Nathan&Cata

Who has been in the same situation???

22 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Good afternoon, I have a question:

My fiance Wants to start applying for my k1 visa... And we are trying to see if we have all the requirements... Our question is about the taxe returns and about the financial support. He hadn't filed for taxes before. So he is just gonna file for them this year 2014. He started a good job last July and he is making more than the poverty line. We are not sure if when the time of my interview in Bogota, Colombia comes I am gonna have a problem if the taxes from 2014 don't show more than 19.400.00 dollars? With his job he is gonna make around 30 and 40 thousands a year... But he only has about 5 months working... If I present a letter from his work, and prove of his pay checks would it be enough?

Thanks for your help

I know this is difficult, but I will keep trying. It will work because, this distance is nothing compared to our love. :wub:

10/2013 we met at church in USA, through some common friends. We became friends.

06/07/2014 we went to our first date. :dancing: Why did we take so long to go out? :ranting:

06/22/2014 I said YES.. I want to be your girlfriend... :luv:

07/16/2014 I had to come back to Colombia because my program was over :cry:

10/10/2014 My love met me in Colombia to spend my birthday weekend with me. We got engaged (L)

02/17/2015 - 03/09/2015 He came back to Colombia to visit me and met my family. :star:

05/12/2015 We couldn't stand the distance, so he decided to move here with me. :wub:

05/28/2015 We got married at the notary. 06/06/2015 We got married at church :D

12/03/2016  Moved back to the USA. 🥰

08/2020 Became a Citizen. 🇱🇷

08/2020 Applied to bring my mom. ❤️

02/28/2022 went to pick my mom to the airport in Florida 🤩

A letter from his employer should be sufficient. Alternatively, you could use a co-sponsor if your embassy allows. Good luck! :)

Edited by Pheebs1201

Immigration Timeline

June 2013: Met whilst working at a summer camp in Michigan 

K1

November 1st 2014: I-129f submitted for K1 visa

February 24th 2015: Visa in hand!

February 26th 2015: POE at Las Vegas airport, then onwards to Oregon! 

March 6th 2015: Marriage (with a "real" wedding to follow next year on 7/6/2016)

March 9th 2015: AOS, EAD & AP submitted

September 22nd 2015: Interview

January 14th 2016: Two year Green card received -phew!

ROC

August 8th 2017: 90 day window begins! ROC time!

September 28th 2017: Biometric Appointment in Portland, OR

March 5th 2018: Case received by local office

August 18th 2018: 18 month extension letter mailed

December 2018: Case moved to another office

February 2019: I was emailed that I was approved and my card was in production the same day of my N400 interview 😂

N400

August 8th 2018: Window opens to submit naturalization application

August 13th 2018: N400 Application submitted online 

August 14th 2018: NOA1

September 6th 2018: Biometrics

February 6th 2019: Interview Date! APPROVED!

February 6th 2019: I was asked to return later the same day for my Oath Ceremony! :dance:

❤️ Our Visa Journey is finally complete ❤️

I am the Beneficiary

Timeline

But this co-sponson has to be a family member? Or can this person just be a friend?

I know this is difficult, but I will keep trying. It will work because, this distance is nothing compared to our love. :wub:

10/2013 we met at church in USA, through some common friends. We became friends.

06/07/2014 we went to our first date. :dancing: Why did we take so long to go out? :ranting:

10/10/2014 My love met me in Colombia to spend my birthday weekend with me. We got engaged (L)

02/17/2015 - 03/09/2015 He came back to Colombia to visit me and met my family. :star:

05/12/2015 We couldn't stand the distance, so he decided to move here with me. :wub:

But this co-sponson has to be a family member? Or can this person just be a friend?

My understanding is that it can be any willing USC residing in the US and who meets the income requirements.

Immigration Timeline

June 2013: Met whilst working at a summer camp in Michigan 

K1

November 1st 2014: I-129f submitted for K1 visa

February 24th 2015: Visa in hand!

February 26th 2015: POE at Las Vegas airport, then onwards to Oregon! 

March 6th 2015: Marriage (with a "real" wedding to follow next year on 7/6/2016)

March 9th 2015: AOS, EAD & AP submitted

September 22nd 2015: Interview

January 14th 2016: Two year Green card received -phew!

ROC

August 8th 2017: 90 day window begins! ROC time!

September 28th 2017: Biometric Appointment in Portland, OR

March 5th 2018: Case received by local office

August 18th 2018: 18 month extension letter mailed

December 2018: Case moved to another office

February 2019: I was emailed that I was approved and my card was in production the same day of my N400 interview 😂

N400

August 8th 2018: Window opens to submit naturalization application

August 13th 2018: N400 Application submitted online 

August 14th 2018: NOA1

September 6th 2018: Biometrics

February 6th 2019: Interview Date! APPROVED!

February 6th 2019: I was asked to return later the same day for my Oath Ceremony! :dance:

❤️ Our Visa Journey is finally complete ❤️

I am the Beneficiary

Timeline

My understanding is that it can be any willing USC residing in the US and who meets the income requirements.

Thanks ☺️

A letter from his employer should be sufficient. Alternatively, you could use a co-sponsor if your embassy allows. Good luck! :)

I second what Pheebs said :) You can have a notarized letter of employment stating his annual salary and couple of latest paystubs.

Timeline

I second what Pheebs said :) You can have a notarized letter of employment stating his annual salary and couple of latest paystubs.

Yeah... That's what I have been reading, that embassies care more about the current income... I was just worried because he just started this new job and we are only gonna be able to present the tax return for 2014 when the interview comes, and not the other years... And his tax return won't show more than the poverty line because he has only worked for like 4 months...but on his letter of employment and the latest pay stubs we are gonna be able to show that he makes enough money for what they are requiring.... And just in case we are going to try to have a join sponsor.... Just to make sure.... Hopefully we won't need it... ???

Thanks very much ???

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You should list his current annual income of exactly whatever it comes out to be. Hourly rate times hours worked per week and then multiplied by 52 weeks. That will be his gross current annual income. Provide a letter from employer and most recent pay stubs to prove that income amount. Have him write a statement as to why he was not legally required taxes in 2013, in case you have an interview before he files his 2014 taxes. If your interview is after the 2014 taxes are filed, then just provide a copy of that most recent filing.

If you want to use a co-sponsor anyway, then it can be any US citizen or lawful permanent resident of the US. They should include all the same suporting documents for the I-134 plus proof of being a USC or LPR.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

You should list his current annual income of exactly whatever it comes out to be. Hourly rate times hours worked per week and then multiplied by 52 weeks. That will be his gross current annual income. Provide a letter from employer and most recent pay stubs to prove that income amount. Have him write a statement as to why he was not legally required taxes in 2013, in case you have an interview before he files his 2014 taxes. If your interview is after the 2014 taxes are filed, then just provide a copy of that most recent filing.

If you want to use a co-sponsor anyway, then it can be any US citizen or lawful permanent resident of the US. They should include all the same suporting documents for the I-134 plus proof of being a USC or LPR.

Thanks very much... Fortunately, my interview will be after next year... So I hope I have his tax return by then... Thanks again ?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

The reason for the tax returns/proof of income is to show that you will not become a burden to the state/tax payers by coming here. Your fiancée, being new to The US may not be enough to prove that, as it's not legal for you to apply for welfare, etc. within the first five years. So best option would to be a co-sponsor in addition to your fiancée. However, they would have to understand that they're taking you on if things go south (which is why it's usually a family member - few others will want that responsibility).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Why would they need a co-sponsor if the USC petitioner makes $30-40k for a household size of 2? That is enough to meet the requirement for a household size of 4-6.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Why would they need a co-sponsor if the USC petitioner makes $30-40k for a household size of 2? That is enough to meet the requirement for a household size of 4-6.

1. Unless you live in a very depressed area, not necessarily. That isn't even minimum wage in a big city for one, never mind 2, and it's poverty for a family of 4-6. You are seriously under-estimating the ability to live on that wage in the U.S.

2. Your fiancée doesn't have a proven track record of employment in the U.S. (meaning, he hasn't filed taxes yet), and given the requirement of not applying for public assistance within 5 years, you as a couple are a huge risk to the U.S. taxpayers having to foot the bill for you if anything happens at all to either one of you (medical emergency, loss of job, prolonged illness, having a child).

Timeline

Unless of course you plan to move in with another family and don't have any expenses at all. Then your estimate is about right.

Timeline

Unless of course you plan to move in with another family and don't have any expenses at all. Then your estimate is about right.

I think we will be fine with my fiance's income, but just in case not..we are gonna try to have a co-sponsor to avoid any problem...But thanks so much to everybody for take your time to answer my questions. :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

1. Unless you live in a very depressed area, not necessarily. That isn't even minimum wage in a big city for one, never mind 2, and it's poverty for a family of 4-6. You are seriously under-estimating the ability to live on that wage in the U.S.

2. Your fiancée doesn't have a proven track record of employment in the U.S. (meaning, he hasn't filed taxes yet), and given the requirement of not applying for public assistance within 5 years, you as a couple are a huge risk to the U.S. taxpayers having to foot the bill for you if anything happens at all to either one of you (medical emergency, loss of job, prolonged illness, having a child).

It sounds like you're confusing two separate things: what the poverty guidelines are and the amount of money it takes to live relatively comfortably in the US. Even if these are two different numbers, the CO will only be concerned with the first one.

Also, a "proven track record" is relative and not the requirement. That's why the poverty guidelines are used -- to provide an objective minimum annual income.

Also, nowhere in the process does the USCIS/consulate ask if the petitioner has health insurance, so things like medical emergencies/illnesses/pregnancies shouldn't be a factor.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.