Fiji Indian

Why I joined this site and how you can help me.

130 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I doubt if there is anything you could do, down to the Lawyer.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

I read your post on immigrate2us but I am not a member there so I will post here. First an appeal to a Court is based upon facts and issues of law, not emotional appeal. The court doesn't give a hoot about how much it would hurt your family if your father was deported, all they care about is if the law was followed. In this case it sounds like it was, a felony DV is an automatic deportation.

Unless your attorney can pull something out of his rear in the next few hours, such as a motion to reopen, I am pretty sure your dad will be on a plane. His appeal was denied, his case won't be heard by the Supreme Court, so there is no avenue left. ]

Sounds like the attorney is asking you to write hardship letters to prepare for filing the I-130, I-601, and I-212 to see if your father can return to the US. Highly unlikely but attorneys are paid to try, there are no guarantees. And most will promise you the moon and stars to get your money then say "sorry" when they fail. With a felony DV conviction his chances of getting a waiver approved are very small.

Remember the hardship letter is all about how your mother will suffer if your father is not permitted to return to the U.S. and how the two of them cannot live together in another country. Obviously they don't care about the hardships your father might suffer or they wouldn't be deporting him. The problem is your mother lived for years without your father and there is no reason she can't return to her home country.

All I can say is good luck and god bless. Maybe your attorney can pull something out of his woo-woo and keep your father here.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: India
Timeline

Fiji Indian, I am from Indian culture as well, and I did read through many pages from this thread, though not all. I do not have immigration advice, as this is very complicated. However, I do have advice for you regarding your mental illness. There is absolutely NO need for you to disclose your medical condition to your potential employers, unless it is glaringly visible like physical handicap. So, why would you go for a job interview and while discussing other stuff, why would you bring up your PTSD and depression? People with mental illnesses like depression and ptsd successfully manage holding full time jobs, while managing their condition on med.

You have every reason Not to voluntarily disclose it, if you want to ever get a decent job. So think logically, and stop the unnecessary flow of information to your future employers. Anyway, it's illegal to discriminate based on illness, however if you hand the information on a platter, they might use it against you, and most job applications list that providing data regarding your health condition is totally voluntary.

Bottom line: If you don't tell, no one will be wiser.

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi Fiji Indian. Hope things work out well for you. I can't add more info than boiler and belinda and other people in the thread gave you about the specifics.

I just want to comment that there is a reason why the lawyer isn't talking to you about the case as much. It's due to communication privilege. Anything that your dad tells your lawyer is confidential, he can't share with you. But he may need stuff from you (information, affidavits, letter of support) to help your dad's case. That's why he often comes asking for things but doesn't share the legal strategy with you, specially in light of the DV conviction.

May 29th, 2015 - Sent AOS package

June 1, 2015 - Package received by USCIS

June 4, 2015 - Biometrics Fee Accepted

June 20, 2015 - Biometrics Appointment Letter Received

June 30, 2015 - Biometrics Appointment

August 6, 2015 - I-131 approved

August 6, 2015 - Your card was ordered

August 7, 2015 - I-765 approved

August 20, 2015 - EAD received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Fiji
Timeline

Well we have made a life of our own here in America. We don't have anything in Fiji. If we were to go to Fiji, we would be homeless basically. My parents won't be able to get a job because of their age, the retirment age is 55 in Fiji. Environment is also a problem. It's not so glamorous as it is on T.V. Commercials. Houses are regularly a target of being over flooded when it rains. And from my experience when I was 8-9, an individual threatened to kill my Mom and I, and even came as close as to my front porch. We called the police, but it took them 1 hour to arrive, and they turned the other cheek when they were bribed to not arrest that individual.

Someone advised us to send an appeal to the President of United States, and another one to our city Congress. How would I go about that? I could PM you may current city.

I am from Fiji and what you have said about Fiji is exaggeration. Life here will be easier for all three of you. I'm sure you have some relatives here since you are all originally from Here. Life here is simple and very laid back which will be good for your dads and mums old age.

graphics-exclamation-mark-527817.gif April 9th: Got Married yektdeort6eji5ha.png

CR1 animal-graphics-pigeons-221733.gif CR2

Filed: Timeline

By signing ICE deportation, was never legal and spoke

such little English after years here...Its pretty much dead

in the water now. Live in Fiji as a family a few yrs then start

over, you can stay back here in the US and work to help your

parents...tere are jobs at the state employment agency for

abled & disabled ppl

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I am from Fiji and what you have said about Fiji is exaggeration. Life here will be easier for all three of you. I'm sure you have some relatives here since you are all originally from Here. Life here is simple and very laid back which will be good for your dads and mums old age.

I thought the same, I have been to Fiji many times and have never seen it as the dark place it was described as. Have you looked into disability benefits for both yourself and your Mother? Just another option to take into consideration as far as being able to service financially, of course food stamps, Medicaid etc is all available as well.

Filed: Timeline

I've said it many times and I'll say it again, I disclose my depression to my employers simply because I want to. Everyone has their own level of depression. If I am a danger of having a mental break down, then I want my employers to know about it before I get hired. End of discussion on that matter.

And @ditdot everyone has their experience. I don't know where you live(d) in Fiji, but where I lived it wasn't a happy and dandy place. I know of what I experienced living there for 9 years of my life 10 years ago. Maybe things have changed since then, I don't know.

And we aren't the type of people who want to depend on extended family members for help. They will only help so much, until they get tired of you. We depend on ourselves. We want to be able to provide for ourself, not depend on the government for "foodstamps". It's easy to tell someone things, but it can only be understood if you are the one going through it.

Thank you everyone, but I have been getting a little more productive answers elsewhere.

Thank you again, Boiler, for all the help.

NOTE FOR MODERATORS:

You may close this thread since there is no longer need for it to continue, but please do not delete it. Just disable the posting on it. Thank you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

No problem, I will ask for it to be locked.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~At this time, at the request of the OP, this thread is locked from further posting.~

Pitaya

VJ Moderation

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.