5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi VJ community I'm hoping I can get some assistance here. I filed a petition for my husband and his daughter (8 yrs old) last year. At the time I was a permanent resident and was advised that she would be able to immigrate with her dad as a derivative. When I became a US citizen and upgraded the petition, they advised me that my stepdaughter could no longer be considered a derivative and needs her own petition. My husband's case is now at NVC and my stepdaughter's seperate petition is now recently at VSC pending approval. Is there any way to expedite her process seeing as though she's a child and her dad's petition was already approved? Will she have her own separate case at NVC or will they join her together with her dad? We are trying to avoid his case moving forward and hers lagging behind for months on end. Leaving her behind is definitely not an option as he is a single dad with 100% full custody and I'm looking forward to receiving them together. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

you can file a K-4 visa for your stepdaughter at the embassy at the same time that you husband goes for the interview so that she can come with him and wait for her petition here. Look for the information on K-4 visas

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You should've included a letter with her i130 requesting expedite. Anyhow, you can put a halt for your husband's nvc process and wait until daughter's case reaches nvc.

Timeline

you can file a K-4 visa for your stepdaughter at the embassy at the same time that you husband goes for the interview so that she can come with him and wait for her petition here. Look for the information on K-4 visas

Thanks for your response. I thought the K4 would only be applicable if my husband was applying for a K3. I'll look into it though. Thanks.

Timeline

You should've included a letter with her i130 requesting expedite. Anyhow, you can put a halt for your husband's nvc process and wait until daughter's case reaches nvc.

Hi thanks for responding. Letter was included as well as all proof of her dad's approved I130. I also called USCIS to put in an expedite request over the phone but it denied. I guess they didn't see it as an extreme or emergency situation which was the only category that seemed fitting. I may try to contact NVC and put his process on pause as you suggested. Thanks again!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.