Tompearson

Medical in London, admitted to drugs but wont come back positive. Used only once in life.

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all,

So I had my medical today up in London and went through the whole procedure. On the form I had stated that I had not used drugs but when in the room was grilled pretty hard on the subject. I mentioned that yes, I had once tried marijuana a few years ago but it was so insignificant and little that I said that was why I hadn't put it. I am a very honest person and thought it to be nothing, but realised upon leaving what a huge mistake I had made.

She wrote down on the forms that I had once used it but did not buy it or anything and made me do a drug test which I was fine with. I can guarantee it will come back negative as I NEVER do drugs. I have once before in the past but it's not something I ever do.

I'm really worried. How will this affect my chances of getting my visa if and when it comes back negative? Will I be denied simple because I tried one puff of a friends smoke years ago?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

I think you will likely be approved. Hope so.

So out of curiosity, I am wondering about everybody else. If you were in the same situation, would you be that honest?

I think I am very honest. I just went back in a convenience store when I realized the clueless girl gave me back an extra dollar in change. We found a smart phone in Target and went to a big effort to find the owner. I report tips to the IRS when a customer gives my husband a $100 bill in addition to paying the invoice for working on their home network. And so on many, many times.

But when it came to this, I would never, ever admit to drug use or anti-depressant use at Knightsbridge clinic unless it was on my police certificate.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Usually a one year delay but you will have to see what happens at the interview.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Nich-Nick - can you please tell us more about anti-depressants - what are the consequences if you are currently taking them or have taken them in the past? How can you avoid them finding out, because it's on your medical records? I am actually at a point of deciding whether to recommence taking them again (stopped last year, last had a prescription issued in April 2014)

So out of curiosity, I am wondering about everybody else. If you were in the same situation, would you be that honest?

The key issue is whether it has been recorded anywhere. If it is not in any personal medical records or Police records, and the person concerned has not touched recreational drugs for years, then the only way it will show up is if the person concerned admits to it. If they don't admit to it, it's impossible for Knightsbridge or the Embassy to find out. Thus if someone tried marijuna just a few times years ago, it is pointless mentioning that and putting a hurdle in their visa application.

That's how I would approach it.

N400 Naturalization

Applied - 07/21/2022

NOA - 07/21/2022

Biometrics - Re-used

Interview - 11/03/2022 (Passed!)

Oath Ceremony - 11/08/2022

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

I think you will likely be approved. Hope so.

I think I am very honest. I just went back in a convenience store when I realized the clueless girl gave me back an extra dollar in change. We found a smart phone in Target and went to a big effort to find the owner. I report tips to the IRS when a customer gives my husband a $100 bill in addition to paying the invoice for working on their home network. And so on many, many times.

But when it came to this, I would never, ever admit to drug use or anti-depressant use at Knightsbridge clinic unless it was on my police certificate.

I would not be (and was not!) that honest. If I found someone's wallet/phone I would make the effort to return it, because I know what it's like to lose something. But telling the doctor this doesn't benefit anyone. The fact that you've smoked weed once in your life shouldn't have any impact on your future prospects/ immigration/ marriage/ happiness. Unfortunately, I don't know if they see it that way, so I wouldn't even take the risk by telling them.

Good luck, Tom!

Paul (UK) and Brianna (USA) <3

January 2012 - Met in Manchester, UK

29th Sept 2014 - Sent I-129F

8th Oct 2014 - NOA1 received by email/text

9th Nov 2014 - *Officially* engaged in Edinburgh, UK

28th Dec 2014 - Visited Brianna in the US for 10 days

17th April 2015 - Visited Brianna in the US for 1 month

21st May 2015 - NOA2 received by email (225 days)

8th June 2015 - Sent to NVC (19 days)

15th June 2015 - Received by NVC (8 days)

16th June 2015 - Case number assigned

18th June 2015 - Left NVC

22nd June 2015 - Medical

23rd June 2015 - ​Received at London

23rd June 2015 - DS-160 submitted

28th June 2015 - Readinesss form submitted

29th June 2015 - Received packet 3

14th July 2015 - Received packet 4

6th August 2015 - Interview - Approved!

12th August 2015 - AP

13th August 2015 - Issued

18th August 2015 - Visa delivered (Home delivery)

21st August 2015 - POE

1st October 2015 - Wedding!

20th October 2015 - Mailed adjustment of status application

27th November 2015 - Honeymoon! 9 days in U.S. Virgin Islands

• 2 years later...
Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi Tom, what was the outcome of this? I just did the same thing and am seriously kicking myself now. I was grilled extremely hard and felt I had to be honest about trying it or else they might suspect dishonesty and check that little "patient is being dishonest" box which again could hinder visa chances. Now I am sick with worry that I will get a one year ban. How did yours turn out?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
8 hours ago, ammez said:

Hi Tom, what was the outcome of this? I just did the same thing and am seriously kicking myself now. I was grilled extremely hard and felt I had to be honest about trying it or else they might suspect dishonesty and check that little "patient is being dishonest" box which again could hinder visa chances. Now I am sick with worry that I will get a one year ban. How did yours turn out?

This thread is 2.5 years old. Tom hasn't been on Visa Journey since June 2016 when he posted he had received his greencard without interview.

Timeline

HEY AMMEZ!

This popped up in my inbox and I felt the need to respond in case any people have a similar issue in the future. Wuozopo is correct and has checked my posts. I got processed all fine and haven't been online for some time. I moved to NY where I currently work and live (for the past 2 years almost) and received my GC in the mail without interview 8 months early. 

I have to say that I think I passed all of this due to being from a "low fraud" country... for basically being white. It is an unjust system to say the least and I am incredibly fortunate to have won the lottery. I feel for anyone who is given a hard time through this system as it is long, tiring and stressful enough.

If I could do the medical again I would probably say no to have taken anything. I am the same as you ammez, incredibly honest but in all reality I am not a drug user. You have to remember that governments arn't perfect, they are people too and you can't blindly trust them to do the right thing.

Nevertheless, I wish you all the best. I was honest in my medical and I have not had any repercussions as of yet. I heard of a guy who told them he was a heavy heroin user for 6 years who was also fine.

All the best.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
15 hours ago, Tompearson said:

HEY AMMEZ!

This popped up in my inbox and I felt the need to respond in case any people have a similar issue in the future. Wuozopo is correct and has checked my posts. I got processed all fine and haven't been online for some time. I moved to NY where I currently work and live (for the past 2 years almost) and received my GC in the mail without interview 8 months early. 

I have to say that I think I passed all of this due to being from a "low fraud" country... for basically being white. It is an unjust system to say the least and I am incredibly fortunate to have won the lottery. I feel for anyone who is given a hard time through this system as it is long, tiring and stressful enough.

If I could do the medical again I would probably say no to have taken anything. I am the same as you ammez, incredibly honest but in all reality I am not a drug user. You have to remember that governments arn't perfect, they are people too and you can't blindly trust them to do the right thing.

Nevertheless, I wish you all the best. I was honest in my medical and I have not had any repercussions as of yet. I heard of a guy who told them he was a heavy heroin user for 6 years who was also fine.

All the best.

Thank you so much for your reply, it has put me at ease a little more.  So you didn't end up receiving a one year ban? That is fantastic. I've literally been worrying myself sick over it and I know I just have to wait.  I know honesty is the best way and morally it was the right thing to do but lord, I wish I hadn't been so honest.  That being said, it was a bit catch 22 as the doctor could have easily checked the box saying she believed me to be dishonest so I suppose it's a good thing. I just hate the idea of yet another year of not being together.  Time will tell, thanks so much for your response Tom!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.