LibCampFireClub

Rush Limbaugh threatens to sue Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee

98 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

However this goes, it will be funny. ;)

I guess he really likes giving money to lawyers. Since New York Times v. Sullivan, a public figure has the burden of proving a statement is defamatory by clear and convincing evidence that it was both false and made with actual malice (meaning the defendant either knew it was false or made the statement with reckless disregard as to the truth). When statements are made in the public interest (which this arguably is) about a public figure (which Rush definitely is -- and most statements about public figures are in the public interest), this is a tough hurdle to clear.

Except when it's abundantly clear that DCCC hates him with a passion and has been trying to shut him up for years, by any and all means at their disposal. ;)

There are really good policy reasons for this, not least of which is the importance of a vibrant public discourse, which the Supreme Court has held repeatedly to be the bedrock of our nation. But whatever, all y'all can disagree with me, which I'm sure you will.

There's a vibrant public discourse and then there's pulling a Dingy Harry. The thing with pulling a Dingy Harry is that you need to be a sitting Congressperson or Senator to get away with it with impunity. The DCCC doesn't have that luxury.

As for the lawyers and money part, you're spot on. :thumbs:

Win, lose, or draw, the lawyers will make out like bandits. Always have. Always will. :rofl:

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Why, you wouldn't mean this, would you?

No, more the flat-out lies about Mitt Romney not paying taxes for 10 years, a lie he stood behind during the 2012 presidential campaign, safe in the knowledge that, as a sitting US Senator, he couldn't be touched.

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

The problem with Rush is, some people actually think he's a legitimate source for information. Folks hear his show and think they're listening to the news.

so says the guy that gets his info from the Root :)

Filed: Timeline

Re: Limbaugh: as I mentioned in another thread, folks got all twisted because after O'bama's inauguration, Rush said "I hope he fails". He wished ill for the preznit's plans of redistribution of private citizens' wealth, and his plans to make central government far more cumbersome and intrusive. Why's that a crime for a private citizen to say out loud?

And remember: O'bama (aka: the preznit) responded by calling out a private citizen in public. Wanna play preznit? Then act presidential. Wanna be a lowlife thug? Then keep on doing like you're doing, Barry. <_<

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

That won't happen. I am sure your post will fly right above their heads. Wasted pearls if you ask me...

I guess he really likes giving money to lawyers. Since New York Times v. Sullivan, a public figure has the burden of proving a statement is defamatory by clear and convincing evidence that it was both false and made with actual malice (meaning the defendant either knew it was false or made the statement with reckless disregard as to the truth). When statements are made in the public interest (which this arguably is) about a public figure (which Rush definitely is -- and most statements about public figures are in the public interest), this is a tough hurdle to clear.

There are really good policy reasons for this, not least of which is the importance of a vibrant public discourse, which the Supreme Court has held repeatedly to be the bedrock of our nation. But whatever, all y'all can disagree with me, which I'm sure you will.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org