jv0814

Bringing my parents to the US

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: Mexico
Timeline

i recently became a us citizen and i am ready to petition for my parents but i don't know if i need to file a i-130 for both or one for each. can any one answer my question please thank you.. i also have a 17 year old sister that i want to know how to help her immigrate to the us.. on the i130 it asks if anyone will come along and i would like to know if that's where i put my little sister's name? thank you in advance

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

They each have their own petition, now Parents do not need to wait for a visa number as they are an immediate relative, sister would have a loooong wait.

Once your Parents get here they can also petition her. If you get a move on she should be able to get here before she is 21, otherwise I think it is nearer 20 years.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

ditto

parents are filed separately and there are no derivatives, so your sister can't come with them. does she have someone to stay with?

once your parents come they can file for her, it will take around 2 years of waiting, and over 1 year for them to come

so as soon as they get here, they should file for her

another option that a lot of people do when they have minor children under 21, is you file for one of them, for example your dad, he comes to the US over a year

once he's here, he files for your mom and your sister, as long as she is under 21, she would be your mom's derivative

Filed: IR-5 Country: Mexico
Timeline

i'll see what happens. so a i-130 for each and i have 3 married sisters i'm going to petition for them too. so one for each correct.. what's faster for me to petition or for my father to petition for them.

Timeline

Quicker for you to petition for them.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Lots of Mexicans wish to move to the US.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You minor sister cannot benefit from your parent's visa. Derivatives are not allowed in the IR5 category.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

i checked the procesing times for f4 and omg 17 years of visa wait frame. why super long. i just hope my little sister can enter the us with my parents as a minor child.

Hi,

It's long because there are many US citizens who petition for their Mexican siblings to immigrate to the US. There are limited numbers of visas per year. Once gone, people have to wait.

There is no way for your little sister to enter the US with your parents as a minor child. Derivative beneficiaries are not allowed when you petition for your parents.

Best of luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.