Mrs. DK

Exchange of consulate?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline

I was hoping to get some answers from those who went through the same situation.

First NVC made a mistake with my address. They wrote a different country on my address. We found this out when we received our welcome letter, then It says that I will be interviewed in this country (the country they wrote on my address) once they've reviewed my documents. I corrected this as soon as I was able to, and the only way to do this was by email (sent the email on jan 2, so 3 days before they received our AOS and IV.) It took them almost 2 months to reply, and this is what I received on feb 20th "The correspondence submitted is currently under review. An appropriate action will be taken once this review is completed.", only few days from when we were expecting an e-mail from them about our documents being reviewed.

A couple days after the 60 days mark, I still didn't receive an e-mail, so I gave Nvc a call, and they told me that my documents cannot be reviewed until my interview location is reviewed and corrected, they also said that there's no time frame for this :/. It was their mistake, and now we're the ones who has to wait... Do any of you have had the same experience? If so, how long did it take for them to be able to change your consulate? We are very worried because although we are already married, we were having a wedding ceremony in Hawaii this coming July, and we really thought we were going to make it. I'm also 100% sure that we didn't make any mistake with our AOS and IV.

Edited by Mrs. DK

~~moved to NVC discussion from IR1/CR1 process and procedures as topic is about NVC processing and is not specific to the IR1 process~~

You should have known which consulate the interview would be at when you got your case number and corrected it before any fees were paid or documentation was sent. The only way to get on this now, is to speak to a supervisor. They have to change your case number.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Yes we did, that's why we tried to change it asap, but of course this was our first time and we really didn't know what to do, we didn't even know how to email them at first. We were also in a hurry to send everything because the welcome letter was sent in oct 9th, just 2 months after we first started everything with uscis. We didn't see NVC's letter until December because it got sent to my husband's junk mail. How do we talk to a supervisor?

Timeline

This is a re-post, since original post was posted in another forum.

was hoping to get some answers from those who went through the same situation.

First NVC made a mistake with my address. They wrote a different country on my address. We found this out when we received our welcome letter, then It says that I will be interviewed in this country (the country they wrote on my address) once they've reviewed my documents. I corrected this as soon as I was able to, and the only way to do this was by email (sent the email on jan 2, so 3 days before they received our AOS and IV.) It took them almost 2 months to reply, and this is what I received on feb 20th "The correspondence submitted is currently under review. An appropriate action will be taken once this review is completed.", only few days from when we were expecting an e-mail from them about our documents being reviewed.

A couple days after the 60 days mark, I still didn't receive an e-mail, so I gave Nvc a call, and they told me that my documents cannot be reviewed until my interview location is reviewed and corrected, they also said that there's no time frame for this :/. It was their mistake, and now we're the ones who has to wait... Do any of you have had the same experience? If so, how long did it take for them to be able to change your consulate? We are very worried because although we are already married, we were having a wedding ceremony in Hawaii this coming July, and we really thought we were going to make it. I'm also 100% sure that we didn't make any mistake with our AOS and IV.

Please keep in mind that my husband and I are doing this on our own, without a lawyer and anyone else who knows about these things, so we weren't sure what to do. We didn't even know how to e-mail them the correct way until I called and was told how to. We also received our welcome letter on oct 9, just 2 months after we started the process with uscis, but we didn't see NVC's letter until dec because it got sent to my husband's junk mail... So we had to do this in a hurry. We also emailed them about correcting my address and consulate a couple of days before sending all our documents, but of course, it took them a very long time, and we weren't allowed to change these through the phone... Please give me some advice!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

NVC did the same with my brother's case. They messed up on his address instead of Islamabad Pakistan, they put New Delhi, India as his consulate. My father wrote a letter for my brother to NVC indicating their mistake. And within a month, NVC sent another letter with the right case number, right address, right consulate. My father sent the letter on October 25, and NVC responded by end of November . I wish you best of luck.

Edited by paro

Timeline

NVC did the same with my brother's case. They messed up on his address instead of Islamabad Pakistan, they put New Delhi, India as his consulate. My father wrote a letter for my brother to NVC indicating their mistake. And within a month, NVC sent another letter with the right case number, right address, right consulate. My father sent the letter on October 25, and NVC responded by end of November . I wish you best of luck.

Thank you for sharing! I did call Nvc today and explained our situation and asked to talk to a supervisor. Before the lady forwarded me to the supervisor, she finally GAVE me a time frame (not sure why the lady that I talked to a few days ago couldn't do this), but it seems like she wasn't sure, so she finally forwarded me to a supervisor. Supervisor said that it seems like they received a request on jan 12 (not sure what he meant, and this date is also just 10 days after I sent my request about changing my address and consular, and 7 days after they received our IV & AOS documents), then asked me to hold on again to look up some stuff, then he finally told me that what he's going to do is to contact the embassy to see what's going on. He said that it might take a few days to get a response, so he asked me to call back in a few days to talk to a representative or a supervisor to see what's up. Hopefully it doesn't have to take too long and that we will just get an e-mail about this.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

use a telephone.

when a human answers the call,

ask for a supervisor.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

use a telephone.

when a human answers the call,

ask for a supervisor.

Wow, some people just enjoy being sarcastic instead of helpful... We are not all a visa experts here! and I also have heard that some HUMAN won't even transfer you to a supervisor! You know, most of the time you can't get what you want when it comes to immigration, and they're not very helpful st times! JUST LIKE YOU!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

But this is the only way to speak with supervisor:/

If you don't have luck with your first call....call again.

Good luck!

Edited: I have changed my consulate. Look at my signature.

Edited by Frips

N-400 Timeline
04/02/19 N-400 Submitted online
04/22/19 Biometrics
11/05/19 Interview (Approved)

ROC Timeline

Service Center: California

08/11/17 I-751 Packet delivered to USCIS

09/18/17 Biometrics Appointment

08/17/18 2nd extension letter (additional 6 months)

11/02/18 New card is being  produced (Approved)

NVC
11-04-2014 NVC case receive

05-20-2015 Visa received

10-06-2015 Time to kick back and let it fly

Timeline

But this is the only way to speak with supervisor:/

If you don't have luck with your first call....call again.

Good luck!

I did assume that this is the main way (which I already did btw), but I was thinking that maybe there are other numbers or other ways of trying to get ahold of one.....

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

Unfortunately not:(

N-400 Timeline
04/02/19 N-400 Submitted online
04/22/19 Biometrics
11/05/19 Interview (Approved)

ROC Timeline

Service Center: California

08/11/17 I-751 Packet delivered to USCIS

09/18/17 Biometrics Appointment

08/17/18 2nd extension letter (additional 6 months)

11/02/18 New card is being  produced (Approved)

NVC
11-04-2014 NVC case receive

05-20-2015 Visa received

10-06-2015 Time to kick back and let it fly

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Duplicate threads merged, please do not start multiple threads on the same subject.***

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.