frangipani

3 years or 5 years rule?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Hello, perhaps a stupid question but I just want to be sure:

I am married with an American and I have been a green card holder for 5 years since last month. I know I could have applied for citizenship based on 3 years marriage but god knows why I have been putting it off!

Now i think i am ready to become a US citizen!

My question is: should I apply based on marriage (3 years) or based on the regular 5 years rule?

Just to be clear so I know what documents to prepare.

Thank you in advance!

Hello, perhaps a stupid question but I just want to be sure:

I am married with an American and I have been a green card holder for 5 years since last month. I know I could have applied for citizenship based on 3 years marriage but god knows why I have been putting it off!

Now i think i am ready to become a US citizen!

My question is: should I apply based on marriage (3 years) or based on the regular 5 years rule?

Just to be clear so I know what documents to prepare.

Thank you in advance!

5 years rule is less headache.

you need 2 passport size pictures, form N400, and check of amount $ 680

AOS

day 1 -- 04/11/2012-- package sent to Chicago

day 2 -- 04/12/2012-- package was received.

day 43-- 05/23/2012-- Notice for an interview is received for 06/26 @ 2pm

day 63-- 06/12/2012-- Received a Text & email for an update- Card production EAD/AP

day 77-- 06/26/2012-- interview / approved on the spot.

day 86-- 07/05/2012-- Received my GC in the mail.

ROC

day 1 -- 04/07/2014 -- ROC Package delivered to VSC

day 16 -- 04/23/2014 -- Walk-in Bio.

day 197 -- 10/20/2014-- Approval Letter received dated 10/16/2014

day 202 -- 10/25/2014-- GC received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Thank you so much! Yes I read the checklist it seems 3 years rule has more docs.

It's hard to believe that they don't ask you to submit tax returns for the 5 years rule?!

Thanks again now i know where to start...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thank you so much! Yes I read the checklist it seems 3 years rule has more docs.

It's hard to believe that they don't ask you to submit tax returns for the 5 years rule?!

Thanks again now i know where to start...

They use the tax returns to determine whether or not you have joint finances with your spouse; that's why they don't care about them for the five year applicants.

You should know that while under the 3 year rule they can ask you to prove that you are in a legitimate relationship, under the five year rule they can still ask for you to demonstrate that you were in a legitimate relationship when you got your green card. This has been happening more frequently lately for five year applicants who got their green cards through marriage. So when you go to your interview, you should have some of the "3 year proof" with you just in case.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello all,

Not to high-jack the post, but it's so similar to my own question that I figured I'd ask here!

My husband will be eligible under the 5 year rule at the end of June this year. Obviously, he could apply now under the 3 year -still married- rule. Would it ultimately be significantly easier for us to wait to apply after his 5 year anniversary, so do you think starting now would be best?

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 25, 2013 --Qualified for Citizenship!

October 12, 2017 --Electronically filed

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

October 31, 2017 --Biometrics Appointment -ATL

ROC

April 5, 2012 --Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

May 21, 2012 --Biometric Appointment at ATL office

December 12, 2012 --10 year Green Card in hand

DCF Process

October 10, 2009 --Married in São Paulo

January 14, 2010 --Filed I-130 at São Paulo Consulate for DCF

May 17, 2010 --VISA IN HAND!

June 24, 2010 --POE in Atlanta

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello all,

Not to high-jack the post, but it's so similar to my own question that I figured I'd ask here!

My husband will be eligible under the 5 year rule at the end of June this year. Obviously, he could apply now under the 3 year -still married- rule. Would it ultimately be significantly easier for us to wait to apply after his 5 year anniversary, so do you think starting now would be best?

Same question ---> Same answer.

Easier, yes.

Significantly easier, probably not.

Edited by JimmyHou

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Honestly, I believe that it all depends on the interviewing officer at the end. 5 year rule certainly needs less paperwork to file but could end up with more paperwork at the interview stage and again that depends on the interviewer. So whether it be 3 or 5 years, it's better to have all required documentation available just to cover your bases. As you can read on this forum, experiences are mixed. Therefore I would say to file when you are ready to do so because at the end(interview stage), you will bring those anyways

Good luck!

Hello all,

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.