Tesla47

Seeking advice - lmost one year after filing

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am an American citizen filing a petition to bring my wife to the USA. I was born and raised in Texas. My wife is a citizen of the Netherlands and was born and raised there.

We have been traveling to see each other in two week periods (due to work vacation limits). On January 2014 while together in Texas, we were married. On April 2014 I completed and filed the I-130 and received a document in the mail confirming a receipt date of April 11, 2014.

We waited patiently knowing the process is slow. On September 25, 2014, we received an update informing us that our case was transferred to the California service center.

We waited patiently again until January 2015, ten months after filing, when I used their online tool to request information about why our case is taking so long. Our request was assigned to an officer on January 29, 2015. The request is still assigned to that officer and no action has been taken since then.

On February 2015 I took a vacation to the Netherlands to spend some time with my wife. We found out recently the happy news that my wife is pregnant. It is our first baby and the delivery date is November 2015.

I called the USCIS customer service this morning to ask for information about our case. The representative on the phone knew nothing we didn't already know. I asked if there was a way to expedite our case to which the representative listed a few reasons. One of which was a humanitarian reason. Desperate and frustrated I asked to request expedite due to a humanitarian reason citing the fact that my wife is pregnant and I want and need to be with her during our pregnancy. The representative obliged and opened a request for expedite.

Here we are almost a year after filing with absolutely no information about our case other than it was transferred to a different service center. My wife is pregnant and we are faced with the possibility of being apart through the entire pregnancy. We might also have to deal with filing another petition for our baby.

There are a few additional things to note. I was recently hired for a federal position working for the department of defense. Also, I am on social security disability and have an opportunity to cancel my benefits due to obtaining the employment described above. Both of these reasons might qualify under the criteria for requesting our case to be expedited.

If anyone has any advice we would really appreciate it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I am an American citizen filing a petition to bring my wife to the USA. I was born and raised in Texas. My wife is a citizen of the Netherlands and was born and raised there.

We have been traveling to see each other in two week periods (due to work vacation limits). On January 2014 while together in Texas, we were married. On April 2014 I completed and filed the I-130 and received a document in the mail confirming a receipt date of April 11, 2014.

We waited patiently knowing the process is slow. On September 25, 2014, we received an update informing us that our case was transferred to the California service center.

We waited patiently again until January 2015, ten months after filing, when I used their online tool to request information about why our case is taking so long. Our request was assigned to an officer on January 29, 2015. The request is still assigned to that officer and no action has been taken since then.

On February 2015 I took a vacation to the Netherlands to spend some time with my wife. We found out recently the happy news that my wife is pregnant. It is our first baby and the delivery date is November 2015.

I called the USCIS customer service this morning to ask for information about our case. The representative on the phone knew nothing we didn't already know. I asked if there was a way to expedite our case to which the representative listed a few reasons. One of which was a humanitarian reason. Desperate and frustrated I asked to request expedite due to a humanitarian reason citing the fact that my wife is pregnant and I want and need to be with her during our pregnancy. The representative obliged and opened a request for expedite.

Here we are almost a year after filing with absolutely no information about our case other than it was transferred to a different service center. My wife is pregnant and we are faced with the possibility of being apart through the entire pregnancy. We might also have to deal with filing another petition for our baby.

There are a few additional things to note. I was recently hired for a federal position working for the department of defense. Also, I am on social security disability and have an opportunity to cancel my benefits due to obtaining the employment described above. Both of these reasons might qualify under the criteria for requesting our case to be expedited.

If anyone has any advice we would really appreciate it.

None of the reasons you have mentioned would qualify for an expedite but you can surely try asking for one. If you are a US citizen there is no petition to be filed for your child. If by chance your child was born overseas there would be a CRBA to file and a US passport for the baby.

I know a year is long and many like you have been waiting hopefully yours is in the hands of an adjudicator. Personally I would get my state senator or congressman on the case NOWish and too hopefully get things moving. You are beyond regular processing. I would be calling them today.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I personally don't see a reason to expedite. Although your wife being pregnant is excellent news, it is not a reason to expedite.

It also seems like your have a new job - which is excellent news, but not a reason to expedite.

I know it is a long time to wait, but immigration does not ask us what we want.

Your child also sounds like it will receive derivative citizenship based on you, no additional petition required

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

I personally don't see a reason to expedite. Although your wife being pregnant is excellent news, it is not a reason to expedite.

It also seems like your have a new job - which is excellent news, but not a reason to expedite.

I know it is a long time to wait, but immigration does not ask us what we want.

Your child also sounds like it will receive derivative citizenship based on you, no additional petition required

good luck

an additional petition is required. It is called the CRBA.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Yeah being pregnant won't expedite it plenty of us on here are pregnant including myself just have to wait it out thats all any of us can do in this process .

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

an additional petition is required. It is called the CRBA.

It's not a petition. No one is asking for anything.

It's a report. It to tell the US Embassy that a US citizen was born abroad. It does not petition the government for anything.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

It's not a petition. No one is asking for anything.

It's a report. It to tell the US Embassy that a US citizen was born abroad. It does not petition the government for anything.

You are petitioning the US government to grant citizenship to your child. You must bring your child to an "interview" before they determine that indeed your child is a US Citizen. If the government does not believe you, they can issue a paternity test. Basically, whether you use the word. petition, report, etc, a child is not "automatically" given citizenship. You must apply to get the government to recognize it. There are also residency requirements, even if you are a US citizen. There is nothing automatic with the government. The only case would be if the child were born on US soil.

Edited by ascertainLovE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.