Hotter Otter

Anecdotes from America

53 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Today I was asked how much the royal baby weighed when she was born. When I asked how I was expected to know I was told "because you are British!" I was unaware that the Queen was going to send me a personal telegram with the news the moment the new arrival popped its little head out.

But this lead me to remember that many of us have funny anecdotes from conversations and misunderstandings that we have with Americans so share them here. How many times have you been asked if you were Australian, or even French? Have you ever mistakenly used a word in its British context only to find out it offends in the US?

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Wales
Timeline

Not a story about a misunderstanding (although there have been plenty!) but yesterday there was a town election. I work at a school, which was one of the polling stations, so I got harassed by the various groups on both my way in and out of work. I eventually got so frustrated that I said to one guy "I can't vote, at least not in this country!" and he responded by punching the air and yelling "GOD SAVE THE QUEEN" as I walked away!

I think I may actually have been able to vote in the election so I'm just glad he didn't know enough about it to call me out on it :P

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

8lbs 3oz, odd that it was announced in Imperial rather than Metric?

I have had to explain where Wales is and that there is a Welsh language.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Today I was asked how much the royal baby weighed when she was born. When I asked how I was expected to know I was told "because you are British!" I was unaware that the Queen was going to send me a personal telegram with the news the moment the new arrival popped its little head out.

But this lead me to remember that many of us have funny anecdotes from conversations and misunderstandings that we have with Americans so share them here. How many times have you been asked if you were Australian, or even French? Have you ever mistakenly used a word in its British context only to find out it offends in the US?

Telegram? How quaint :)

Her Maj, Lizzie MkII texted me as soon as young Kate dropped her sprog.

As for anecdotes, dozens in the relatively short time I was in the US...

-Got accused of having a 'fake English accent' at a drive-in restaurant.

-When getting a tattoo done I had to go and get my Union Flag off the car so the artist could draw it as he'd never heard of it.

-Same Union Flag on the car, a plumber asked me if it was some sort of rebel flag. The irony amused me.

-Managed to convince the ex's daughter that Heathrow airport was a field with a grass runway where the farmer would have to shoo off the sheep between landings/take offs.

-Had to 'educate' a teacher at the kids middle school on the differences between England and the UK. Child had been set a homework project to do a presentation about 'England', I helped out with such things as the St. Georges cross and suchlike. I was surprised when she got a Fail mark so went to see the teacher only to be told that she thought England and the UK were all the same thing.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

-Got accused of having a 'fake English accent' at a drive-in restaurant.

-Same Union Flag on the car, a plumber asked me if it was some sort of rebel flag. The irony amused me.

Loved these two the most! :rofl:

Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Someone had a baby? :shocked:

I do a fairly decent job of not processing stuff like that. Very glad to be far from that. I don't even know what it's called.

Quite excited to see what happens with the election - and generally curious to see who, if anyone, around me takes notice of the fact that there is a GE going on in my homeland right now. I got my postal vote in.

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

8lbs 3oz, odd that it was announced in Imperial rather than Metric?

I have had to explain where Wales is and that there is a Welsh language.

I'm Cornish. :) I've had to explain what/where that is, too, and what all that "recognised national minority" stuff was that happened.

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

One of my first trips to the USA, the belt on my bum bag broke. My friends took me to the local Target to buy another, but we couldn't find the aisle they were supposed to be in. My friend then went up to one of the Store Clerks and said "'Scuse me Lady, where can I find some fanny packs?"

I was absolutely mortified, went bright red and wanted the ground to swallow me up. Someone I thought was a well mannered friend had just gone up to a complete stranger and used such derogatory language towards her!

To my complete surprise, the Store Clerk didn't bat an eyelid and directed us to the aisle where we could find 'fanny packs'. My friend sensing that I was in a bit of shock asked me what was up. I told him that I couldn't believe he'd gone up to lady store worker and used the word "fanny". It was then it was explained to me that the word "fanny" in the USA has a totally different meaning, and meant English "bum"...

And "bum" means something different too! We use to describe an #######/ ###, they use it to describe a tramp. So many UK/ USA words are spelt exactly the same yet have different meanings. With all my trips to the USA I am now bi-lingual - UK English and USA English!

N400 Naturalization

Applied - 07/21/2022

NOA - 07/21/2022

Biometrics - Re-used

Interview - 11/03/2022 (Passed!)

Oath Ceremony - 11/08/2022

Timeline

ChasUno, so true! I could rattle off a list of everyday items found in most grocery stores in the UK, the names of which I wouldn't dare utter in public in the USA.

Lee & William

8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

ChasUno, so true! I could rattle off a list of everyday items found in most grocery stores in the UK, the names of which I wouldn't dare utter in public in the USA.

Spotted #######? :lol:

Mind you, our local grocery store sells a product called "####### flavoured soup" that gets me every time I see it!

* edit the censor got me. Imagine a male chicken for the second blanked out word ;)

Edited by Hotter Otter

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Timeline

Spotted #######? :lol:

Mind you, our local grocery store sells a product called "####### flavoured soup" that gets me every time I see it!

* edit the censor got me. Imagine a male chicken for the second blanked out word ;)

Oh, don't worry. I'm still in the UK and have to shop at Tesco. I knew what it was even with the ### signs :D

Also, in the frozen food department, McBrains roasted .... I can't type the word. I think I'd be banned on this forum for even trying :rofl:

Lee & William

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Love this topic. One of my colleagues is bilingual in English and Spanish so I remarked it was cool that she could speak two languages, her response was "well you speak another language too in England dont you?", bless her, certainly feels like we do sometimes.

I also frequently get asked about the Queen's condition, I say shes doing well because its easier than explaining that I dont know her personally or keep record of her situation, And I get mistaken for a Kiwi or Aussie on a daily basis

Submitted k1 visa petition - January 20th,2013NOA1 - February 2nd 2013NOA2 - June 20th 2013Medical - August 14th 2013<p>Interview - October 4th
Moved to California January 8th smile.png

We once had a discussion about "Morning Glory Muffins". At first, husband and I thought we were talking about the same thing, but I couldn't understand why he didn't think it was a weird thing and he couldn't understand why I thought it was so strange. Then I asked him how he knew they were bran based, and what does bran have to do with it anyway?

Turns out morning glory in the US is more of a digestive health indicator than a, er... morning... fun time indicator?!

English girl . American cowboy. "Like a western Dirty Dancing."

my rambling blog: cowboysgirlfriend.com

20 May 2014: Filed our I129f

10 September 2014: Visa in hand!

8 January 2015: Filed for AoS (EAD & AP)

15 January 2015: NOA1

5 February 2015: Biometrics

9 February 2015: RFE

10 February 2015: Evidence filed

19 February 2015: USCIS acknowledged evidence received

3 March 2015: EAD and AP approved! Card ordered!

6 March 2015: USCIS updated: ready for interview scheduling

28 September 2015: Interview - APPROVED!

I'm Cornish. :) I've had to explain what/where that is, too, and what all that "recognised national minority" stuff was that happened.

Ohh just like the pastie.... nice

Thank you, goodnight and may your gods go with you",

Dave Allen.

This is brilliant.

I've not had anything like these yet, apart from the fact that no one can ever understand me, especially when I spell out something...

It's literally like they think I'm talking gibberish.

I said to a few friends the other day though that I had to buy a swimming costume... That sent their heads rolling.

My Name is Daisy, I am British, I say things bluntly and to the point.
London K1, A complete guide -- >http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide/
I am Daisy the Beneficiary, These are my views!
U.K. k1 visa, approved 2014.

NOA1: 20/03/2014

NOA2: 11/04/2014 (22 days)

Interview: 09/07/2014 (111 days)

D.O.E 29/07/2014

Married 29/08/2014

AOS from K1/K3 Guide -->http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

AOS/EAD/AP Sent: 12/11/2014

Delivered at Chicago LB:15/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3): 17/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3) hardcopy: 24/11/2014(Notice date 20th)

Bio-metrics App letter: 28/11/2014(Notice date 21st)

Bio-metrics App Cleveland Ohio: 10/12/2014

EAD/AP:Approved/production 31/01/2015(update 2/2/1015) (80 days)

Combo Card: Mailed 5/2/2015

Combo Card: Delivered 6/2/2015AP

NOA: Approval Notice received 7/2/2015

Interview waiver letter: received 23/2/15 dated: 18/2/2015

Green Card: APPROVED 31/07/2015

(Remember, all my dates are British layout.. the proper layout!)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.