s-luvs-k

All Japan Filers

1,867 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
22 minutes ago, Penguinlalala said:

Did you schedule the interview or the embassy gave you a schedule?

also if I may ask, are you the ones sending your medical documents to the US embassy?

No embassy,, She is already here so the interview I'm talking about is for her green card.

Timeline
11 hours ago, Penguinlalala said:

Did you schedule the interview or the embassy gave you a schedule?

also if I may ask, are you the ones sending your medical documents to the US embassy?

You schedule and pay through the ustraveldocs site. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi,

So my fiances dad is supposed to be our sponsor but he having doubts into sending his documents to Japan being the old paranoid guy that he is. If he backed out, can my fiance who is jobless be the sole sponsor since he has enough sayings? Also, we have a friend who is willing to be a sponsor but is currently working outside of the US. I am literally so stressed out knowing that our interview date is almost near and all of this things are happening. Please send help.

Timeline
11 hours ago, Penguinlalala said:

Hi,

So my fiances dad is supposed to be our sponsor but he having doubts into sending his documents to Japan being the old paranoid guy that he is. If he backed out, can my fiance who is jobless be the sole sponsor since he has enough sayings? Also, we have a friend who is willing to be a sponsor but is currently working outside of the US. I am literally so stressed out knowing that our interview date is almost near and all of this things are happening. Please send help.

Packet 3 mentions "if you do not wish the person [you] to see this affidavit [the I-134], it may be sent directly to the Embassy/Consulate with a cover letter giving the applicant's [you] full name, date and place of birth and case number."  It also allows evidence of own funds.  Either have your fiance submit what he can about his own funds, or ask your fiance's dad if he would be comfortable emailing that affidavit and supporting documentation directly to the embassy.  I forget the email address, but I'm pretty sure there's one that's provided when submitting the DS-160 stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi everyone, I just got notification today from the NVC that they're sending my K1 case on to the embassy. I just want to clarify the process here because I'm a little confused--will my Japanese fiancé need to mail anything anywhere? Or do we just finish collecting all the documents that we know we need and deliver them at the interview? Thank you!

Timeline
On 9/22/2007 at 5:39 PM, dejima said:

I noticed you're filing for K1. There might be different questions on the interview because I filed for CR1 but at least the idea of how the interview goes.

KayArt

Hi, 

Here is the instruction from Tokyo embassy. 

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello Everyone,

I hope you guys are staying safe!

I will be having my interview soon for my K1 application, I have seen a lot of tips and watched a few videos about it and this might be repetitive, do you have any suggestions? what are the things that I need to consider during the interview?

Thank you so much!

• 5 weeks later...

Hey experts, so much info here and seems like a really helpful group. I'm US citizen and need to get my wife (Japanese) and two kids (American citizens) from Tokyo over to the US with me. She had to stay in Japan while I relocated for work to the US a couple weeks ago, because there are things such as the sale of our house and relocation to the US division of her company that need time. Does having US citizen children with her in Japan and being separated help our case get processed more quickly? My fear is that we file an I-130, then (hopefully) get to the NVC stage, and it just languishes there for a couple years. That is going to be really hard on us, even just a few couple weeks already has.

• 7 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Got DQ'ed today! But they left notes in our messages on a lot of documents...  

So I used "foreign earned income exemption" for 2018 through 2020, so my AGI for those years was $0 since I was working full time in Japan.  

Last year I started a job in the US full time as an engineer.  

I don't want to say the exact amount but it's quite high, over $150k.  

I added my paystubs and in I864 I even wrote down that my current income is over $150k a year. I also included my contract, my offer letter, and before my documents were reviewed, I added a current pay stub and W2 preview for 2021 showing that my income is quite high.  

Here's the comment though -  

Case FE Review note  

This case does not meet the minimum income requirement to sponsor the intending immigrants. To avoid delays, an additional Affidavit of Support Form I-864 from a joint sponsor may be submitted. For more information visit https://nvc.state.gov/aos. The consular officer will make a decision regarding this requirement at the time of the interview. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p.

I don't understand... Why would I need a sponsor? We only have one child and my income is more than most dual income households. 

Also, what does this mean about the police certificate?  

The police certificate required for Japan is not needed in order for the interview to be scheduled. However, the police certificate must be obtained and uploaded before the visa interview. Please use our Document Finder at https://nvc.state.gov/find for acceptable documents guidelines.

On the documents site, it says to upload the envelope only, because I guess if we open it, they don't know if it's official or not. So do we upload it and take pictures of it or what?  

I'm debating going to the police station and asking for another copy just to be sure.  

And the last comment -  

The petition you have filed does not allow derivative status for family members. This means that any spouse, unmarried child under age 21, or parent will require his or her own petition to immigrate.

This isn't anything to worry about right? We only applied for my wife because our daughter already has dual citizenship and a US passport.  

One last thing, to anyone who submitted your necessary documents to NVC -  

If you do not have a W2 because you worked overseas the last two years, you will need to submit a signed statement explaining why you don't have a W2. If you submit it using "Other" on the NVC site, it will not reset your review date. Also, make sure you tap the "submit" button after uploading. If you don't press submit, they won't see the documents on their side.  

So to answer a repeated question, adding additional documents after you submitted the necessary ones to start the review clock does not move you to the back of the line, but I have no idea if submitting them as "Other" is required or not to preserve your place in line.  

• 2 months later...
Timeline

Hi, did anyone here have the same issue as me? We are trying to get the police certificate from Canada via the Japanese police, and while they took fingerprints, they refused to sign any papers or stamp anything. The service we are using is refusing to certify our fingerprints until we can get it stamped or signed. We even got a letter from the embassy saying that Japanese police do not sign these papers, but the service still requires this. Anybody had a similar situation? How do I get out of this?

Timeline

Japan feb 2022 K1 filer here. Have been thinking about flying to meet my fiancé and get married then apply for CR1.

The main priority is being together. Money or the K1 being a pain is not an issue. 
Does anyone know a timeline for CR1 vs K1 (specifically for Japan)?

On a side note, what was the medical like? I don’t have all of my immunization records, pretty sure I am also due another tetanus shot….

• 1 month later...
Timeline
On 4/3/2022 at 3:15 AM, SailAway said:

Japan feb 2022 K1 filer here. Have been thinking about flying to meet my fiancé and get married then apply for CR1.

The main priority is being together. Money or the K1 being a pain is not an issue. 

On a side note, what was the medical like? I don’t have all of my immunization records, pretty sure I am also due another tetanus shot….

I'm also a Japan beneficiary Feb 2022 filer! Hopefully someone else can answer your question however??

Here's hoping we get lucky with quick approvals.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
On 4/3/2022 at 4:15 PM, SailAway said:

Hi!

In terms of timeline K1 and CR1 are almost the same right now. If we talk about USCIS and NVC processing timelines, it doesn’t matter what country you are from. 

Many people deciding to cancel K1 and do CR1 instead because with CR1 process you get green card and can work immediately.

In terms of immunization- you can get a test to check whether you have antibodies for extra charge. 

Timeline
On 4/3/2022 at 12:15 AM, SailAway said:

CR1 from application to DQ approval is around 9-13 months.  

That's if you do everything right and have all your documents on hand.  

KR1 is faster because your spouse is not a legal immigrant yet (they don't get an SSN and cannot work). If your goal is to be together, KR1 followed by marriage in the US and applying for CR1 after getting married is the shortest path toward "together".  

We applied for IR-1 in February 2021 and barely moved to the US last month on April 7th. We didn't get our interview until March 2022. 

2 hours ago, TedBrosby said:

CR1 from application to DQ approval is around 9-13 months.  

That's if you do everything right and have all your documents on hand.  

KR1 is faster because your spouse is not a legal immigrant yet (they don't get an SSN and cannot work). If your goal is to be together, KR1 followed by marriage in the US and applying for CR1 after getting married is the shortest path toward "together".  

We applied for IR-1 in February 2021 and barely moved to the US last month on April 7th. We didn't get our interview until March 2022. 

K1's used to be faster. 

Your timeline of 13 months (372 days) is actually really quick for IR1/CR1 and as quick or quicker than all the recent K1 timelines out of Japan (221-456 days).

USCIS (for IR1/CR1) can take anywhere between 4-12 months right now. And if no RFE's occur at NVC that is taking about 80 days. Then another 2 months to interview.

Best case scenario 8 months.

Worst case scenario, maybe 2 years if the case goes to one of the slower service centers like Potomac or Vermont (12 months) and you're hit with multiple RFE's at NVC (latest one I've seen involves someone moving to NVC October 2021 with no DQ in sight! +/- 7 months).

Currently, K1 filers from April 2021 are still waiting for their NOA2s so if things don't speed up K1 filers are looking at 13 months at USCIS before the case moves to NVC/consulate. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.