tinabina1

After you enter on a Spouse CR1 visa in US what documentations and procedures further have to take place

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hey, hope everyone is doing well.
i wanted to ask that after you have the CR1 visa (i130 for lawfully admitting spouse) what further needs to be done AFTER YOU HAVE ENTERED USA. Please kindly guide me about every step and procedure that follows that helps in obtaining a green card.
I mean i heard that you have to register your marriage again? (please tell me WHERE you have to register) only then your Two years in america will count?
Also where all do i have to apply for a green card or a PR card? do i get that as as soon as i enter?
what about my social security number? and What card will i get when i enter usa?
Also do i have to go to any special US immigration or government office where they can acknowledge my arrival and the two years probationary period for CR1 visa start? Because i have heard cases where spouses were careless and didn't register after marriage and their better halves had to suffer the consequences.

If there is a website for this and someone can share it over here that will be really nice, i tried to search it online but all websites help in the "before coming to america" process.
A DETAILED ANSWER WILL BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED

If one has a CR1 visa then they already have the visa issued in the passport. An I-130 approval is not enough to obtain a visa.

I think it is best for you to go and read the step by steps on the CR1 process here on the site and that will give you all the information you require as your questions will more than likely be answered when you read it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** Moving from K1 Fiancee visa to Moving to the US forum *****

Assuming you paid the $165 fee for the greencard, it will come in a few weeks (but can take a couple of months) to the address you gave; until you get the physical card, the stamp you get on entry on the visa page in your passport acts as a temp greencard.

You do NOT have to register your marriage again.

The SSN should arrive within a month, but if you prefer, wait ten days after entry and then go to your local SS office, they can tell you the number.

There is no need to register yourself anywhere, the envelope you give to immigration at the port of entry will take care of that. Your two years start counting from the day you enter.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

I married in Bangladesh but I don't change any of my documents in USA even I still used my same name I am in trouble for that?

Changing your name is up to you. My wife still uses her maiden name so her GC and passport have the same name. You can change your name for free at the removal of conditions (ROC) stage or at naturalization or never--as I said it is up to you.

When you enter the USA for the first time, you will hand over the brown "DO NOT OPEN" envelop to the CBP officer and they will open it and inspect the documents. Most likely you will be take to secondary inspection--allow extra time if you have a connecting flight. At the end of all this your spousal visa will be stamped and it becomes an I-551 document which is the same document number as the GC (so the endorsed visa becomes your temporary GC). You pick up your luggage and either leave the airport or hand the luggage off to go to your final destination in the US. You pay $165 to the ELIS system to receive the actual plastic GC. Now you live your life in the US for the next 2 years keeping evidence of your marriage and life together with your spouse. 90 days before the GC expires you file to remove the conditions on your GC (ROC)--you file the I-751 form. You might want to take a look at what it requires so you are prepared. Then you receive your 10 year GC and have another year to wait before you can file for citizenship should you remain married and follow all the rules to remain eligible.

Dave

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

thank you everyone for your detailed answers! much appreciated!
i would also like to ask is there any known site that help me in these processes once you HAVE ENTERED USA, all sites that ive searched help in the immigration process only.

• 3 months later...

Hi Dave,

thank you for the information! Do you know how long it takes for the inspection of the DO NOT OPEN envelope?

I will be flying from Hong Kong to San Francisco (that would be my POE), then to Tucson.

And there is a 2 hour layover In San Francisco. Do you think it is enough...?

Changing your name is up to you. My wife still uses her maiden name so her GC and passport have the same name. You can change your name for free at the removal of conditions (ROC) stage or at naturalization or never--as I said it is up to you.

When you enter the USA for the first time, you will hand over the brown "DO NOT OPEN" envelop to the CBP officer and they will open it and inspect the documents. Most likely you will be take to secondary inspection--allow extra time if you have a connecting flight. At the end of all this your spousal visa will be stamped and it becomes an I-551 document which is the same document number as the GC (so the endorsed visa becomes your temporary GC). You pick up your luggage and either leave the airport or hand the luggage off to go to your final destination in the US. You pay $165 to the ELIS system to receive the actual plastic GC. Now you live your life in the US for the next 2 years keeping evidence of your marriage and life together with your spouse. 90 days before the GC expires you file to remove the conditions on your GC (ROC)--you file the I-751 form. You might want to take a look at what it requires so you are prepared. Then you receive your 10 year GC and have another year to wait before you can file for citizenship should you remain married and follow all the rules to remain eligible.

Dave

We have plenty of information on this forum about what to do after entry. There is a long standing thread about ELIS and the hardy copy green card. There is an SSN how to thread, and also a tax and finances forum when it's time to file taxes.

This moving to the US forum contains a lot of information on driver's licenses and health insurance.

All you have to do it is look and the information is likely right there.

Make sure you're on a PC and use the guides, and the advanced search. :)

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi Dave,

thank you for the information! Do you know how long it takes for the inspection of the DO NOT OPEN envelope?

I will be flying from Hong Kong to San Francisco (that would be my POE), then to Tucson.

And there is a 2 hour layover In San Francisco. Do you think it is enough...?

IMHO, a 2 hour layover is not enough. You have to go through custom, pick up your bags at the international terminal, go to the domestic terminal, check your bags to Tucson, and be at the gate 10 minutes before takeoff.

A lot will depend on the time of day you fly into SFO and the numbers of international flights coming in at the same time. Some parts of the day is busier than others. I've been in the international terminal when it's relatively empty and when it's full. Depends on things you can not plan for. Better to play it safe with a 4 hours layover and having to wait a few hours rather than the chance you miss your connection and have to deal with the hassle of rebooking.

Edited by aaron2020

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.