RobCee

Submit K-1 self or use Attorney?

17 posts in this topic

I have a fiancee who is Haitian but has lived temporarily in Dominican Republic for the last 4 years. I am about to fill out and submit the K-1 visa. Is it worth paying an Attorney to get it correct and follow the process or should I just do it myself and save the money? Also, is it better for her to us the US Embassy in Santo Domingo D.R. or would it be best for her to go back and us the US Embassy in Haiti?

If both of you don't have any problem regarding crime or break immigration law, just do it by yourself. Many people on VJ have complained that their lawyer slowing down the process instead. And no guarantee you will be free of RFE since some of members here still got RFE even their case handled by a lawyer.

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

I would suggest doing it yourself if you are comfortable to fill out forms on your own. The whole process is pretty straight forward. I have seen too many posts on here where the attorney just made the whole thing messy. The attorney will make you do everything anyway so you pay for their "services" when you do majority of the work. Its up to her where she wants to be interviewed so its your choice, DR or Haiti.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Unless you have some immigration issues, I believe you could do it without an attorney. Read up, do your research, and pay attention to detail. It worked for us! You can do it! Here's a link in case you haven't already seen it.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Unless you have some immigration issues, I believe you could do it without an attorney. Read up, do your research, and pay attention to detail. It worked for us! You can do it! Here's a link in case you haven't already seen it.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Thanks! No issues both of us have clean histories and no kids. They only issue is they don't go out of their way to help Haitians all that much in the D.R. - the locals work in the US Embassy and no Haitians work there either so they are not inclined to get things done for you.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Thanks! No issues both of us have clean histories and no kids. They only issue is they don't go out of their way to help Haitians all that much in the D.R. - the locals work in the US Embassy and no Haitians work there either so they are not inclined to get things done for you.

I see well I don't know if a lawyer would make that situation any better or not. I think probably not. I would definitely go to the Haitian and DR forums to seek advice. I'm sure folks there can shed some light!

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1tips

Best of Luck!

Edited by LionessDeon

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I used RapidVisa (link in my signature below), which is kinda an in-between. They're not an attorney, but they're a service that prepares and checks your paperwork.

When you pay the fee, you get access to their customer portal. You'll go through the process of filling out several online forms (kinda like filing taxes) which will populate all the paperwork for you. Is very easy to understand and they take all the guesswork out.

If you're nervous, your case is straight forward, and don't want to use a lawyer, I'd highly recommend them.

~ Don't forget to 'Vote Up' useful advice from others ~

K1 Visa Journey [April 11, 2013 - August 31, 2014]
[2014-09-20] !!! WEDDING !!!
[2014-09-22] Applied for SSN
[2014-09-26] Marriage License in Snail Mail
[2014-10-22] Notification of SSC in mail, will arrive "within 2 weeks"
[2014-10-27] SSC Arrived!

2015-04-30] Mailed AOS Package!
[2015-06-16] EAD Approved!
[2015-06-16] AP Approved!
[2015-06-23] EAD/AP Card Received!

[2015-10-02] AOS Approved (No Interview)!

[2015-10-07] Greencard Mailed

[2015-10-09] Approval Notice Recieved

[2015-10-09] Greencard Recieved!

I used RapidVisa for my petition; a paperwork service. A K1 is $375.00 to use their hassle-free online application system.

Useful Links:
Igor's List | Advanced Search Tool | Q&A With a Former USCIS Adjudicator
Visa Status Checker (Once you get a Case # from NVC) | Offical USCIS Reasons for a K1 Denial

The advice offered by this user is not legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain legal advice.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

sometimes I am disappointed when I hire professionals to do a job for me because after reading information online and learning what should be done and what they are not doing I become disappointed and wish I was doing it myself and saving my hard earned money.

If your application is not complicated save your money and spend it on a party and friends.

if you run into trouble you cant get out of hire an attorney.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

I agree with everyone else, we did it without a lawyer in 6 months, my friend had a lawyer and it took them 8 months. Just follow directions, and pay close attention to details. You can do it by yourself. Good luck on your Journey.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I used RapidVisa (link in my signature below), which is kinda an in-between. They're not an attorney, but they're a service that prepares and checks your paperwork.

When you pay the fee, you get access to their customer portal. You'll go through the process of filling out several online forms (kinda like filing taxes) which will populate all the paperwork for you. Is very easy to understand and they take all the guesswork out.

If you're nervous, your case is straight forward, and don't want to use a lawyer, I'd highly recommend them.

I feel I need to expand on this, due to subsequent comments. My case took as long as it did AFTER approval, because we had issues getting paperwork together and my (now) husband dragged his feet as his grandmother was in ill health. He wanted to be present (in Argentina) for her passing. Using the RapidVisa service did not slow me down as you often hear the case from Lawyers. We applied in April, and were approved in the end of August and were some of the first rounds of the TSC transfers from the VSC. It was a very quick approval, all things considered.

~ Don't forget to 'Vote Up' useful advice from others ~

K1 Visa Journey [April 11, 2013 - August 31, 2014]
[2014-09-20] !!! WEDDING !!!
[2014-09-22] Applied for SSN
[2014-09-26] Marriage License in Snail Mail
[2014-10-22] Notification of SSC in mail, will arrive "within 2 weeks"
[2014-10-27] SSC Arrived!

2015-04-30] Mailed AOS Package!
[2015-06-16] EAD Approved!
[2015-06-16] AP Approved!
[2015-06-23] EAD/AP Card Received!

[2015-10-02] AOS Approved (No Interview)!

[2015-10-07] Greencard Mailed

[2015-10-09] Approval Notice Recieved

[2015-10-09] Greencard Recieved!

I used RapidVisa for my petition; a paperwork service. A K1 is $375.00 to use their hassle-free online application system.

Useful Links:
Igor's List | Advanced Search Tool | Q&A With a Former USCIS Adjudicator
Visa Status Checker (Once you get a Case # from NVC) | Offical USCIS Reasons for a K1 Denial

The advice offered by this user is not legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain legal advice.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

I would do it myself because many laywers screw things up and you still have to do all the leg work to answer the form questions and

gather the evidence, the lawyer just basically enters your info from a questionaire to the forms and mails it in. That's like a $2000+ stamp.

Save the money to get an extra trip in.
Front load your petition with quality evidence spanning the entire relationship and with varies modes of communication to show the flow

and progression of the relationship.

Read the guides and if something is unclear ask specific questions.

Hang out in the regional to get the flow of what pattern the embassy is looking for. Some things are embassy specific.

As to DR or Haiti, read the embassy reviews of both and see what's up.

DR is tough, I would go with Haiti which is no cake walk either but perhaps a notch less so.

The petition is easy, the fun starts at the embassy to convince the CO that you are bona fide that's why it is a good idea to front load your petition

for either embassy you mentioned.

Lots of visits and plan on being there when your fiance has the interview.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We did it by ourselves, but with help of a visa company in the Philippines.

But, IF.,., you can follow the instructions on this site, ""perfectly"".,.,.,. and double and triple check "everything you prepare"", then You can do it!

I agree with other posters, lawyers slow things down.,they have hundreds of clients.,.,be "your own client".,.anything you are not sure of, ask your question here!

There are some "brilliant" people here! Some are "just very heavy handed!!!"

Thanks to everyone for your help. I think I will attempt it myself. I may use rapid visa company too. I have already been through some of the process earlier this year. I tried to get here her on a student visa but she was rejected after her interview in Santo Domingo US Embassy because she didn't convince them she was going to return.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Congo DR
Timeline

Do it yourself :ranting::ranting:

I-129F sent:06/06/2014

Package Accepted:06/09/2014

NOA1(EMail & Text):06/12/2014

Hardcopy Received(Mail):06/14/2014

Service Request Submitted:10/30/2014

Alien Registration number changed:11/04/2014

NOA2(Email&Text):12/29/2014

NOA2(Hardcopy Received):12/26/2014

NVC Arrived:1/06/2015

NVC Left:1/21/2015

Sent to the Embassy:1/22/2015

Embassy Received:1/26/2015

Medical Date:01/30/2015

Interview Date :02/18/2015

Visa in Hand:3/11/2015

Marriage Date :04/06/215

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.