Peung

What's the right and benefits shoud I ask for my baby? I am pregnant with US Marine

39 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How much does it cost?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I don't know how much exactly for the lawyer but I was looking and saw on this website http://personalfinance.costhelper.com/child-support-attorney.html

It say : Average Price: Usually Starts Around $2,000-$4,000 and High Price: Can Run $4,000-$25,000 for Complex, Contested Cases....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I know we have a place like this in Milwaukee.

https://www.milmission.org/

With even care and legal assistance for weddless mothers.

My wife also an immigrant, US citizen that works in a hospital has sent woman down there. Best I could find in New Mexico, was a women attorney that volunteers her time in these detention centers.

Don't have to share your financial status, your personal life, whether you have family here, etc. But know that help is available, just have to find it.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

What you should have is better judgment which is a " right ". The benefit would be avoiding these situations.

I don't know much about the military but NLR does so I would follow the advise. This should be done first. I think the Marines have an office that will help you. This isn't the first time a Marine has done this I am sure.

How long are you going to be in the USA legally?

You are going to need legal advise which the B F can pay for. Find a lawyer to ask about this case including legal fees. Nothing wrong with peoples suggestions about what you should do but you better make sure whatever you do revolves around the laws. Don't assume for example that the child will allow you to remain in the USA.

You must have a legal instrument ( court order ) that dictates what must be done in your hands before you return to Thailand. I hope that will include the childs support ect. Make sure you are clear on what will happen when this " Marine " doesn't pay.

This U S Marine is pathetic and a child himself. Expect the actions of a child not a man. He, for example already has a child so he doesn't get the choose again. He doesn't have to live with you but he does have to support his child and in some ways the mother of his child. Plan on living in Thailand with the assistance of the child support.

You can get Medicaid for your pregnancy.

You will not be able to change to a B-1 visa to stay in the US. A B-1/B-2 visa is for visiting the US. It is not for living in the US.

All you have is the father's promise to provide. There is no way to legally enforce a promise. You need a written agreement where he acknowledge the baby is his and he will pay $500 in child support.

What is your plan after the baby is born? You can't stay. What will you do if the father will not give permission for you to take the baby home to Thailand?

You need to get real professional help. Go get a lawyer. Go to Catholic Charities for free help. This is about you losing your baby. There are very serious consequences for you and your baby depending on how you approach your situation.

You need to make the decision if this is about protecting your baby or your desire to immigrate to the US. Which is more important?

IMHO, this is your best plan. Get his CO involved to help. Get a DNA test BEFORE the baby is born to determine paternity. Go home to Thailand to have the baby. Use the DNA test and other supporting documents to get a CRBA for your child to establish US citizenship at the US Embassy in Thailand. If the father wants custody, he will have to go to a court in Thailand which is unlikely to give him sole custody and allow him to take the baby to the US.

If you have the baby in the US, you could end up losing custody of the baby because the US court will favor the baby being here. You will have no means to stay in the US once your visa expires. You could end up returning home alone.

There is a lot of info here that you can use to create a plan. The focus should be on the child and required support that should be dictated by a U S based court order. Begin doing what you have to with the help of the Marine base commanders office. Aaron has indicated this as well.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I don't know how much exactly for the lawyer but I was looking and saw on this website http://personalfinance.costhelper.com/child-support-attorney.html

It say : Average Price: Usually Starts Around $2,000-$4,000 and High Price: Can Run $4,000-$25,000 for Complex, Contested Cases....

Its possible to find a lawyer that will work for the fee set by the court and paid by the father. See family court in your area for basic info. Again talk to his base commanders office.

You're never going to get anything out of this man without talking to his CO. However if he's actually married, (which I actually suspect is his issue,) having you as a pregnant girlfriend, will likely get him kicked out of the military as well.

So you have two options:

Talk to his Commanding Officer and get the military involved. They do NOT like it when one of their own is not living up to a certain code of conduct. They will take care of things and help you if they can.

(If they don't then you always have the next option.)

OR

You can go home, have your baby, and learn to live a happy life. Forget about getting this baby citizenship. Forget about staying in the USA.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

I know it sucks that this guy isn't living up to his part of the bargain. But as a woman, you have to be prepared for that when you're not married, and sometimes, even when you are. There are choices you need to make and they need to happens sooner, not later.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

You have been given some good advise and some not so good. As it has been stated. Go to his Commanding Officer or his Staff NCO. They will provide you with all the information that you need. I'm sure that the base he is station at has a medical clinic and they are able to do the DNA testing if he denies that the baby is his. As far as him only giving you a verbal agreement that he will pay you child support cause if he signs something he will lose his job is not true whether he is married or not. If he is married the Marine Corp will not kick you of for cheating on your wife...The reason I know this is I was in the Marines and got out as a Staff NCO and dealt with issues like this while I was in.

I've heard of it happening, but that was 3rd party information. Thanks for clarifying.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.