Cam54

Random times or places you've become overwhelmed in America...

63 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

writing a check to pay our rent .

My husband still doesn't really understand how to write out a check. *sigh*

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

My husband still doesn't really understand how to write out a check. *sigh*

Hasn't he ever written out a check in India? I'm from India, and I know I have!

07/14/2011 Wedding

USCIS (187 days)

08/16/2011 I-130 filed

08/19/2011 NOA1
02/22/2012 NOA2

NVC (14 days)
03/08/2012 NVC case #, IIN, emailed DS-3032
03/13/2012 AOS invoiced & paid
03/14/2012 AOS package mailed
03/16/2012 DS-3032 acceptance
03/19/2012 IV bill invoiced and paid
03/20/2012 DS-230 package sent
03/22/2012 Case Complete
04/10/2012 Interview date assigned; packet IV received
MEDICALS/US CONSULATE/POE
05/02/2012 Medicals
05/09/2012 Interview APPROVED
05/11/2012 Visa in hand
05/24/2012 POE TORONTO
06/28/2012 Got SSN and Green Card

ROC

02/27/2014 Package sent

02/28/2014 NOA1

03/28/2014 Biometrics

06/20/2014 Approved

06/22/2014 Got the 10-yr GC
N-400

03/03/2015 Package sent

03/10/2015 Check encashed

03/13/2015 NOA

03/26/2015 Fingerprints

04/27/2015 In line

06/19/2015 Interview letter

07/23/2015 Interview

08/19/2015 Oath ceremony

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

They pump your gas for you in Oregon ;)

I'm sure they do in other states as well but not in Ohio.

My point was it was something he never thought about in India as it was always done for him.

Hasn't he ever written out a check in India? I'm from India, and I know I have!

Nope, he said he always used cash or more rarely, a card.

I am the petitioner.

VMETm4.png

I'm sure they do in other states as well but not in Ohio.

My point was it was something he never thought about in India as it was always done for him.

Yes I understood, my post was intended as a jokey suggestion that you could move there so he doesn't have to pump gas.

When my OH left Oregon for the first time he had the same dilemma so I do sympathise!

Hope he feels more settled soon! :)

Immigration Timeline

June 2013: Met whilst working at a summer camp in Michigan 

K1

November 1st 2014: I-129f submitted for K1 visa

February 24th 2015: Visa in hand!

February 26th 2015: POE at Las Vegas airport, then onwards to Oregon! 

March 6th 2015: Marriage (with a "real" wedding to follow next year on 7/6/2016)

March 9th 2015: AOS, EAD & AP submitted

September 22nd 2015: Interview

January 14th 2016: Two year Green card received -phew!

ROC

August 8th 2017: 90 day window begins! ROC time!

September 28th 2017: Biometric Appointment in Portland, OR

March 5th 2018: Case received by local office

August 18th 2018: 18 month extension letter mailed

December 2018: Case moved to another office

February 2019: I was emailed that I was approved and my card was in production the same day of my N400 interview 😂

N400

August 8th 2018: Window opens to submit naturalization application

August 13th 2018: N400 Application submitted online 

August 14th 2018: NOA1

September 6th 2018: Biometrics

February 6th 2019: Interview Date! APPROVED!

February 6th 2019: I was asked to return later the same day for my Oath Ceremony! :dance:

❤️ Our Visa Journey is finally complete ❤️

I am the Beneficiary

Timeline

Yes I understood, my post was intended as a jokey suggestion that you could move there so he doesn't have to pump gas.

When my OH left Oregon for the first time he had the same dilemma so I do sympathise!

Hope he feels more settled soon! :)

Oops sorry! I guess that's what your winking face was meant for! Haha!

I walked him through it the other day and he kept looking at me desperately like "what do I do next?"

He says he's worried he's going to put diesel in by mistake one day! I just keep telling him green is a no go!

I am the petitioner.

VMETm4.png

Hate cheques! :angry:

I've been here 10 years (initially for work only, now married to a USC) and small things still catch me off guard. I opened a bank account on my 3rd day here, and I was shocked that the bank's customer service rep recommended a checking account. I asked her why and she looked at me like I was crazy, "so you can write checks of course!" "Who accepts checks?" "Can you show me how to fill one out correctly?" "Which country did you say you were from?" That's when I realized we have an expectation gulf, she thought I came from an under developed country where cheques are not an option, but really no one in Australia uses personal cheques, I had never filled out one out. She was rather shocked that we basically used phone and online banking ALL THE TIME :)

Making friends is not always easy, I particularly found it hard with the logistics of organizing a get together in LA, everyone lives so far from each other and you are always at the mercy of the freeways. I ended up meeting a lot of friends through colleagues at work, but in general, community activities, volunteer events, fitness clubs are the places that I've heard most people say had allowed them to meet like minded people.

I find the whole medical care situation here very scary, I work for a large company so we are able to have a little more bargaining power when it comes to negotiating for better policies, but trying to use your benefits is always fraught with confusion and risk of having claims rejected.

People generally understand my accent, however, they don't always understand my word choice e.g. "fortnightly" vs. "bi-weekly", "efficacy vs. effectiveness", in my experience, many American English speakers do not seem to focus as much on specificity or accuracy, so I often have to explain myself, which really defeats the purpose of using the right words to be concise :P

Edited by jjbandero

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hate cheques! :angry:

I've been here 10 years (initially for work only, now married to a USC) and small things still catch me off guard. I opened a bank account on my 3rd day here, and I was shocked that the bank's customer service rep recommended a checking account. I asked her why and she looked at me like I was crazy, "so you can write checks of course!" "Who accepts checks?" "Can you show me how to fill one out correctly?" "Which country did you say you were from?" That's when I realized we have an expectation gulf, she thought I came from an under developed country where cheques are not an option, but really no one in Australia uses personal cheques, I had never filled out one out. She was rather shocked that we basically used phone and online banking ALL THE TIME :)

Making friends is not always easy, I particularly found it hard with the logistics of organizing a get together in LA, everyone lives so far from each other and you are always at the mercy of the freeways. I ended up meeting a lot of friends through colleagues at work, but in general, community activities, volunteer events, fitness clubs are the places that I've heard most people say had allowed them to meet like minded people.

I find the whole medical care situation here very scary, I work for a large company so we are able to have a little more bargaining power when it comes to negotiating for better policies, but trying to use your benefits is always fraught with confusion and risk of having claims rejected.

People generally understand my accent, however, they don't always understand my word choice e.g. "fortnightly" vs. "bi-weekly", "efficacy vs. effectiveness", in my experience, many American English speakers do not seem to focus as much on specificity or accuracy, so I often have to explain myself, which really defeats the purpose of using the right words to be concise :P

The first time I used the word fortnightly Chelsea laughed and said I talked like an 80 year old man hahahah

I also thought that people writing cheques was weird. Given the level of fraud and likelihood of the cheque getting lost, I would have thought internet banking would be bigger. Blew my mind when I found out you still have to write a cheque AND deliver it to certain water companies and such.

04/15/2014 - Filed I129-F

04/22/2014 - NOA 1 received (TSC)

08/11/2014 - Notice of transfer received (CSC)

09/18/2014 - NOA 2 received

11/12/2014 - Interview Date (approved)

12/01/2014 - US Arrival Date

12/10/2014 - Married

02/05/2014 - AOS Filed

02/28/2015 - Notified of Request for Initial Evidence

03/10/2015 - Sent Requested Evidence

04/03/2015 - EAD and Advanced Parole Approved

Oops sorry! I guess that's what your winking face was meant for! Haha!

I walked him through it the other day and he kept looking at me desperately like "what do I do next?"

He says he's worried he's going to put diesel in by mistake one day! I just keep telling him green is a no go!

Haha that's exactly the same concern my OH had! But then he came to visit me in England and green means regular unleaded here so that just added to the confusion... :P

Anyway he's a pro gas pumper now :rofl: in multiple states/countries!

Immigration Timeline

June 2013: Met whilst working at a summer camp in Michigan 

K1

November 1st 2014: I-129f submitted for K1 visa

February 24th 2015: Visa in hand!

February 26th 2015: POE at Las Vegas airport, then onwards to Oregon! 

March 6th 2015: Marriage (with a "real" wedding to follow next year on 7/6/2016)

March 9th 2015: AOS, EAD & AP submitted

September 22nd 2015: Interview

January 14th 2016: Two year Green card received -phew!

ROC

August 8th 2017: 90 day window begins! ROC time!

September 28th 2017: Biometric Appointment in Portland, OR

March 5th 2018: Case received by local office

August 18th 2018: 18 month extension letter mailed

December 2018: Case moved to another office

February 2019: I was emailed that I was approved and my card was in production the same day of my N400 interview 😂

N400

August 8th 2018: Window opens to submit naturalization application

August 13th 2018: N400 Application submitted online 

August 14th 2018: NOA1

September 6th 2018: Biometrics

February 6th 2019: Interview Date! APPROVED!

February 6th 2019: I was asked to return later the same day for my Oath Ceremony! :dance:

❤️ Our Visa Journey is finally complete ❤️

I am the Beneficiary

Timeline

The first time I used the word fortnightly Chelsea laughed and said I talked like an 80 year old man hahahah

I also thought that people writing cheques was weird. Given the level of fraud and likelihood of the cheque getting lost, I would have thought internet banking would be bigger. Blew my mind when I found out you still have to write a cheque AND deliver it to certain water companies and such.

Our apartment community charges $25 to pay your rent online while writing a check and hand delivering it to the office is free.

I don't know why anyone would waste $25 just for the convenience. It's absurd that they even charge that ridiculous fee.

I am the petitioner.

VMETm4.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Our apartment community charges $25 to pay your rent online while writing a check and hand delivering it to the office is free.

I don't know why anyone would waste $25 just for the convenience. It's absurd that they even charge that ridiculous fee.

That is just so silly. Why wouldn't they want the money directly into their account with absolutely no chance of that payment bouncing?

04/15/2014 - Filed I129-F

04/22/2014 - NOA 1 received (TSC)

08/11/2014 - Notice of transfer received (CSC)

09/18/2014 - NOA 2 received

11/12/2014 - Interview Date (approved)

12/01/2014 - US Arrival Date

12/10/2014 - Married

02/05/2014 - AOS Filed

02/28/2015 - Notified of Request for Initial Evidence

03/10/2015 - Sent Requested Evidence

04/03/2015 - EAD and Advanced Parole Approved

That's strange. Even if the bank charges them for the transaction (which, in itself is unusual), $25 is still a huge amount to pay for the convenience.

I got that too! Of course I countered with, "bi-weekly" could be interpreted as "twice per week"!

Cheques are beyond ridiculous, I was told by the bank that if I receive a cheque, and try to deposit it, I must not sign on the back until I am just about ready to deposit, this is because if you sign it, the cheque becomes pretty much made out to "cash", so anyone who gets their hands on it can cash it. I was like are you serious??? :o :o

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I got that too! Of course I countered with, "bi-weekly" could be interpreted as "twice per week"!

Cheques are beyond ridiculous, I was told by the bank that if I receive a cheque, and try to deposit it, I must not sign on the back until I am just about ready to deposit, this is because if you sign it, the cheque becomes pretty much made out to "cash", so anyone who gets their hands on it can cash it. I was like are you serious??? :o :o

Yes, basically.

Although, most places won't deposit it unless the pay to is the same as the person depositing it into their account or there is an additional line written under the signature on the back assigning the check to a different party.

But, yes, don't leave signed checks laying about.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

I never knew that.

Full Definition of BIWEEKLY

: occurring twice a week

: occurring every two weeks : fortnightly

Just write on the back

FOR DEPOSIT ONLY

acct 123456

Signature

Then it can only be deposited in your account.

My bank is cool. I use their app, take front and back photos of the check with the phone, and it deposits into my account without ever leaving home.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm amazed how cheque crazy the USA is! When we opened our new account I was given a full book of cheques for my account for free. In canada meanwhile I had to pay 10-20$ for them and wait 10 days or so to receive personalized ones in the mail.

The photo deposit thing intrigues me. I often wonder how simple it is for people with multiple accounts at multiple banks to defraud the system.

And one other thing I find missing here in the south is the tap feature on a debit card. It sure did make life simpler when I had my TD account to use it. I feel like I'm playing a game of 20 questions when using my debit card at some machines.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.