Shadaryia

Expired VWP, married US citizen and filing AOS 4 years later

26 posts in this topic

My fiancé's VWP expires January 27th, 2015. Not initially planned when he came here to see me but we now plan to marry end of January before his VWP expires. I can't file the I-130, I-485, I-864 until I finish nursing school in about 3 to 4 years and then can show I make 35k a year to sponsor him.

He will be out of status for 4 to 5 years. Opinions and experiences on what will happen in result of this action is appreciated. Thanks!

Not a good idea, to be ot of status for that long.

Not only he would not be able to work, drive or leave the country (if he leaves, he might have a hard time returning), but if found deportation procedures could be in his future. At that point you would need to file AOS in a hurry.

Alternatively, you could find a co-sponsor (anyone who is a citizen or LPR can be, does not need to be a relative)

Or, postpone marriage until you are able to AOS. For AOS, depending on the state you are, and assuming just you and spouse in household is about 18-20k/year, plus the application fees

I have asked everyone I know and can't find a co-sponsor so I guess we are just completely out of luck :(

What is the reason people is not willing to?

While it is true that there are some obligations (contractual/financial) a co-sponsor would have -if your future spouse ends up receiving federal aid; they are not as hard IMHO. I have been a co-sponsor myself for a friend of mine.

I'd not risk being out of status for that long. Too many complications could arise.

Filed: Timeline

What is the reason people is not willing to?

While it is true that there are some obligations (contractual/financial) a co-sponsor would have -if your future spouse ends up receiving federal aid; they are not as hard IMHO. I have been a co-sponsor myself for a friend of mine.

I'd not risk being out of status for that long. Too many complications could arise.

Being a co-sponsor is a huge responsibility not to be taken likely.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/522091-protecting-sponsor-from-i-864-lawsuits/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

From your last post OP..,.,.,you do not like the answers you were getting here.

Get married, and he goes back to the U.K., and file spousal visa.,,.and go to school while the process works, he can work, an visit also.

There is most always sacrifice in these situations, are you ready to make one, just do not subject him to a 4-5 year over stay.

Things happen that we don't expect. What if in those 3-4 years he has a family member become ill or God forbids, dies...and he needs to leave? I know you're main concern when you're in love is you just want to be together and not be separated, believe me when I say, we ALL get that as most of us have been through it. But you really don't want to have him out of status for that long. Too much can go wrong. Not to mention the toll it would take on his mental health having to stay home and not work...not drive...not help support his family??

10/26/03 Met in Yahoo chat room
06-2004 Glyn flies to Boston for 2 week holiday with me in White Mountains
06/07/2006- HE PROPOSES!!
12/13/2006- Glyn and Simon the best man fly in for wedding.
December 16,2006- Happiest day of my life
12/25/2006- Best and worst Christmas ever. Glyn flies back to England at 6 pm Christmas Night.
02/19/2007- UK spousal visa approved in NY after only 4 days.
March 2,2007- Reunited in England with Glyn.
01/21/2008-mailed I-130 to USCIS in London
01/24/2008-NOA1
04/13/2008-Panic. RFE received
April 17, 2008-Mailed off again.
April 22, 2008-NOA2 received dated April 21, 2008.
April 26, 2008-Packet 3 received
April 28, 2008-Mailed off DS-230
May06,2008-Packet 3 sent
May 08, 2008-Medical scheduled
May 22,2008-Packet 4 received
June 03,2008-Interview APPROVED!!!!!

June 04, 2008-Visa in hand
June 20, 2008-Shippers come for our things.
June 25, 2008-Flying to the USA
November 15, 2010-Sent off VERY late I-751 along with many prayers.
04/09/2011-10 year GC arrives in mail.
09/08/2011-Glyn leaves for UK
01/30/2012-Biometrics for UK spousal & dependent visas sent out w/ application same day
02/24/2012-UK settlement visas issued

04/16/2013-I-130 sent off-----04/19/2013 NOA1

05/15/2013-NOA2

Never received packet 3 although it was mailed to us on May 29th

07/17/2013-Sent off packet 3 after finally getting ALL our documents together

08/19/2013-Medical scheduled (there were earlier appointments but unfortunately, we couldn't get there for them due to hubby's work)

09/24/2013-Interview APPROVED

11/01/2013-POE BOSTON

01/13/2014-10 Year green card received

03/09/2019- Sent I-130 to Chicago lock box for step-son

03/20/2019- NOA 1

08/10/2019-NOA 2

Thanks for everyone's replies, very appreciated. We may have a joint sponsor to help. -crosses fingers- I can't file forms for a couple of months but all hopefully will be filed by March same year.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Thanks for everyone's replies, very appreciated. We may have a joint sponsor to help. -crosses fingers- I can't file forms for a couple of months but all hopefully will be filed by March same year.

Apart from all the legal issues, I would be worried about relationship. Moving overseas has lots of frustrations itself, being stuck home, unable to work can break even strongest relationship. It's a terrible plan and I wonder if your future spouse knows what his immediate future looks like...

Being a co-sponsor is a huge responsibility not to be taken likely.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/522091-protecting-sponsor-from-i-864-lawsuits/

No one is saying there is no responsibility or to take it lightly. Merely asking what are the reasons because it could be that some education is needed. Vast majority of people is grossly uninformed about immigration and some of the derived processes, such as this one we are discussing As I noted, I've been a sponsor myself, and not even for a relative.

And yes, there could be lawsuits, etc; no one is denying that; but before you create a storm in a glass of water, Would stats be posted as to what is the rate of lawsuites and the rates of recovery of monies from the government and other 3rd parties? I've never seen one myself, but suspect it to be low.

Advise has been given to OP to not be out of status for long, co-sponsor or hold on marriage advise has also been given; before scaring OP to death, let's provide balanced information as to what the implications of not meeting the 864 are, that is, lawsuits and government action is possible, but also, what are the probabilities and in what cases has the governmnet and 3rd parties moved, as well as what are the results. Just because lawsuits have been started does not mean that cause was lost or won; anyone can sue as we all know, but prevailing in the case is another matter entirely.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

For a single male there is very little chance. Never say never. But being hit by lightning worries me more.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Then this person might be so unlucky to get sued.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/522653-co-sponsors-responsibility-after-filing-ch-13-bankruptcy/#entry7341188

Edited by Merrytooth

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.