STEPHnRIA

Can you really complain?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you were treated harshly during the interview, who do you complain to? Especially if there was a three year old child involved.

Things have been piling up in my head. I thought my issues are all about the visa wait. But then I realized my real issues are about my interview at US EMbassy Manila. I still can't get over it. I was traumatized and I really felt so sorry for my son. The fact remains that we were not treated right.

Guys, I need your opinion regarding this matter.

January 16, 2008 - sent I-129F (Vermont)

January 21, 2008 - NOA1

March 16, 2008 - NOA2

August 7&9,2008 - Medical K1&K2

August 21, 2008 - Paid document verification fee (P1,300)

August 27, 2008 - Interview

September 08,2008 - Document Verification request sent to NSO

Spetember 19,2008 - Document Verification done -sent back to US Embassy Manila

November 03, 2008 - Case under review

November 26, 2008 - VISA printed

November 28, 2008 - VISA in transit

December 02, 2008- VISA IN HAND

January 12, 2009 - Arrived USA, POE Los Angeles

January 21, 2009 - Got married

January 22, 2009 - Applied for SSN

AOS

February 10, 2009 - Went to Dr. Janet Pettyjohn for form I-693

February 11, 2009 - Sent our AOS packet to Chicago

February 12, 2009 - Packet received signed for by L BOX

February 22, 2009 - Received NOA1 for AOS, EAD & AP

March 17, 2009 - Biometrics Appointment

March 21, 2009 - SSN card arrived in the mail

April 6, 2009 - took driver's license exam and passed! (written and road test)

April 10, 2009 - Repeat Biometrics Appointment

April 14,2009 - Received AP documents in the mail

April 16, 2009 - Received EAD in the mail

SEptember 4, 2009 - GREENCARD received

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

You could try. I haven't really heard of anyone getting very far with that at all, though.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Not that CO's are immune from disciplinary action.... but sometimes it seems they are... I have heard of only one instance where the US Embassy actually issued an apology to the USC complainant and that the CO would be "talked" to....

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
If you were treated harshly during the interview, who do you complain to?
Sadly, the consulates are just about bulletproof and can be as "rogue" as they care to be. However, a supervisorette at the DOS Visa Department told me this:

Our written complaints can go (only by hard copy) to:

Public Inquiries Division

Bureau of Consular Affairs

U.S. Department of State

2401 E Street NW

Washington, DC 20522-0106.

Due to screening of mail for anthrax or whatever, it could take 2 weeks before they get what we send them, and a reply could take 2 to 4 weeks. Sending by FedEx or DHL is the same.

Consular officers are required "by law" to do what's right regarding issuance, so multiple calls or contacts don't hurt the petitioner's cause; however, the time taken to respond to inquiries can take away from other things that they have to do.

The consular/visa corps undergoes "ongoing training" to ensure that people are "provided courteous treatment" (ha!). Complaints about this can be directed to the Chief of the Consular Section (ha). Your interviewing CO will be apprised of your complaint but won't be the one to rule on it.

There is a PDF file that listed embassy personnel worldwide as of August 2008, but I can't immediately locate the link. If you also want to e-mail your complaint to the Section Chief, it would be optimal to find his name and put "To Chief ____" in the Subject line; however, if you put "To Chief, Consular Section" in the Subject line, the e-mail may reach him anyway.

You appear to be waiting for your visa, still. Consider tailoring your complaint to your current circumstances -- or, if you expect issuance within the 4 weeks, hold off and file an after-visa complaint.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.