm just relating my experience of the "Border Policy" in action.

Don't forget, the car trunk full of C-4 explosives headed for Los Angeles through Canada for the "Millennium Celebration" was fortunately caught at the border crossing in Washington State by alert U.S. Agents. Canada has enough internal problems with the French Canadians and the Muslims who want to live under "Islamic Law". The last thing they need is

some American Tourist to worry about.

Probably the border guard picked up on your superior and insulting attitude and was hoping you'd decide to just go back home and not contaminate Canada with your bs.

Edited by jane2005

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

Beameup's just pissed that the Border Guard didn't genuflect in reverence and kiss his pinky ring, you know...cos he's American.

Like I said my three cousins in the Seattle area warned me beforehand "don't bother going to Canada, they might hassle you at the border". Word gets around and the word is out in the North West U.S. Besides you have enough problems with the "Frogs" and Muslims who have immigrated to the "Great White North". I just tell everyone that the Canadians are terrified of hot sauce (main ingredient in "pepper spray"). Yes, the Canadian Border Guards must protect Canadians from capsaicin invading their country.

The Aussies I know get a real "kick" out of my experience - Canada is the butt of the jokes.

Generally speaking it is coming back from Canada, and US Customs, where the problems and or hassles arise. I have never had anything but a great time in Canada, although I have really only seen from Vancouver BC south. Vancouver is a beautiful city, and the people are always very nice.

Going to a foreign country is a privilege and not a right. If Canada has opted to toughen its border checks, so be it.

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Filed: Timeline

well if three of your relatives said so AND you had your car searched it must be true :rolleyes:

I'm shocked you petitioned a foreign spouse. Usually people with xenophobic attitudes like yours wouldn't be so open minded as to embrace DIFFERENCES.

Canada is lovely, and there's much to see....so there, I've equalized one of your cousins' opinions. But the sad thing is that you're so close minded that you're missing out on a lot.

Edited by LisaD

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Grenada
Timeline

I grew up in Maine, and mmost of my life I've had someone ask "isn't that Canada?"

While Maine is definatly NOT Candada, it was never an insult. Many people in Maine are from, or 1st generation from Canada. Lot's of those horrible Franco's (sic). Actually French is unofficially the second language in Maine because of it. The immigrants there have enriched the state tremendously...heck, my grandmother was Canadian (Halifax). I have many friends that grew up on the northern border and considered Quebec their backyard. I guess my point is, not all Americans view the border issues as a one sided, you aren't going to let me in kinda way. I know in border town across Northern Maine, there is a lot of heartache on both sides with long waiting times to cross the border, and the loss of that neighborly feel (no more smiles and waves with a drivers license). But as pointed out before, we live in different times now so we all need to adjust. Let's just hope that there continues to be moderation in the policies of both sides of the border to lessen the negative impact of heightened security.

As Maine was one of the POE for the 9/11 terrorists, I have NO problem with security being a little more aware....on both sides!

Sue

grenada.gifusa.gif

"We owe something to extravagance for thrift and adventure go seldom hand in hand." JJC

Timeline

Was no different when I was doing UN peacekeeping check points in Croatia in 1993. When you pulled them over to check their vehicles for illegal items, the more of a jerk they were to you, the more their car got searched, as one thought they may be hiding stuff, which many times they were. And out of random, we did check cars more throughly, just like out of random the Immigration process does further security reviews on some people.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

no wonder you got stopped at the border :lol:

Funny, just a quick stop at the border when crossing into Canada during the 1970's.

But as they say "times have changed". - now there is that horrific scourge called "pepper spray" to contend with.

Of course, the fearsome "pepper spray" was not available in the 1970's.

Other than a high caliber bullet, pepper spray is one of the very few things that will stop a Polar Bear in it's tracks.

As for me (and many others), if I want to experience the frozen tundra I'll just go directly to Alaska by ferry or plane.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BC bud - Canada's billion dollar industry:

http://www.bcbudonline.com/

"Our British Columbia cannabis seeds have Great Feminized Varieties available as well as regular ones. If you are looking for the best indoor, greenhouse or outdoor marijuana seeds, with Free Delivery Discreetly World-wide, check out our full seed bank now."

Timeline

Know what the second largest crop in Florida is? Marijuana!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Wow. Anyone else suspecting that there may have been a reason beammeup was subject to extra inspection?

Never heard of someone being bigoted against Canadians before. That takes a special kind of effort.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07