DeadPoolX

Going to Canada? Check your past.

124 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I have been reading some of your reply's I need to share That I am a canadian and live on the border of Windsor and Detroit. I have spent many a days crossing the border. So call me an expert crosser, and what you all need to know is that the American Border has the exact rules and stipulations I have friends With old records who have crossed the border with me for years. Only to find out that they one day they can no longer cross. THESE ARE NOT ONLY CANADAS RULES THEY ARE ALSO YOUR BORDERS RULES. tHAT THE PRICE WE PAY FOR LIVING IN A POST 911 WORLD. So go get your little minsters permint ( that you should have no problem getting if you've been free on crime all these years) ands quit complaning and thinking you should get special treatment because you are american!!! :no:

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
These weren't people going out and committing serious crimes. No one murdered or assaulted or raped or sexually abused anyone. As I said before, I can see Canada being a bit strict on the whole DUI/DWI thing, but as far as minor offenses (like smoking marijuana in the 1970's) go, I think that's being overly stringent.

Doesn't the US have the same policy regarding prior drug charges?

Yes they do and it is just as hard to grt into the states if you have a criminal record of any sort.

signed,

an expert crosser

Timeline

Why do americans think they should get special treatment. Your county has the exact same laws. I cross the border almost daily and was told if you had any record at all you could not cross. We live in a post 911 world get your perment, if you have been criminal record free since this should not be a problem. and get over it. I have canadian friends that have had to go through the same thing. It's not that we don't want you here . We want your money, but the safety of the country comes first. Something you americans should understand So if we should feel safe with you in the country prove iut get your littloe perment and let it go.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Simple possession by a Canadian is considered a misdemeanor and growers get a slap-on-the-wrist. Vancoover, B.C. is famous for people smoking dope on the public streets and "head shops" are plentiful.

Marijuana shown up in a blood screening at a medical makes people ineligible for a visa to the U.S. There's at least two people on this board whose spouse or fiance is on a 3 year ban because of that AND they have to show that they've gone through "rehabilitation" for those 3 years before they can have a petition filed for them again.

FWIW, there have been many raids on grow-ops in the past year throughout Ontario and probably other provinces.

As it's already been stated many times, the U.S. has the same regulations as Canada does. I don't know why everyone's getting so pissy about it. You're crossing into a different country, not just crossing the street.

Edited by misa

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

I have been reading some of your reply's I need to share That I am a canadian and live on the border of Windsor and Detroit. I have spent many a days crossing the border. So call me an expert crosser, and what you all need to know is that the American Border has the exact rules and stipulations I have friends With old records who have crossed the border with me for years. Only to find out that they one day they can no longer cross. THESE ARE NOT ONLY CANADAS RULES THEY ARE ALSO YOUR BORDERS RULES. tHAT THE PRICE WE PAY FOR LIVING IN A POST 911 WORLD. So go get your little minsters permint ( that you should have no problem getting if you've been free on crime all these years) ands quit complaning and thinking you should get special treatment because you are american!!! :no:

When I crossed with my filipina wife and filipina mother-in-law in 1997 upon driving up the ramp in Victoria to exit the ferry boat, the "officer" asked me only three questions (other than what is your Nationality):

1. q: do you have any guns?

a: no

2. q: do you have any pepper spray?

a. no

3. q. do you have any mace?

a. no

He then motioned me to pull over up the ramp about 50 yards and 3 people began searching my pick-up truck with campershell. After 1/2 hour spreading everything out on the asphalt and then putting it back I thought I was finally ready to leave. But NO, the supervisor motioned for them to "keep looking" and the whole process was repeated.

I happen to be a career US Federal Employee and dress very well, the pick-up was almost new, my wife and mother-in-law were with me. I was the only one that said anything and just politely answered the THREE questions.

So I concluded that the Canadian authorities are terrified of innocent looking Americans that might be in possession of 1. guns, 2. pepper spray, 3. mace.

This was in 1997.

Edited by beameup

My husband had some sort of record for pot found in his locker (he was 18 and in high school). He's never had any issues entering Canada because of it. Once he and the customs officer were laughing about it when the customs officer was able to tell him the date of his conviction.

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
When I crossed with my filipina wife and filipina mother-in-law in 1997 upon driving up the ramp in Victoria to exit the ferry boat, the "officer" asked me only three questions (other than what is your Nationality):

1. q: do you have any guns?

a: no

2. q: do you have any pepper spray?

a. no

3. q. do you have any mace?

a. no

He then motioned me to pull over up the ramp about 50 yards and 3 people began searching my pick-up truck with campershell. After 1/2 hour spreading everything out on the asphalt and then putting it back I thought I was finally ready to leave. But NO, the supervisor motioned for them to "keep looking" and the whole process was repeated.

I happen to be a career US Federal Employee and dress very well, the pick-up was almost new, my wife and mother-in-law were with me. I was the only one that said anything and just politely answered the THREE questions.

So I concluded that the Canadian authorities are terrified of innocent looking Americans that might be in possession of 1. guns, 2. pepper spray, 3. mace.

This was in 1997.

Sorry this happened to you, but do you seriously think this does not happen on both sides of the border, to all kinds of people? I can remember being very small (so obviously long before 9/11) and crossing into the US with my parents (for the record, since it seems important to you, we're all white) and having the car torn apart. And I can remember it happening upon returning to Canada once too. There have been times when I was over in immigration paying duty (Canada side) I've seen them tearing apart cars that belonged to all sorts of people. When you enter another country, there is always the chance that they are going to inspect you and all of your belongings. I said this in the other thread of this nature, entering a foreign country is a privilege, not a right.

Gun laws are much tighter in Canada, and pepper spray and mace are (or at least were) illegal for civilians.

It happens on both sides and for various reasons. A long time back (not sure about now), Canada Customs had to perform x number of random searches per x number of vehicles.

I've been in a car with my brother in law in the late 70's and early 80's while he was a Landed Immigrant in Canada (originally from an Iron Curtain country) and have been through a few extensive searches on the US side.

Once, I had all my possessions/car extensively searched, this included having my unopened box of feminine hygiene products violated by US Customs. I was also asked no less than FIVE times if I intended to work in the US (no idea where that was coming from seeing as I went as far as to offer them my employer's phone number so they could confirm that I was on vacation and expected back in 2 weeks).

Anyway, it has nothing to do with Canada not welcoming Americans.

Edited by jane2005

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

Sorry this happened to you, but do you seriously think this does not happen on both sides of the border, to all kinds of people? I can remember being very small (so obviously long before 9/11) and crossing into the US with my parents (for the record, since it seems important to you, we're all white) and having the car torn apart. And I can remember it happening upon returning to Canada once too. There have been times when I was over in immigration paying duty (Canada side) I've seen them tearing apart cars that belonged to all sorts of people. When you enter another country, there is always the chance that they are going to inspect you and all of your belongings. I said this in the other thread of this nature, entering a foreign country is a privilege, not a right.

Gun laws are much tighter in Canada, and pepper spray and mace are (or at least were) illegal for civilians.

Look, like I said, there is absolutely no reason for an American to drive into Canada. Leave Canada for the Candians. I have three cousins that have lived in the greater Seattle area for decades and they all tell me the same story - don't bother going to Canada you will just get hassled at the border. These are not hoodlum types - one is a paramedic, one is U.S. Army Reserve officer, one works in the shipping industry. There is NOTHING in Canada that you can't find in the United States - same green trees, same nice rivers, good fishing, good hunting, good skiing, cars look the same, gasoline is the same, prices are the same.

I live very close to the Mexican border and have driven across at least a thousand times - the Mexican border guards just wave you through - you don't even slow down. There is a big sign when you enter "Welcome to Mexico". I started going there with my father for haircuts and cheap gas when I was 12 yrs. old and NOTHING has changed. The MEXICANS appreciate "Yankee Dollars" in their economy.

Leave Canada to the Canadians - (and anyone they want to immigrate to their country).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Not sure what the big fuss is!! It works both ways. Canadians if they have drug, and other convictions can be denied entry into the USA, just as anyone trying to get into Canada. An acquintance of mine was denied entry into the USA because he had a minor charge!! The part that sucked was that he was a long haul truck driver!

I highly doubt border guards gave you a hard time since your spouse were not caucasions, Canada is much more ethnic friendly than the USA will ever be. Your vehicle may have fit a description that they were looking, who knows. Never fun getting stuff thrown apart. And some border crossing can be more of a pain than others. I totally disagree about finding everything in the USA than one can find in Canada,but I'm not even going to go that route, lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Perhaps its reciprocity.

Was Brazil that objected to the US fingerprinting and photographing non-immigrant visitors, so they imposed the exact same rule on travelling US citizens.

:no: i never had my fingerprints taken by the brazilian consulate in houston and i still got a 5 year visa outta them.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Wah, wah, I'm gonna throw a temper tantrum because baddie immigwation looked in my twuck. Are they supposed to treat you as a citizen of the Roman Empire and wave you through because you're wearing nice clothes? Seriously, people have had harder times in secondary coming into the U.S. I've been waved through at the Windsor crossing with a glance at my passport.

And I doubt it was the Filipina thing; not only does Canada actually allow Filipinos to get work visas to come to Canada, my experience is that even in the rural areas (where C. is from), an interracial marriage (C.'s uncle met a Filipina at a party, they married, beautiful daughter) doesn't raise half the amount of eyebrows it would in my hometown.

I suspect this newish change is just first easier collection of data, and second reciprocity. The U.S. is clamping down, so Canada does the same.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Look, like I said, there is absolutely no reason for an American to drive into Canada. Leave Canada for the Candians. I have three cousins that have lived in the greater Seattle area for decades and they all tell me the same story - don't bother going to Canada you will just get hassled at the border. These are not hoodlum types - one is a paramedic, one is U.S. Army Reserve officer, one works in the shipping industry. There is NOTHING in Canada that you can't find in the United States - same green trees, same nice rivers, good fishing, good hunting, good skiing, cars look the same, gasoline is the same, prices are the same.

I live very close to the Mexican border and have driven across at least a thousand times - the Mexican border guards just wave you through - you don't even slow down. There is a big sign when you enter "Welcome to Mexico". I started going there with my father for haircuts and cheap gas when I was 12 yrs. old and NOTHING has changed. The MEXICANS appreciate "Yankee Dollars" in their economy.

Leave Canada to the Canadians - (and anyone they want to immigrate to their country).

What a seriously sad (and frankly kind of silly) attitude. You'll miss out on a lot if you won't go to any country that wants to inspect you first. Aren't we all here because the US government says fiances/spouses of US citizens must apply for visas first? That's a lot bigger of a hassle than having your car inspected. I had to let a doctor take my blood and look at my ####### and then I had to give the FBI my fingerprints, some customs officials looked through your stuff, tell me which is more invasive?

Enjoy the US and Mexico!

Filed: Timeline

What a seriously sad (and frankly kind of silly) attitude. You'll miss out on a lot if you won't go to any country that wants to inspect you first. Aren't we all here because the US government says fiances/spouses of US citizens must apply for visas first? That's a lot bigger of a hassle than having your car inspected. I had to let a doctor take my blood and look at my ####### and then I had to give the FBI my fingerprints, some customs officials looked through your stuff, tell me which is more invasive?

Enjoy the US and Mexico!

You took the words right out of my mouth.

I think the attitude displayed above is the stereotypical American which is what the ROW thinks we all are & that's why they have the image of us that they do. Big deal, they searched your car! I was detained for 9 hours on my first trip to the UK...doesn't mean they have nowt to offer & I should have stayed in the US.

There is a whole world out there, not just the US, and if you take the attitude that you have....then do the rest of us a favor and stay in the US so ya stop giving us a bad name :)