bhoywonder10

Fare Evasion in NYC

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi, I recently sent in my N-400 and have already been fingerprinted with the interview being held on June 11th.

My problem is that I received two tickets around 3/4 years ago for jumping the turnstile on the subway, which were paid fully right away. Although this happened before I removed the conditions on my 2 year greencard, I understand it's considered a crime of moral turpitude in the eyes of USCIS (even for such a trivial thing). Will I need an immigration attorney present at my interview? Or am I completely screwed?

Thanks for your help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi, I recently sent in my N-400 and have already been fingerprinted with the interview being held on June 11th.

My problem is that I received two tickets around 3/4 years ago for jumping the turnstile on the subway, which were paid fully right away. Although this happened before I removed the conditions on my 2 year greencard, I understand it's considered a crime of moral turpitude in the eyes of USCIS (even for such a trivial thing). Will I need an immigration attorney present at my interview? Or am I completely screwed?

Thanks for your help!

This is a minor issue. If you can, go to the courthouse where you paid the fine and ask for a copy of the case disposition. This will show that you settled the matter. No need for a lawyer.

I assume you listed these two incidents on your applocation.

Edited by JimmyHou

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

My assumption is that you will need to show 5 years good moral character.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Agreeing with Boiler. 5 years of good moral character.

Green card holders are guests. Guests should not commit any crimes; including trivial ones.

My brother got his green card revoked for petty crimes related to his drug addiction; mainly shoplifting. Fortunately for him, the U.S. can not deport Vietnamese refugees (people here before 1995) and he is able to get an EAD.

Small things can have big immigration consequences.

Timeline

Thank you for your responses. Immigration does not take these crimes lightly however trivial. They consider fare evasion as theft of services although it seems trivial, it isn't. Should I get a lawyer or withdraw the application?

Thank you all for your time.

Don't withdraw, bring court orders to your interview, worst scenario is they will deny your citizenship at this time. Be honest with interview about those tickets. Good luck.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Thank you for your responses. Immigration does not take these crimes lightly however trivial. They consider fare evasion as theft of services although it seems trivial, it isn't. Should I get a lawyer or withdraw the application?

Thank you all for your time.

I would consult with a lawyer, At least you will know for sure if this is a big deal for the immigration or not.

AOS

day 1 -- 04/11/2012-- package sent to Chicago

day 2 -- 04/12/2012-- package was received.

day 43-- 05/23/2012-- Notice for an interview is received for 06/26 @ 2pm

day 63-- 06/12/2012-- Received a Text & email for an update- Card production EAD/AP

day 77-- 06/26/2012-- interview / approved on the spot.

day 86-- 07/05/2012-- Received my GC in the mail.

ROC

day 1 -- 04/07/2014 -- ROC Package delivered to VSC

day 16 -- 04/23/2014 -- Walk-in Bio.

day 197 -- 10/20/2014-- Approval Letter received dated 10/16/2014

day 202 -- 10/25/2014-- GC received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I guess it depends on your interviewer but again I don't think this is a serious issue. I'm not a lawyer so don't take my opinion too seriously, but I don't see how this is any different from driving in a toll lane without a toll tag. It's a minor offense that shouldn't impact your immigration at all as long as you can show that you paid the fine. It's been a while but I've read about a couple of cases similar to yours in NYC where the applicants were approved. I'm afraid I don't remember of the approval came right away or if it caused a delay. Of course, another interviewer may see this differently.

Am I right that you were not arrested, but that you recieved a citation and were required to pay a fine? And that if you hadn't paid the fine, a warrant would be issued for your arrest? If that's the case, then this is a citation, just as one you would have receoved for loitering or jaywalking.

Anyone who knows more about this than I do (which isn't mich) can correct me.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Timeline

Hi JimmyHou,

In terms of monetary penalty it's the same as jaywalking, parking fine etc. The issue comes with the statue it falls under which is theft of service and there for can be considered to be a crime of moral turpitude which can make you deportable AFAIK, and I have two even though it's four years ago. The Interview is on the 10th, so I have a few days whether to decide to withdraw the application or not.

Don't guess and dream up scenarios in your head. Go to the interview and find out what happens. And don't wave a big CIMT flag. Just let them ask the questions.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Well then no point asking here, you made your decision of withdrawing before coming here, didn't you?

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Go to the interview and see what happens? What if what happens is if they put me in deportation proceedings like they have done in the past with similar cases, instead of withdrawing the application?

Do you have a link to the first hand experience of such cases. I haven't read any. Curious to read what happened.

I guess that's when you need a lawyer...if you have a deportation hearing.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.