franklinadamau

Income tax return issues...urgent advice needed plz

52 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from Bringing Fam. Member of Perm.Res. to America to Tax & Finances During US Immigration Forum~

~Inquiry about income tax filing~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Thanks.... Well explained.

Funny enough after trying to fill as joint married without success the agent then advised her to file as single which she did.

I just spoke to my wife explaining every to her and she said she'll have to look for another agent and correct the mistake before April 15th.

Thanks alot

You are welcome!

I am glad you talked to your wife about it. It is funny that the agent told her that, but it only shows he/she doesn't know well how to file taxes. I hope you guys find someone competent that can help your wife and correct the mistake :-)

Best of luck to you ;-)

*The material presented is intended for general information only and does not constitute legal advice*

USCIS - IR1/CR1 Wife/IR2 Daughter - K3 Wife/K4 Daughter

12/03/2013 -- I-130s Sent, 12/06/2013 -- I-130s Received                                           12/13/2013 -- I-129F Sent, 12/16/2013 -- I-129F Received           

12/10/2013 -- I-130s NOA1 Hard copies received from VSC                                         12/20/2013 -- I-129F NOA1 Hard copy from VSC           

06/05/2014 -- I-130s Alien Registration Numbers Changed                                           02/12/2014 -- I-129F Transferred from VSC to TSC hard copy                                       

06/09/2014 -- I-130s RFE Emails, 06/12/2014 -- I-130s RFE Hard copies received       02/25/2014 -- I-129F Alien Registration Number Changed

06/16/2014 -- I-130s RFE Response received                                                              07/11/2014 -- I-129F NOA2 email (207 days)

09/25/2014 -- I-130 NOA2 Emails 290 days                                                                 07/16/2014 -- I-129F NOA2 Hard copy received and sent to NVC        

NVC - K3 Wife/K4 Daughter

07-29-2014 -- NVC received I129F                                                                           

07-31-2014 -- NVC case number assigned

08-01-2014 -- Left NVC in route to Embassy in Lima

Embassy - K3 Wife/K4 Daughter

08-07-2014 -- Embassy in Lima received case from NVC                                        

08-07-2014 -- Received email interview letter and packet IV

08-18-2014 -- Completed DS-160 online                                                                 

08-21-2014 -- Medical & Vaccination completed

09-03-2014 -- Interview (Approved)                                                                        

09-05-2014 -- Visa Issued (CEAC website)

09-10-2014 -- Visa in hand                                                                                      

09-18-2014 -- Dulles VA

USCIS - AOS Wife/Daughter

12/10/2014 -- I-485 Sent - including I-765                                                            

12/11/2014 -- I-485 Received

12/16/2014 -- I-485 and I-765 NOA Received email                                             

12/20/2014 -- I-485 and I-765 NOA Hard copies received

01/09/2015 -- I-485 and I-765 Biometrics appointment                                       

01/14/2015 -- I-485 Ready for interview

02/02/2015 -- I-485 Interview notification received                                             

02/14/2015 -- I-765 Approved - EAD card production email and text

02/24/2015 -- I-765 EAD card received                                                              

03/12/2015 -- I-485 Interview Date (APPROVED)

03/17/2015 -- CR6/CR7 Welcome letters received                                               

03/21/2015 -- CR6/CR7 Green Cards received :dance:

USCIS - ROC Wife/Daughter

01/12/2017 -- I-751 Sent

01/17/2017 -- I-751 NOA Received for wife and daughter

02/23/2017 -- I-751 / CRI89 Biometrics Appointment for wife and daughter

12/26/2017 -- I-751 / CRI89 Approved for wife and daughter

Filed: Timeline

If you want to file Married Filing Jointly, both of you need to have an SSN or you need an ITIN. I believe it requires to send your passport to request an ITIN (Not sure about the process of filing ITIN)

or your spouse can file Married Filing Separately. The deductions are almost similar to Single. Then, you can adjust the filing status (within 3 years) to Married Filing Jointly once you are here in the US and get the necessary refund. Tax filing adjustments may take up to 12 weeks.

What I did last year is to file Married Filing Separately then made an adjustment to Married Filing Jointly when my spouse arrived and got my refund. Another thing I found out is if your spouse don't owe any taxes and you are expected to arrive soon, your spouse can delay the filing without paying any penalty. Then once you are here and have your SSN, both of you can file jointly.

Hi how did you filed married filling separate? Because i had the same issues and the person who did my taxes told me that when you filed as married they need your spouse Social security in order to done it correctly. What ss did you put for your spouse if she or he it's not here?

USCIS

05/21/13: Priority Day

09/09/13: VSC to NSC

09/17/13: Processing at NSC

10/31/13: RFE

11/07/13: RFE Sent

11/13/13: RFE Received

11/20/13: NOA2

11/26/13: Case sent to NVC

NVC

12/18/13: Case Received

01/10/14: Case# and IIN

01/17/14: Completed DS-261

01/21/14: Paid AOS fee

01/25/14: Paid IV Fee

02/17/14: Completed DS-260

04/07/14: Sent IV and AOS

04/25/14: Case Complete

CONSULATE

03/25/15: Interview

03/27/15: Visa Issued

04/01/15: Visa Available to pick up
04/02/15: Picked up visa

04/02/15: Paid fee on ELIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I filed as Single on my 2013 Tax Return ( i got married in October of 2013). After speaking with the IRS, Immigration Lawyer & a CPA i filed as single.

You do have to file for an amendment to your tax return once your spouse arrives in the country and is granted a SSN.

So once my wife arrives in a day or so and the SSN gets issued i will file and amendment to my taxes for 2013 and file my 2014 as married.

Immigration did not hassle me one bit or my spouse as to why "I" filed as single. You cannot file as married in this country unless your spouse has a ITIN number or SSN.

Thanks,

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi how did you filed married filling separate? Because i had the same issues and the person who did my taxes told me that when you filed as married they need your spouse Social security in order to done it correctly. What ss did you put for your spouse if she or he it's not here?

It's so sad that some of these agents don't know much about this issue.

What you'll actually do is file as "married filing separtely." In the section where SSN is asked for NRA will be inserted. NRA means Non Resident Alien

What you'll actually do is file as "married filing separtely." In the section where SSN is asked for NRA will be inserted. NRA means Non Resident Alien

Because most agents just want to make a quick buck. They advise their clients to take the route which is easier for them (the agents). Filing separately-NRA or filing jointly-requesting-ITIN is a pain. E-filing is out of the question for either option (not sure if it's still true for 2014).

This. And as mentioned by yannix , you can not e-file. Need to mail the forms to the state comptrollers and IRS.

I suggest that she files married filing separately. Put NRA for your social security number. When you get your social security number, she can amend her taxes. You cannot e-file if you put NRA for your social security number; she will have to mail it in.

Edited by Moustafa/Crystal

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Macedonia
Timeline

did anyone from this forum, had issues in embassy for this type of filing status?

event.png
event.png
Our case fits in F2A Category and i am the beneficiary! :)
USCIS Stage
07/18/2013- I-130 Sent
07/22/2013 - Priority Date
09/14/2013 - Transfer Notice: VSC to NSC
01/03/2014 - RFE
01/18/2014 - RFE Responded
02/27/2014 - NOA2- Approved
02/28/2014 - Case Shipped to NVC
NVC Stage
04/18/2014 - Received Case Number & IIN
04/18/2014 - DS-261 generated & filled
04/18/2014 - AOS fee bil generated & paid
04/18/2014 - IV Pakcet fee bill generated
05/04/2014 - IV Packet fee paid
06/16/2014 - AOS Packet sent
08/05/2014 - Checklist
09/18/2014 - IV Packet Sent + AOS
11/12/2014 - Case Completed at NVC
03/02/2015 - Interview Date received in e-mail and phone
03/02/2015 - NVC Left
CONSULATE
03/04/2015 - Received Case
04/06/2015 - Medical
04/15/2015 - Interview - APPROVED!
CEAC STATUS
READY - APRIL 15,16,17,18,19,20
ADMINISTRATIVE PROCESSING - APRIL 20,21
READY - APRIL 21,22,23,24,25,26,27,and 28
ADMINISTRATIVE PROCESSING - APRIL 28
ISSUED - APRIL 28 - SAME DAY VISA IN HAND!!!!
2m6pfep.jpg

Nobody has mentioned that the IRS says-

Marital Status. Your marital status on the last day of the year is your marital status for the entire year.

So if you were a married person on Dec. 31, 2014 then single is not an option, even if you were married only two days in 2014. All tax preparers should know that. It's not about pleasing the embassy or refunds. Choosing single is a violation of tax laws if you were married.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

I just finished doing my taxes for 2014. I filed married filing separately just like it has been said many times on here. I plan on amending my return when she gets here. For those who do their own taxes or are thinking of doing their own taxes, it is VERY easy to do this. I did use TaxAct to do my taxes. Everything is filled out completely normal except you don't fill nothing in for your spouse's SSN or ITIN and then you check the box for married filing separately. TaxAct even asks if the spouse is a nonresident alien and it automatically put NRA in the SSN/ITIN line. I would think other software like TurboTax would also do the same. You will not be able to E-file though. You will have to mail in your papers.

I do have a question of my own though. I asked my wife if she has any papers showing what she made last year. She didn't keep any documents since she doesn't really pay any taxes since she makes so little and is going to school in Germany. For those that amended later or include spouse's income on their taxes, what amounts did you use? Do you have to convert it to American dollars? If you did, did you use the current exchange rate or the exchange rate then? Do other countries have an equivalent to the USA's W-2?

Oh, and one more thing....For those who plan on amending their returns, MAKE SURE you print or have extra copies of your taxes. You will need them when you redo your taxes and compare the differences when doing your amended return (form 1040X).

Edited by joshuah57

I do have a question of my own though. I asked my wife if she has any papers showing what she made last year. She didn't keep any documents since she doesn't really pay any taxes since she makes so little and is going to school in Germany. For those that amended later or include spouse's income on their taxes, what amounts did you use? Do you have to convert it to American dollars? If you did, did you use the current exchange rate or the exchange rate then? Do other countries have an equivalent to the USA's W-2?

When you go back and do your joint return--

Her income is reported converted to US dollars. You should use the exchange rate at the time it was earned. If it was fairly even all year, you can do a yearly average, or you could break it up by months and convert each month. Oanda.com has a good historical rate tool.

Her income is self reported. Nothing on paper similar to a W2 Is required for filing. I would certainly keep notes of what rates you used and earnings so just in case of audit, you remember what you did. Maybe she has online bank statements showing deposits to use to estimate since she doesn't have other records.

Her income goes on line 7 added to yours. You will do a form 2555 or better 2555EZ Foreign Income Exclusion to exclude the foreign. That shows up on the 1040 as a negative number on Line 21 "Other Income". If is thus subtracted out before Line 22 "Total Income".

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

I just finished doing my taxes for 2014. I filed married filing separately just like it has been said many times on here. I plan on amending my return when she gets here. For those who do their own taxes or are thinking of doing their own taxes, it is VERY easy to do this. I did use TaxAct to do my taxes. Everything is filled out completely normal except you don't fill nothing in for your spouse's SSN or ITIN and then you check the box for married filing separately. TaxAct even asks if the spouse is a nonresident alien and it automatically put NRA in the SSN/ITIN line. I would think other software like TurboTax would also do the same. You will not be able to E-file though. You will have to mail in your papers.

Oh, and one more thing....For those who plan on amending their returns, MAKE SURE you print or have extra copies of your taxes. You will need them when you redo your taxes and compare the differences when doing your amended return (form 1040X).

joshuah57: I'm using TaxAct to do my tax return, when you choose: Check here if your spouse is a Nonresident Alien and is not required to have an SSN or ITIN - it did automatically put NRA in your tax form, but it put it in wrong field, in the Full name of your spouse, not in the Spouse's SSN field, and it wont put the name of your spouse in your tax when filing separately. I was wondering if you've experienced any of that? or it just me? Thanks.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

joshuah57: I'm using TaxAct to do my tax return, when you choose: Check here if your spouse is a Nonresident Alien and is not required to have an SSN or ITIN - it did automatically put NRA in your tax form, but it put it in wrong field, in the Full name of your spouse, not in the Spouse's SSN field, and it wont put the name of your spouse in your tax when filing separately. I was wondering if you've experienced any of that? or it just me? Thanks.

Sorry I took so long to reply. What you see is correct. Since you are not filing jointly, the name and social security number do not need to be entered in that top section. If you look at the filing status, it says to enter social number above and full name here. Since there is not social number and the spouse is a nonresident alien, you just enter NRA (or in this case, TaxAct does it for you).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.