s-luvs-k

All Japan Filers

1,867 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
17 hours ago, ROK2USA said:

K1's used to be faster. 

Your timeline of 13 months (372 days) is actually really quick for IR1/CR1 and as quick or quicker than all the recent K1 timelines out of Japan (221-456 days).

USCIS (for IR1/CR1) can take anywhere between 4-12 months right now. And if no RFE's occur at NVC that is taking about 80 days. Then another 2 months to interview.

Best case scenario 8 months.

Worst case scenario, maybe 2 years if the case goes to one of the slower service centers like Potomac or Vermont (12 months) and you're hit with multiple RFE's at NVC (latest one I've seen involves someone moving to NVC October 2021 with no DQ in sight! +/- 7 months).

Currently, K1 filers from April 2021 are still waiting for their NOA2s so if things don't speed up K1 filers are looking at 13 months at USCIS before the case moves to NVC/consulate. 

Hi! 
I’m new here but all of you guys’ posts have been so helpful! 
I have a question for you about what you think would be the fastest way for me to be able to work in the states. 

But for context, my background story is,
I filed for k-1 in April 2021 and have been waiting for a year for NOA2 now. 

I recently found out that after I get to move to the states, it takes about 2 years to get my work permit….(please let me know if I’m wrong)

but I really want to be able to work once I get to the states because I don’t want to put my career on pause for a long time. 
do you guys know any way or how fast people would be able to work in the states?? 

And does anyone know how long is takes for a visa to be issued if a US company were to sponsor a visa for a foreigner (in this case Japanese)?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Ninjaturtur said:

Hi! 
I have a question for you about what you think would be the fastest way for me to be able to work in the states. 

I recently found out that after I get to move to the states, it takes about 2 years to get my work permit….(please let me know if I’m wrong)

but I really want to be able to work once I get to the states because I don’t want to put my career on pause for a long time. 
do you guys know any way or how fast people would be able to work in the states?? 

And does anyone know how long is takes for a visa to be issued if a US company were to sponsor a visa for a foreigner (in this case Japanese)?

Hello!

I do not know where you read or heard about 2 years… 

so if you continue K1 process 

You get your K1 visa→fly to America→get married→Apply for adjustment status+work permit 

And here how it can be: you either get your work permit before you get a green card or you get a green card and work permit together. 
You can check the timelines for green card process of other members of this community. 
About work visa sponsored by US company.

They might refuse you your work visa application because you already filed for K1 visa. Work visa doesn’t mean immigration intent, but K1 visa does. So for them it’s a red flag.But I don’t know about the timeline for work visa. 

Also your NOA 1 is April 2021, right now they process cases March 2021 (finishing this group), April 2021 (active processing),

so you might get NOA2 very soon. 

Timeline
32 minutes ago, KK2020 said:

Hello!

I do not know where you read or heard about 2 years… 

so if you continue K1 process 

You get your K1 visa→fly to America→get married→Apply for adjustment status+work permit 

And here how it can be: you either get your work permit before you get a green card or you get a green card and work permit together. 
You can check the timelines for green card process of other members of this community. 
About work visa sponsored by US company.

They might refuse you your work visa application because you already filed for K1 visa. Work visa doesn’t mean immigration intent, but K1 visa does. So for them it’s a red flag.But I don’t know about the timeline for work visa. 

Also your NOA 1 is April 2021, right now they process cases March 2021 (finishing this group), April 2021 (active processing),

so you might get NOA2 very soon. 

Hi, Thank you so much for your reply!!

I just looked up the processing time for I-765 (employment authorization) under I-485 (adjustment application) and it says 20 months for California and 8.5 for national benefits center:’(

Im not sure if this is the correct application… is it?

and regarding the work visa, I 100% agree with you. 
I was wondering if it’ll be a red flag too..

and I think you’re right. 
I will pray I will get NOA2 soon

5 hours ago, Ninjaturtur said:

Hi! 

Currently, EAD is taking 8-12 months (work authorization). 

But, USCIS has just decoupled the EAD (work authorization) from AP (travel authorization). 

and some people have reported receiving work authorization sooner. 

You can read the adjustment status case filing and progress reports  for updates. 

As you are an April 2021 filer you will probably get your NOA2 soon.

I wouldn't pursue work sponsorship as it will probably take as long or longer. 

Not sure what you are doing now but finding an employer in the US seems to be very tricky. 

Timeline
36 minutes ago, ROK2USA said:

Currently, EAD is taking 8-12 months (work authorization). 

But, USCIS has just decoupled the EAD (work authorization) from AP (travel authorization). 

and some people have reported receiving work authorization sooner. 

You can read the adjustment status case filing and progress reports  for updates. 

As you are an April 2021 filer you will probably get your NOA2 soon.

I wouldn't pursue work sponsorship as it will probably take as long or longer. 

Not sure what you are doing now but finding an employer in the US seems to be very tricky. 

I see. 

Im so amazed you guys know so much. 
Thank you so much for all the helpful info!

I will check out the link!

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hello everyone,

My wife's CR1 case is now at the NVC and we are currently waiting for our AOS/IV fee payment to process.

One big question I have is whether the embassy will contact us by email or mail (or both)? Our apartment lease is scheduled to end in August which depending on our luck could be right around the time we are DQ. I'm worried about the possibility of missing mail from the embassy while we are in the process of changing addresses.

I have been searching through this thread, but I couldn't find an answer to this.

Edited by maikeru

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, maikeru said:

Hello everyone,

My wife's CR1 case is now at the NVC and we are currently waiting for our AOS/IV fee payment to process.

One big question I have is whether the embassy will contact us by email or mail (or both)? Our apartment lease is scheduled to end in August which depending on our luck could be right around the time we are DQ. I'm worried about the possibility of missing mail from the embassy while we are in the process of changing addresses.

I have been searching through this thread, but I couldn't find an answer to this.

Hello!!!

I am K1 visa, but they contacted me twice via email only ^_^ first time they requested to send them via email scans of some documents, then in couple days they sent me a second email requesting to send them more documents via post ^_^ but as I said above I’m k1 visa 
i have heard that some time ago they would send a Package 3 via post but now I guess they do all via email :)

You still have around 2 months so I think NVC should be able to send your documents to the consulate in time ^_^
But if NVC doesn’t send your documents to Tokyo consulate by beginning of August,
 you could send an email to the consulate and explain your situation ^_^

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
15 hours ago, KK2020 said:

Hello!!!

I am K1 visa, but they contacted me twice via email only ^_^ first time they requested to send them via email scans of some documents, then in couple days they sent me a second email requesting to send them more documents via post ^_^ but as I said above I’m k1 visa 
i have heard that some time ago they would send a Package 3 via post but now I guess they do all via email :)

You still have around 2 months so I think NVC should be able to send your documents to the consulate in time ^_^
But if NVC doesn’t send your documents to Tokyo consulate by beginning of August,
 you could send an email to the consulate and explain your situation ^_^

That's very good to know, thank you so much!

• 5 weeks later...

We're currently in the NVC stage for an IR1 visa, and when I log in to CEAC, it says the Interview location is Tokyo. Do we really need to pay hundreds of dollars in travel expenses to go there for an interview when we're literally in bicycle distance to the Osaka consulate, or does NVC just list the main embassy for the country?

1 hour ago, kurumu said:

We're currently in the NVC stage for an IR1 visa, and when I log in to CEAC, it says the Interview location is Tokyo. Do we really need to pay hundreds of dollars in travel expenses to go there for an interview when we're literally in bicycle distance to the Osaka consulate, or does NVC just list the main embassy for the country?

You didn't mention how far along you are in the NVC process, but I had the same situation, where I requested Naha on the 1-130, and when it got to NVC, they inadvertently listed Tokyo as the interview location. I simply went to the public inquiry form, told them of the error, and about a month later, everything was changed correctly to Naha. There was a bit of a concern though, as they will issue a new case ID and invoice number, but if you have already paid all the fees (as I had), it's just an IT transfer and you can log into the new site with no issues. Speaking of time frames, I don't think this has resulted in any delay in my case, as I am expecting to be DQ next month, but if you have been at NVC for a long time, it might perhaps delay your case a bit.

2 hours ago, George99 said:

You didn't mention how far along you are in the NVC process

Fees paid. Forms filled. Now collecting the supporting documents.

I ended up calling and talking to someone at the call center. (surprisingly easier than I thought it would be.) They told me that all Immigrant interviews are done at Naha or Tokyo, and can't be done in Osaka. The other consulates only handle non-immigrants.

Also, you're expecting to be out of NVC next month?  Does it really take that long? Your timeline says you started two months ago. It's like a shot in the face after getting excited that we finally got NOA2...

Edited by kurumu

10 hours ago, kurumu said:

Fees paid. Forms filled. Now collecting the supporting documents.

I ended up calling and talking to someone at the call center. (surprisingly easier than I thought it would be.) They told me that all Immigrant interviews are done at Naha or Tokyo, and can't be done in Osaka. The other consulates only handle non-immigrants.

Also, you're expecting to be out of NVC next month?  Does it really take that long? Your timeline says you started two months ago. It's like a shot in the face after getting excited that we finally got NOA2...

Yeah, assuming all documents are perfect and no RFE, estimates are around 2 1/2 to 3 months to get to DQ. Then, scheduling the interview will take maybe another few months. I hope we can get interview by latest November.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/18/2022 at 10:17 AM, Ninjaturtur said:

If you're a K1 Visa, you're not allowed to work. After married you'd need to do an adjustment of status to a CR1 visa.

I think where you're confused is that if you've been married for two years, you get an IR1 visa, which includes work permission automatically. If you have a CR1 visa, you need to ask for permission to work. It doesn't mean you have to wait two years, it just means a few extra steps.

Timeline
28 minutes ago, kurumu said:

If you're a K1 Visa, you're not allowed to work. After married you'd need to do an adjustment of status to a CR1 visa.

I think where you're confused is that if you've been married for two years, you get an IR1 visa, which includes work permission automatically. If you have a CR1 visa, you need to ask for permission to work. It doesn't mean you have to wait two years, it just means a few extra steps.

I don't think this is completely correct, it isn't that you adjust to CR-1, but instead you adjust to get the green card, with which you are allowed to work.

Currently that green card takes between months to 2 years I believe(but could be wrong here)

Idk about the rest of the post

Timeline
10 hours ago, kurumu said:

Like @gooblue said, I am talking about when I adjust my k1 visa to green card. 
I know I can’t work while I’m on k1 visa, but I’m talking about when I will have started the AOS process to when I actually get my work authorization takes up to 2 years from what I’ve read. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.