BA2WA

Received NOA1, what next?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hi! The USCIS case status page says that our K-1 visa application was received on Nov. 17th and was being sent to the California Service Center.

In reading the timelines, I'm not entirely certain what happens next. It seems like we simply wait for 5 months or so to hear anything further, then the Buenos Aires consulate takes over when the NVC forwards the file.

Is it 5 months of crossed fingers, or does anything happen in the meantime? I can prepare documentation for the embassy interview but I don't want it to be outdated by the time we actually need it.

One additional question...

The USCIS case status page also said to call a 1-800 number if we haven't received a receipt in the mail by Dec 17th. We live together in Buenos Aires and toll-free numbers are not available from outside the U.S. Anyone know what to do if nothing arrives in the mail? I'm having big problems getting things from the States the past few months. A direct number or email address would really help.

Thanks!

Edited by BA2WA

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

:guides: easily accessible at the top of the forum page. In particular, the K1 Flowchart: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow

:time: when you accurately fill it out, VJ can provide you with processing time stats.

Good luck on your visa journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

If you were sent to CSC and are expecting 5 months, you're in for a pleasant surprise. :)

Also, you can use Skype to call most US 800 numbers anywhere in the world, for free. And did you put a US address as your mailing address? If so, the hard copies will go there. If not...I don't know.

Timeline

I've read the guides.

Between steps 3 and 4 of the flow chart (NOA1, NOA2) it says to see Processing Times, which I've done and found 5 months for CSC. Does that mean we now wait approximately 5 months before doing anything or receiving anything?

Please, surprise me pleasantly! Is it realistic to expect something sooner given the info mentioned above?

I've never tried Skype. Thanks for that info, which hopefully won't be necessary.

Timeline

I just entered our information into a timeline. At the bottom it says: "Based on timeline data, your I129f may be adjudicated between December 3, 2014 and December 9, 2014*."

What then is the 5 months mentioned in the Flow Chart Processing times for the California Service Center?

Sorry if I seem confused but I am.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I just entered our information into a timeline. At the bottom it says: "Based on timeline data, your I129f may be adjudicated between December 3, 2014 and December 9, 2014*."

What then is the 5 months mentioned in the Flow Chart Processing times for the California Service Center?

Sorry if I seem confused but I am.

These are estimates and very dependent on several factors, including, but not limited to, VJ members providing the correct information in their timelines. BTW, is Armenia your interviewing embassy?

Three years ago, it took 147 days for us to get our visa approved at the CSC. There are some folks that were processed sooner, and some slower. With the demise of K1 visa processing at the VSC, and the involvement of the TSC in K1 processing, the transferring of workloads between the various service centers, many folks have yet to update their timelines. This has had a net effect of likely skewing of the data.

YMMV,

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

There is such a huge difference between NOW (Dec 3-9) and five months that it would render the timeline worthless. What do I not understand?

No, we will ultimately be filing (interviewing) at the Buenos Aires Argentina Consulate.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Check here for up-to-date timelines that reflect CSC's current processing times:

http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/monthly_filers.php?cfl=

You'll see that most cases without an RFE are processed within a month right now. I believe CSC takes a little longer to send the file to the NVC than Texas does, but CSC's lightning-fast pace more than makes up for that difference. You can look up (recent) cases specifically from Argentina who got sent to CSC and see how long the whole process took beginning to end on this site.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

If Armenia is showing up as your consulate's country, you'll have to go in to change it to Argentina. Armenia is the VJ default for when people don't indicate a consulate.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

~ Moved from K-1 Process and Procedures to K-1 Case Filing and Progress Reports -topic is filing/case status ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If Armenia is showing up as your consulate's country, you'll have to go in to change it to Argentina. Armenia is the VJ default for when people don't indicate a consulate.

Ahhhh that explains a lot, I was wondering why when I search similar timelines I see Armenia!

Thx

10/25: Mailed my I-129F using USPS Express to Texas Lockbox

10/27: NOA 1 notification from USCIS

10/30: NOA 1 Hard copy received in the mail

12/15: NOA 2 Email/Text (49 Days)

12/17: USCIS Sent case to NVC

12/29: NVC Received Case

12/30: MNL# Assigned

1/6: USEM Received Case "Ready"

1/29: Interview :dancing: (APPROVED)

Filed: Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hi BA2WA,

Glad your process is off to a great start! My now husband and I began our process in May 2014 and were married on Nov 10, 2014. He was in Buenos Aires for most of that time while I was here the starts, so our cases differ in that. But take a look at my timeline for an idea of how things went for us. Between NOA1 and NOA2 we didn't have as much time as we expected. The biggest delay for us was actually gathering the documents in Argentina, namely military records that I do not think you will have to deal with.

Feel free to reach out with any questions! Best of luck!

K-1 Timeline

2014-05-19: Submitted I-129F to Dallas Lockbox via USPS

2014-05-22: Notification of confirmed delivery by USPS

2014-05-27: NOA1 notification by email

2014-05-30: Notification by email that Alien Registration Number had changed

2014-06-02: NOA1 hard copy received by mail

2014-06-10: APPROVED! NOA2 notification by text/email (14 days after NOA1!)

2014-06-14: NOA2 hard copy received by mail

2014-06-20: File received at NVC & case # received over phone

2014-07-11: Packet 3 received from Buenos Aires Embassy

2014-10-07: Packet 3 sent (after long wait gathering documents in Argentina)

2014-10-21: Packet 4 received from Buenos Aires Embassy & interview scheduled

2014-10-27: INTERVIEW: K1 Visa APPROVED! :dancing:

2014-11-07: POE in Houston, TX & arrival into Denver, CO

2014-11-10: MARRIED :luv:

2014-11-14: AOS Paperwork Submitted

2014-11-20: NOA received for receipt of AOS Paperwork

CSC are processing application faster than under a month currently, but you never know with the holidays coming up.

K-1 Journey: 309 days from received to POE (TSC)

[september 11, 2014] - I-129F received by USCIS

[september 15, 2014] - NOA1
[May 27, 2015] - NOA2
[July 9, 2015] - I N T E R V I E W! (APPROVED!)
[July 13, 2015] - Issued
[July 14, 2015] - Visa in hand
[July 16, 2015] - POE JFK

AOS Journey: 169 days from received to GC in hand (NSC)

Spoiler

[July 17, 2015] - Successfully applied for SSN

[July 18, 2015] - Sent out AOS package

[July 21, 2015] - Received

[July 24, 2015] - NOA1 (3x)

[August 18, 2015] - Biometrics

[september 19, 2015] - EAD/AP approval (63 days)

[september 24, 2015] - EAD/AP Received

[January 6, 2016] - Green Card approved without interview(166 days)

[January 12, 2016] - Received Green Card

ROC journey starts: October 2017

ROC Journey: 419 days (VSC)

[October 30, 2017] - Sent package

[November 3, 2017] - NOA1

[November 18, 2017] - Biometrics letter received

[December 5, 2017] - Biometrics

[December 18, 2018] - Card is being produced (no interview)

[December 22, 2018] - Received Green Card

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.