-PiLoT-

once its all done what ticket

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

once its all done what ticket do i buy?

one way is £1,700

3 days return just in case is about the same and a one week return is about £550

if i buy a one way theres a risk that they could not let me in right? and if they do for any other reason im stuck

a 3 day is expensive but less time to wait in airport if the deny entry

and if i buy a week return which is the cheaper and better option, and they refuse my entry what do i do sit in the airport for a week?

any advice is good

Edited by -PiLoT-

* - 18th August 2014 - I-129f Sent

* - 21st August 2015 - Recived at CSC

* - 30th September - NOA 1 Received

* - 3rd November - NOA 2 Received

-- was never sent to NVC, got it re approved --

* - 9th January - NOA 2 approved

* - 13th January - Notice from CSC that it was sent this time to NVC

* - 21st January - Received at NVC

* - 22nd January - Case Number assisgned

* - 31st January - left NVC for London

* - 6th Feb - Arrived at Embassy

* - 10th Feb - Packet 3 Received and DS-160 Filled out.

* - 25th February - Medical :dancing:

* - 26th February - readiness form sent

* - 7th April - Interview - approved

* - 14th April - Visa in hand.

* - 17th April Tickets booked http://itsalmo.st/#timetofly

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

I assume you mean once you have the K1 visa and are set to move to the US, right?

Your risk of being denied entry is the same with the round-trip ticket or the one-way ticket. It's a very very small risk, so I wouldn't worry about it. The only reason you'd get denied is if you're bringing illegal drugs or attack someone in the airport or something like that. Yes, the customs officials have the final say on your entry, but if you search on VJ I don't think you'll find any K1s being denied entry (I haven't seen any).

Most people buy whatever ticket is the cheapest, and cancel the return ticket once they're here.

April 27, 2016: I-751 mailed

May 2: I-751 received

May ??? NOA1

May 12: Check cashed

May 31: Biometrics appointment scheduled

June 1: Biometrics appointment letter arrives!

June 2: Biometrics walk-in

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You will be fine. They will not deny your entry, don't worry.

I am already thinking about tickets though too and have been researching buying a ticket with a return flight even though she is not planning on returning. So just canceling it few days before the flight back. For me the return flight option is about $1000 cheaper than one way What i have found people on this forum say is just to buy whatever is cheapest. If it is cheapest to buy a one way do that if it is cheaper to buy a two way return ticket than get that and cancel the return flight. I hear about people not being let on a plane because they had no return flight but once they involved a supervisor they got it cleared up in the airport.

once its all done what ticket do i buy?

one way is £1,700

3 days return just in case is about the same and a one week return is about £550

if i buy a one way theres a risk that they could not let me in right? and if they do for any other reason im stuck

a 3 day is expensive but less time to wait in airport if the deny entry

and if i buy a week return which is the cheaper and better option, and they refuse my entry what do i do sit in the airport for a week?

any advice is good

Buy the cheapest return you can find. It doesn't have to be 3 day, a week, or even 90 days. It could be six months. Pick a return date at the cheapest month and time of day you find by experimenting with different dates. Then cancel to return leg after your POE.

FYI--anybody denied entry at an airport is put on the next available plane home, no matter what ticket they hold if any.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

I flew one way, many people do. It depends, sometimes return fares are cheaper. Just cancel the unused portion.

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Check to see if either of you have sufficient miles on a frequent flier program for a one way ticket as it is always half "price" and may be a good deal if you need to fly onward from your Port of Entry.

Also check last minute travel sites and bucket shops for bargain flights. No need for a round trip ticket unless that is truly you least expensive option.

Timeline

the 550 is fine lol. heres advice i do want to give.

Before anyone searches for tickets delete cache and cookies from browser.

airline ticket proivders add a cookie that lets them know ur looking for ticket. and normally they inflate the price a bit

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Some comments on and corrections to the posts below:

1. Your risk of being denied entry is the same with the round-trip ticket or the one-way ticket.

2. It's a very very small risk

3. The only reason you'd get denied is if you're bringing illegal drugs or attack someone in the airport or something like that. Yes, the customs officials have the final say on your entry, but if you search on VJ I don't think you'll find any K1s being denied entry (I haven't seen any).

4. Most people buy whatever ticket is the cheapest, and cancel the return ticket once they're here.

1. This is accurate.

2. This is accurate, but see 3.

3. When I had this question, a knowledgeable immigration attorney said that the CBP can refuse entry for any reason that the consulate might have used; however, CBP almost never gives K-1 entrants much hassle, because they've presumably been put through the wringer very recently at the consulate.

4. True. (Look at http://www.itasoftware.comas a great site for comparing fares.)

Take care to cancel the return portion of the ticket after you arrive here. This is an easy step to overlook, amidst the excitement of arriving and starting your new life. However, airlines have been known to book standby passengers in the original passenger's place... and not correct the passenger manifest. This has caused massive problems during Adjustment of Status: the airline records show that the recent immigrant has left the U.S. without permission, even when the immigrant hasn't left at all. This is a mess beyond one's worst nightmare.

Upon arrival here, call the airline, cancel the return portion, note the time & date of your call and the name & location of the airline employee to whom you spoke, and put this information with the rest of your immigration papers. It's far better to be safe than sorry.

You will be fine. They will not deny your entry, don't worry.

The risk is remote, but no one can assure this with 100% certainty. One thing that I learned during this process was never to underestimate CBP until naturalization has been attained.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

pretty sure the people i buy from dont do refunds, but never thought too much about the manifest

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Wouldn't their passport records when returning to their home country solve the flight manifest problem?

I don't recall how the affected VJ members got out of their pickle. This is not something that people usually think about, and it has turned into a very unpleasant surprise during Adjustment of Status.

Do you have to buy round trip ticket, I think for a K 1 visa holder you are migrating to the USA, so therefore a one way ticket should be fine? Correct me if am rite guys, are you going to have problem at the POE for buying a one way ticket if you are going to spend your life with your fiancée in the states.

This has been answered above and in many previous threads.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If your visa is approved, WHY, would you not be admitted to the USA? Is there a problem you have not disclosed?

I hope all is well, and you have a safe and non-eventful entry!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.