alborosie8090

Confused NOA2 / NVC

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Hi guys,

I've read the guides and searched the forum but some confusion now that we have received our NOA2. There seems to be a lot of info on NOA2 for K3 but not the K1.

Do I send off copies of everything NOW to my fiance? (I-134, copies of what I sent to USCIS, proof of income, etc) -- or am I waiting for a letter from the NVC FIRST that will tell me exactly what to send? I've been waiting to send anything to my fiance in Costa Rica because I've been under the impression that I now get a letter from NVC telling me what exactly to send (even though I already know based on guides). However, other posts seems to say the fiance will get the letter from the NVC directly for interview/medical and I won't even get any info in between. Can anyone clarify? If I need to get documents mailed I want to do it now so he has them in time.

Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

A K-1 will receive notice from the NVC that the approved petition was sent to the consulate. A K-1 submits nothing to the NVC and the NVC does not arrange the interview or medical for you.

Things are very consulate-specific at this point. Use the information from your consulate.

http://costarica.usembassy.gov/iv_onbehalf.html

Once the petition arrives here in San Jose, we will contact you. You or your fiancée will be required to pick up a packet of instructions with a list of all the necessary documents required for this process. Among other things, your fiancée will need to undergo a medical exam by a doctor we specify.

Once your fiancée has all the required documents in order, we will set up an appointment for him or her to be interviewed. At that time, you and your fiancée must present an I-134 Affidavit of Support showing that you have sufficient income to support your fiancée without receiving public benefits.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

A K-1 will receive notice from the NVC that the approved petition was sent to the consulate. A K-1 submits nothing to the NVC and the NVC does not arrange the interview or medical for you.

Things are very consulate-specific at this point. Use the information from your consulate.

http://costarica.usembassy.gov/iv_onbehalf.html

OK - so do I send the I-134, pay stubs, and copy of what I sent to USCIS to my fiance in Costa Rica now? Or wait until he gets a packet from the consulate?

Edited by alborosie8090

You can send it now. Timelines vary on each county so it may take a bit to get an interview or it could be quick. Since you know what you are sending. Get it on it's way.

Service Center : California Service Center on 2014-03-17Consulate : London, United KingdomI-129F Sent : 2014-03-10I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-14I-129F NOA2 : 2014-04-07NVC Received :4/21/2014NVC Left :4/23/2014Consulate Received :2014-04-29Packet 3 Received :2014-05-01Packet 3 Sent :2014-05-01Medical Complete: 2014-05-07Packet 4 Received :2014-5-31Interview Date :2014-06-06Visa Issued: 2014-06-10Visa Package Received: 2014-06-13Arrival at POE Seattle: 2014-6-13

Married 07/07/2014

AOS Timeline
AOS package mailed 08/08/2014 (Chicago Lockbox)
NOA date 8/13/2014
Biometrics done 09/14/2014
INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 10/31/2014
Approval e-mail 10/31/2014
Card production e-mail 12/27/2011
GREEN CARD ARRIVED 11/08/201

Employment Authorization Document
CIS Office : Chicago National Office
Filing Method : Mail
Filing Instance : First
Date Filed : 2014-08-04
NOA Date : 2014-08-13
RFE(s) :
Bio. Appt. : 2014-09-04
Approved Date : 2014-09-25
Date Card Received : 2014-10-03

ADVANCED Parole
CIS Office : Chicago National Office
Filing Method : Mail
Filing Instance :First
Date Filed : 2014-08-04
NOA Date : 2014-08-13
RFE(s) :
Date Received : 2014-10-03

ROC Timeline
ROC package mailed to CSC 10/13/2016
NOA1 date 10/17/2016
Biometrics date 12/8/2016

Interview: None
Card production ordered: 03/27/2018
10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

OK - so do I send the I-134, pay stubs, and copy of what I sent to USCIS to my fiance in SJO now? Or wait until he gets a packet from the consulate?

It's up to you. The I-134 and supporting documentation is required for the interview. I didn't send the I-134 and tax transcripts to my fiancee until the embassy contacted her, and I sent her my most recent pay stub right before her interview. I figured it was best to have the most updated info. We worked on the initial submission together, so she had a copy of that stuff already, but she didn't need it at all...

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Timeline

It's up to you. The I-134 and supporting documentation is required for the interview. I didn't send the I-134 and tax transcripts to my fiancee until the embassy contacted her, and I sent her my most recent pay stub right before her interview. I figured it was best to have the most updated info. We worked on the initial submission together, so she had a copy of that stuff already, but she didn't need it at all...

Got it - thank you KayDeeCee & G Walters.

USMSBow, so tax transcripts are required? Was that noted from your consulate? Did the embassy contact just your fiance or were you contacted as well?

I am trying to determine - in mailing things to my fiance - if paystub(s) are sufficient or if previous tax year transcripts are required. I just got back to U.S. in October 2014, so my tax transcripts aren't going to really help my case, but my current pay stubs should from Feb 2015 - present (and going forward).

Timeline

Got it - thank you KayDeeCee & G Walters.

USMSBow, so tax transcripts are required? Was that noted from your consulate? Did the embassy contact just your fiance or were you contacted as well?

I am trying to determine - in mailing things to my fiance - if paystub(s) are sufficient or if previous tax year transcripts are required. I just got back to U.S. in October 2014, so my tax transcripts aren't going to really help my case, but my current pay stubs should from Feb 2015 - present (and going forward).

Every embassy is different. In my case, the embassy e-mailed me first to confirm the petition and asked for my fiancee's e-mail address. After I confirmed, they e-mailed her a list of required documents.

As for tax transcripts, no, they're not required. I just did it per VJ advice. I don't even know if the embassy cared about them. The CO asked my fiancee what I did for work, she answered, and that was that (in regards to anything $ related).

I'm sure pay stubs are sufficient in your situation.

Timeline

Every embassy is different. In my case, the embassy e-mailed me first to confirm the petition and asked for my fiancee's e-mail address. After I confirmed, they e-mailed her a list of required documents.

As for tax transcripts, no, they're not required. I just did it per VJ advice. I don't even know if the embassy cared about them. The CO asked my fiancee what I did for work, she answered, and that was that (in regards to anything $ related).

I'm sure pay stubs are sufficient in your situation.

Sounds great. Thanks for the clarity.

Side question - were you present at the interview? I asked this question previously and didn't get much of a response, other than shame on me for not wanting to be at the interview. I want to be there 100% (hello who doesn't want to go to Costa Rica), but financially we are trying to work everything out to save for AOS and I don't want to spend the money to spend $1K to fly to Costa Rica if I don't have to since I need to budget for us once he gets here, can't work, and then pay all the AOS stuff. However if necessary, I'll do it in a heartbeat. It seems like there is a pretty big mix of people who have gone and haven't. Just curious as to how it worked for you?

Sorry the run on sentence... brain going faster than fingers and proper grammar!

Edited by alborosie8090

Timeline

Sounds great. Thanks for the clarity.

Side question - were you present at the interview? I asked this question previously and didn't get much of a response, other than shame on me for not wanting to be at the interview. I want to be there 100% (hello who doesn't want to go to Costa Rica), but financially we are trying to work everything out to save for AOS and I don't want to spend the money to spend $1K to fly to Costa Rica if I don't have to since I need to budget for us once he gets here, can't work, and then pay all the AOS stuff. However if necessary, I'll do it in a heartbeat. It seems like there is a pretty big mix of people who have gone and haven't. Just curious as to how it worked for you?

Sorry the run on sentence... brain going faster than fingers and proper grammar!

No, I didn't go. The original hope was she would have the interview around the time I was there visiting in December for 3 weeks. Thanks to USCIS misplacing our petition after our NOA2, that didn't happen, and her interview wasn't until mid-March. I could only take a couple days off work, and we both agreed it wasn't worth paying a little over $1K for me to fly to the other side of the world for about 48 hours.

Yeah, I would advise saving money, which you'll need for other things (such as the AOS stuff you mentioned).

Timeline

No, I didn't go. The original hope was she would have the interview around the time I was there visiting in December for 3 weeks. Thanks to USCIS misplacing our petition after our NOA2, that didn't happen, and her interview wasn't until mid-March. I could only take a couple days off work, and we both agreed it wasn't worth paying a little over $1K for me to fly to the other side of the world for about 48 hours.

Yeah, I would advise saving money, which you'll need for other things (such as the AOS stuff you mentioned).

Ugh - sorry you had to go through that! What a pain. Glad everything worked out in the end though. :)

That's the same boat we are in - I have limited PTO since I just started a new job, and unless absolutely required, I really don't want to spend $1K for a day or two visit, especially when we need to save that for AOS! Yikes!

Thanks for your insight and advice it is much appreciated.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would send everything you can possibly think of that might help him. I would send it now also, as you just never know, when what might be scheduled.

Also, things have been lost in the mail before.,.,.,so you never know.

I would not take any chances, send everything you can think of, whether he uses it or not.

Good luck on the approval.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I really don't want to spend $1K for a day or two visit, especially when we need to save that for AOS!

Read "Embassy Info" and especially "Reviews: Embassy" for your consulate, attending especially to the worst experiences. In addition, surf your regional subforum (in your case, Mexico/Latin/South America). If even one fairly recent interviewee or petitioner reported problems at the visa interview because the petitioner wasn't there, spare no expense of time or funds to be there.

Bear in mind also that a previously easy consulate might have a brand-new Section Chief of the Immigrant Visa Unit who changes policies without notice, wherein the petitioner's presence becomes formally or informally expected.

Having been sorely burned along with my contemporaries, and still spittin' mad these 7 years, 2 days later in regard to the treatment that we received, I've remained active on VisaJourney chiefly to warn people never to underestimate the consular process.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Id have to agree again....

You have two choice and the only thing you can do is trust your gut feelings on this....

TRY TO UNDERSTAND WHAT THE WORST POSSIBLE OUTCOME IS:

a) you dont go to the interview, and she is denied for some reason. Either because you could not collaborate stories or the person doing the interview feels that there is not enough "proof of love".

AS A RESULT: your case is denied and you have to start over

b) you spend the $1k

Please be aware that your attendance at this interview at the embassy IS NOT REQUIRED.

Me, I would prefer to spend the money (even if it means delaying the interview for 1-2months for the need to save money up). But that's just my opinion.

ALSO I would like to hope for your sake that traveling to CosaRica should not cost $1000. I travel to Colombia, South America twice a year for the last several years and only once did I pay $950 for a ticket. I highly suggest you use GOOGLE FLIGHTS, for statistical analysis so you can find the cheapest flight. Also flying out of major airport hubs can lower the cost significantly ( up to $300 ).

I see you are from Denver also? Im from colorado springs myself. Try searching for SPIRIT flights leaving denver, I cant remember if they have a hub in costa rica but I think they do.

PETITION I-130

1/2/2015 - Petition sent to Phoenix Lockbox

1/6/2015 - NOA #1 Receipt

7/1/2015 - NOA #2 Approved

7/10/2015 - Email from Nebraska stating sent the case to NVC

NVC

7/16/15 - Case Received by NVC

7/30/15 - Case number assigned

8/3/15 - DS-261 Agent available

8/4/15 - DS-261 Agent completed

8/4/15 - AOS fee available & paid

8/6/15 - Check cleared the bank & bar-code cover sheet now available

8/13/15 - AOS Packet & IV Packet sent to NVC by priority mail

8/15/15 - IV fee available & paid same day

8/17/15 - NVC received package

8/19/15 - Check cleared the bank & DS-260 available & DS-260 completed!!! ALSO, we received email notification from NVC that they received package on 8/17

- Case completed at NVC

- Case sent to Embassy on this date

EMBASSY

- Embassy received packet

- Wife received Packet 3/4 Instructions

- Medical appointment

- Interview

Point of Entry

- Enter Austin, Texas

• 3 weeks later...

Chiming in late here but just came across this and I have a request and maybe some help to offer. Request is...can you give a picture of what the embassy in CR needs and what their time frame looks like? Would be super helpful, especially as I'm trying to bring all the paperwork myself rather than rely on the mail (I get the feeling we're going to have to really hustle once we get NOA2 if we have a prayer to POE be for 2016).

Suggestion: Spirit, JetBlue and Southwest all go to SJO now (very recent developments too). I just got a RT from BWI for $410. I know you're in Denver but there really is probably a much cheaper option than $1k now.

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.