Ms Niss

Can i use a husband car?

42 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

All that should need to be done is a phone call to the insurance agent by your husband stating that his is married, his wife's name and information....Date of Birth, Driver's License number etc etc. You simply need to be added as a driver to his policy. This is usually required when one lives in the same household as the policy holder.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

As long has he has "full coverage" on the cars, it should cover you. But it would be best if he were to add you as an insured driver on his insurance policy. It would not be considered a "joint" policy, you would just be added to the policy as a driver of one or both cars.

Melinda (Malak) & Hemza

Filed: Timeline

Thanks, in this case to be added in his insurance car is optional and not required, right?

I don't know all state requirements, but I highly doubt it is optional.

I've lived in four states over the past twenty years and each state has required me to list all licensed drivers living in my home, whether we were married, related, or not. Even my ex-wife, when we were married, had to be listed even though she never had a driver's license.

It could potentially be an issue if there is an accident with a large claim - your insurance company is going to look for a way to avoid paying the claim - if there is a requirement that you be listed and you are not, then the insurance company would say 'hey, you didn't comply with the policy requirements, therefore we are not liable for the claim' in which case the opposing party could come after your marital assets to satisfy their claim.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

As long has he has "full coverage" on the cars, it should cover you. But it would be best if he were to add you as an insured driver on his insurance policy. It would not be considered a "joint" policy, you would just be added to the policy as a driver of one or both cars.

Full coverage has nothing to do with it..........

Hello! Going to jump in here real quick. I am an auto insurance agent in Texas, just do remember that ever state is different.

You do need to be added to his insurance policy. Any driver in the household that has access to the car needs to be included in the policy otherwise the company may not cover. When you don't have to be on the policy is when you don't live in the same household because you don't have daily access to the car, which is not your case since you live with him. So just get added on as soon as possible before anything happens. All you have to do is call your husband's insurance agent and ask them for the quote and see weather you have to come into the office or if it can be done over the phone.

Good luck with everything!

August 8, 1998 - Arrived in the USA with a B-2 Visitor Visa at the age of 8

Jan. or Feb. 2004 - Met my husband in front of the high school's cafeteria

May 2006 - My husband and I graduated high school and lost touch

September 2008 - Reconnected with my husband and began an on and off relationship.

June 8, 2012 - Moved in together

December 27, 2013 - Had our son

October 21, 2014 - Finally got married after putting it off for too long

June 2, 2015 - Sent AOS package

June 4, 2015 - Package received by USCIS

June 9, 2015 - Biometrics Fee Accepted

June 10, 2015 - Received Text that the package was received

June 16, 2015 - NOA1 Received

June 20, 2015 - EAD Biometrics Appointment Letter Received

June 22, 2015 - AOS Form I-485 Biometrics Appointment Letter Received

June 30, 2015 - Biometrics Done

August 7, 2015 - EAD/AP Approved and EAD status changed to Card Being Produced

August 17, 2015 - EAD/AP Card Was Mailed

August 20, 2015 - EAD/AP Card Received :dancing:

August 25, 2015 - Applied for SSN

September 1, 2015 - Got SSN from Mailbox might've been delivered earlier

September 3, 2015 - Applied for TX ID

September 16, 2015 - Received TX ID in mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

The issue here I believe is the spouse doesn't want to add her to the policy because the rates will go up as she is a new driver. Every state and insurance company I lived in required us to list every licensed driver in the household. If he fails to do so and she is in an accident it could be, depending on the way the insurance is written, that she wouldn't be covered for the accident.

Bottom line, he needs to stop being cheap because it may cost him in the long run.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Incorrect.

Community Property states if you own a car or house or asset before a marriage it is yours. Only things accumulated during the marriage is community property.

That's not true in every state. I'm pretty sure Wisconsin is a community property state, a police officer is going to shrug his shoulders and say you can't steal from each other if someone were to take the others vehicle regardless of when it was purchased. It may be true in court, but police officers aren't lawyers. I wouldn't test this though.

Timeline

The issue here I believe is the spouse doesn't want to add her to the policy because the rates will go up as she is a new driver. Every state and insurance company I lived in required us to list every licensed driver in the household. If he fails to do so and she is in an accident it could be, depending on the way the insurance is written, that she wouldn't be covered for the accident.

Bottom line, he needs to stop being cheap because it may cost him in the long run.

That's what I think is going on too, but she shouldn't have got her license. It will go up once they find out and they usually do. I don't think it's cheap though, if she doesn't have a car what is the point of the license? My wife isn't getting her license until we have a child, otherwise it's just a waste of $7-800 a month for something that is barely used. She certainly will never drive my car, maybe if I'm dying but even then I think I'd wait for the ambulance, the risk of her driving is probably worse than whatever is killing me at the time.

Timeline

That's not true in every state. I'm pretty sure Wisconsin is a community property state, a police officer is going to shrug his shoulders and say you can't steal from each other if someone were to take the others vehicle regardless of when it was purchased. It may be true in court, but police officers aren't lawyers. I wouldn't test this though.

Community Property I am using as in terms of divorce. I think the poster was a little confused when she posted about community property

Timeline

That's what I think is going on too, but she shouldn't have got her license. It will go up once they find out and they usually do. I don't think it's cheap though, if she doesn't have a car what is the point of the license? My wife isn't getting her license until we have a child, otherwise it's just a waste of $7-800 a month for something that is barely used. She certainly will never drive my car, maybe if I'm dying but even then I think I'd wait for the ambulance, the risk of her driving is probably worse than whatever is killing me at the time.

$700 to $800 per month? You sure that figure is correct

I have 5 cars insured and only pay like $300 per year per vehicle thru state farm.

I have not seen an increase in my insurance when I added my wife.....

I have 5 cars insured and only pay like $300 per year per vehicle thru state farm.

I was thinking the same thing!

Plus insurance usually goes up depending on the person's driving record, credit (if credit based), and age. Also on the vehicle/s listed.

I pay $165 for 2 cars (1 Full Coverage, 1 Liability) with State Farm and that's also including renters and life on my husband. Oh and also me with no license.

August 8, 1998 - Arrived in the USA with a B-2 Visitor Visa at the age of 8

Jan. or Feb. 2004 - Met my husband in front of the high school's cafeteria

May 2006 - My husband and I graduated high school and lost touch

September 2008 - Reconnected with my husband and began an on and off relationship.

June 8, 2012 - Moved in together

December 27, 2013 - Had our son

October 21, 2014 - Finally got married after putting it off for too long

June 2, 2015 - Sent AOS package

June 4, 2015 - Package received by USCIS

June 9, 2015 - Biometrics Fee Accepted

June 10, 2015 - Received Text that the package was received

June 16, 2015 - NOA1 Received

June 20, 2015 - EAD Biometrics Appointment Letter Received

June 22, 2015 - AOS Form I-485 Biometrics Appointment Letter Received

June 30, 2015 - Biometrics Done

August 7, 2015 - EAD/AP Approved and EAD status changed to Card Being Produced

August 17, 2015 - EAD/AP Card Was Mailed

August 20, 2015 - EAD/AP Card Received :dancing:

August 25, 2015 - Applied for SSN

September 1, 2015 - Got SSN from Mailbox might've been delivered earlier

September 3, 2015 - Applied for TX ID

September 16, 2015 - Received TX ID in mail

Timeline

That's car payment and insurance, actually that's low with gas and misc it's probably higher. I realize the OP wants to use one of her husbands cars, but I'm assuming he doesn't want that.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.