Volta-Region

Urgent! Was was denied visa in Ghana today

219 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

The attorney is taking care of everything for me. He contacted my senators office. I hope we all hear good news soon.

Ok. You should probably tell him or her to send evidence along with any letter or email they send to the senator office, and not just a letter. That's what I did and they forwarded my email to the consulate general including all attachments. Just a piece of advice. How long you gonna be in Ghana?

Sorry about the outcome. Hang in there. How did you meet?

My husband was also denied a visa last Monday at the US embassy in Ghana. We did not see that coming at all. We had so much proof. He had a extra large 3 ring binder and over 200 pics. The lady that did his interview was American and would not look at all the proof. She said the marriage seemed staged because of how we met. She would only look at 1 page of skype and it had a couple missed calls on it. Then that day we talked for 10 mins on Skype. That was due to that day I worked late and it was in the middle of the night in Accra. So of course we would not have a hour long conversation. I happened to be in Ghana last year right after Christmas and didn't get back to the states until Feb. The Christmas card he sent me in the mail didn't make it until after Christmas. I had sent him a email saying I received the Christmas card. She asked him why he sent me a Christmas card on valantines day. I WAS IN GHANA!!! She would not look at documents to show I was there. He said it seemed that she had already made up her mind very early in interview. So I have hired a immigration attorney. Hopefully it works. For now I am going back to Ghana next Month to stay for a while. The people at the embassy have no idea what they do to families when they deny. It's horrible!!!! All the waiting to be denied at the end.

Timeline

I met my wife on a social media in February 2013 and she was able to visit me in Ghana in May 2013 that was her first visit. Before her arrival we have already arrange for our tradition marriage. Because we love each other and there is no need for us to be waiting instead of we becoming husband and wife. My wife touched down on the 27th May 2013 and our marriage took place on the 1st June 2013 that was so fast, but we love each other so likewise to be together as married couples than to be dating. Both of us like the idea before the marriage date was fixed. We really had a very good marriage event together with families and friends. She lived with me in Ghana for good 46 days before going back to the US. Before she depart we all suspected that she was pregnant and yes she was pregnant because as soon as she arrives in the US she went to see the doctor and that was confirmed to her, that was a good news for all of us. There my wife thought of filing for me to join her in the US. So our petition went to USCIS in September 2013 and was approved in April 2014. The drama begun as we all know how it feels when you are in this immigration thing. Interview schedule on the 7th October 2014 the CO by tittle KM gave me 221(g) after interview. Asking us to submit Co-sponsor, DNA test for our 17 month old son and put on Administrative Processing. After asking us to submit such document they also wrote on the paper given to me (we will call you) The DNA sample was arranged and paid for by my wife in one of the recommended hospitals in the USA by the US embassy in Ghana. A month later after my interview the embassy called me to come over and i was told they are sending our case back to USCIS for revoke.Reasons given by KM was, because my wife has never been to Mexico and her ex husband too has never been to Mexico, means my wife has no right to file for her divorce decree in Mexico. The consular told me my wife has to divorce her ex husband and re-marry me again. USCIS got the case on the 10th February 2015 and ever since the case has been updated twice, we involve the senator of Maryland which she intervene and the embassy told the senator that our marriage was a (SHAM) marriage. My wife has contacted the attorney who helped her with the divorce papers and they got her a document from the Mexican judiciary declaring her divorce as legal in Mexico.This document has been sent to the senator, embassy and USCIS. Our AP is heading to 6th month now yet nothing has been served to us. I know there are many Ghanaian going through similar issues as we are going through now. This lady at the embassy with the title KM KM she is so rude to almost everybody who passes through her. My advice is that the petitioners should teams up file a joint complaint to the authorities who can look into the matter seriously. I guess KM she is not a happy type wish everybody should be like her for keeping us away from our love ones but God the almighty has a reason for every situation my sisters and brothers keep calm the good news is coming soon. Big amen to that..... But once again the United State Citizens who are in this process must file a joint complain together to the authorities in charge..........

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

I met my wife on a social media in February 2013 and she was able to visit me in Ghana in May 2013 that was her first visit. Before her arrival we have already arrange for our tradition marriage. Because we love each other and there is no need for us to be waiting instead of we becoming husband and wife. My wife touched down on the 27th May 2013 and our marriage took place on the 1st June 2013 that was so fast, but we love each other so likewise to be together as married couples than to be dating. Both of us like the idea before the marriage date was fixed. We really had a very good marriage event together with families and friends. She lived with me in Ghana for good 46 days before going back to the US. Before she depart we all suspected that she was pregnant and yes she was pregnant because as soon as she arrives in the US she went to see the doctor and that was confirmed to her, that was a good news for all of us. There my wife thought of filing for me to join her in the US. So our petition went to USCIS in September 2013 and was approved in April 2014. The drama begun as we all know how it feels when you are in this immigration thing. Interview schedule on the 7th October 2014 the CO by tittle KM gave me 221(g) after interview. Asking us to submit Co-sponsor, DNA test for our 17 month old son and put on Administrative Processing. After asking us to submit such document they also wrote on the paper given to me (we will call you) The DNA sample was arranged and paid for by my wife in one of the recommended hospitals in the USA by the US embassy in Ghana. A month later after my interview the embassy called me to come over and i was told they are sending our case back to USCIS for revoke.Reasons given by KM was, because my wife has never been to Mexico and her ex husband too has never been to Mexico, means my wife has no right to file for her divorce decree in Mexico. The consular told me my wife has to divorce her ex husband and re-marry me again. USCIS got the case on the 10th February 2015 and ever since the case has been updated twice, we involve the senator of Maryland which she intervene and the embassy told the senator that our marriage was a (SHAM) marriage. My wife has contacted the attorney who helped her with the divorce papers and they got her a document from the Mexican judiciary declaring her divorce as legal in Mexico.This document has been sent to the senator, embassy and USCIS. Our AP is heading to 6th month now yet nothing has been served to us. I know there are many Ghanaian going through similar issues as we are going through now. This lady at the embassy with the title KM KM she is so rude to almost everybody who passes through her. My advice is that the petitioners should teams up file a joint complaint to the authorities who can look into the matter seriously. I guess KM she is not a happy type wish everybody should be like her for keeping us away from our love ones but God the almighty has a reason for every situation my sisters and brothers keep calm the good news is coming soon. Big amen to that..... But once again the United State Citizens who are in this process must file a joint complain together to the authorities in charge..........

Sorry for your hassles, that's what I keep saying, a formal complaint needs to be filed about this CO. Get it done USC Ghana peeps !

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Timeline

Old thread but relevant :

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/156310-can-you-really-complain/

Written complaints can go (only by hard copy) to:

Public Inquiries Division
Bureau of Consular Affairs
U.S. Department of State
2401 E Street NW
Washington, DC 20522-0106.

TBoneTX, any other info you can share ?

Spoiler

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Timeline

I know how you feel about your wife being denied. My husband was denied also. I guess we have to go and have sex in front of the CO...lol She denied my husband saying she did not think our marriage was genuine.

Timeline

Fellow Ghanaian what are the percentage wide between reaffirmation and (NOIR) Notice Of Intent to Revoke ? Those who ever been through can shear with us your past experience with (AP) Was your case reaffirm or NOIR? Please your views will be gladly appreciated...

Timeline

The cases that get reaffirmed are high when answering the NOID/NOIR request with supporting evidence.

Spoiler

Timeline

Ebunoluwa you are so helpful on this platform am really learning a lot here. Are you a Ghanaian?

No, I am a naturalized German married to a Nigerian who went through the Cyprus embassy.

Having been on here for 9 years (with different account) I know the sub-saharan forum patterns quite well and this used to be more so in Lagos

but Accra has them beat now with all the craziness.

Hope you all can collectively make a change with a formal complaint.

Best wishes for your journeys !

Spoiler

Timeline

Ebunoiuwa, You made an interesting comment. You said you were a naturalized German married to a Nigerian who went through the Cyprus embassy. Would it be possible to get my Ghanian husband here through another embassy? How could we collectively make a complaint? I am so distraught. I can't eat or sleep. Depression is eating me alive.

Timeline

A few posts up (post 97) I made a suggestion where and how to make a complaint. Also through the petitioner's senator/congressman.

If you read my signature you will see that our journey (through Cyprus) took about 5 years.

It is not easier through other embassies per se because they still scrutinize the nationality that you are.

For some it may but for others it's the same mess no matter where you try to go through.

Liberia may be a bit easier. The beneficiary must be on a valid visa there though, student visa etc or have a resident permit.

Hang in there, re group and be strong and wait for your NOID/NOIR letter when you will have a second chance to make it through.

Spoiler

Timeline

Update on my case.

If you guys remember, I contacted my senator the same day my wife's visa was denied. I sent him an email describing everything that took place during the interview along with most of the evidence myself wife took. His office then forwarded my email to the chief consulate in accra.

1. The chief consulate review my case and stopped the case from being sent back to the U.s.

2. It was placed on administrative processing.

3. 2 days ago I got an email which stated that the case is being investigated and should be completed in the near future.

4. They said after the review is completed they will call my wife to come back to the embassy.

So my case went from being put in the mail to go back to the u.s, to my wife being called to come back to the embassy.

When I got the news that my wife was denied I had a calculus-2 exam that day. I was completely depressed and couldn't even focus on the exam. I just knew I had to take action and can't just sit around and be sad. I honestly did not believe anything would come out of contacting my senator, I was just sad and needed to do something. And thank God I did. I thank God I did. Even if they just call her to bring more evidence at least this time she will take two luggage bags of evidence. It's much better than the alternative.

Edited by Volta-Region

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.