We Keep Receipts

This school district lets seniors pose with guns

129 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

You're welcome, but it wasn't meant as an insult, so much as it stemmed from genuine concern. I apologize if it may have not seemed that way.

It was a rhetorical question that I already know the answer to. Thanks for the insult though. That seems to be your speciality.

Edited by JohnR!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

That was my take as well. It seems the other poster was predicating his/her line of thought on assumptions and uneducated guesses, eventually landing so far from the original topic that one can no longer recognize the subject. Like one of those days you leave to get a gallon of milk in the morning, and return home at the end of the day, with a car full or stuff and no milk.

There is chasm of distance between saying that you don't think its a good idea to pose with a gun in a school related photo as if it were a fashion accessory and being against free speech and the right to bear arms.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

That was my take as well. It seems the other poster was predicating his/her line of thought on assumptions and uneducated guesses, eventually landing so far from the original topic that one can no longer recognize the subject. Like one of those days you leave to get a gallon of milk in the morning, and return home at the end of the day, with a car full or stuff and no milk.

It's how many Americans (at least on VJ) seem approach anything political - if you're not in 100% agreement you are the enemy and must be villified.

It could be that posing with a gun in a school photo is a common thing - at least common enough that people to whom guns are part and parcel of everyday life. Personally, and from my own experience of living in the USA, I've never found that to be the case.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

It's how many Americans (at least on VJ) seem approach anything political - if you're not in 100% agreement you are the enemy and must be villified.

I don't believe that to be true. I agree with MBD on some issues and even Cleo (gasp!) on a few.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

It could be that posing with a gun in a school photo is a common thing - at least common enough that people to whom guns are part and parcel of everyday life. Personally, and from my own experience of living in the USA, I've never found that to be the case.

And exactly the same can be said about the foreigners who move to America (at least on VJ) approach anything political - if it's something that you don't understand completely and is different than the culture you were accustomed to in your home country than it must be vilified. Posing with a gun in school is not a big deal in certain parts of the country and just because you live in the USA doesn't mean you have experienced everything. This is a big country.

Edited by Merle

Filed: Other Timeline

Who has vilified the teenagers? The most damming thing that has been suggested is that using a gun as a prop in a school photograph might send out a negative message unless there is a specific school related reason for them doing so (ie, school marksmen champion). If you can't see what negative message might be sent, that's fine, but simply dismiss the idea without thought, well, that sends another message again. :)

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Who has vilified the teenagers? The most damming thing that has been suggested is that using a gun as a prop in a school photograph might send out a negative message unless there is a specific school related reason for them doing so (ie, school marksmen champion). If you can't see what negative message might be sent, that's fine, but simply dismiss the idea without thought, well, that sends another message again. :)

What I think was said is that it's demented and shows inbreeding.

Timeline

I made a remark about inbreeding, in one of my many posts. It was an observation, not a judgment call. Ironically, a remark that outside a private forum is protected by the same document that affords these kids their right to pose for a pix with a gun.

If someone did say that, then I apologize, I didn't read it and such comments are not relevant or helpful to a discussion on the issue.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

I don't believe that to be true. I agree with MBD on some issues and even Cleo (gasp!) on a few.

The odds are fairly good that most people will agree with most other people on at least one thing.

Timeline

And exactly the same can be said about the foreigners who move to America (at least on VJ) approach anything political - if it's something that you don't understand completely and is different than the culture you were accustomed to in your home country than it must be vilified. Posing with a gun in school is not a big deal in certain parts of the country and just because you live in the USA doesn't mean you have experienced everything. This is a big country.

Well you're reaction to the post in question was certainly kneejerk.

As I said, there's nothing about saying you don't agree with using a gun as a fashion accessory for a yearbook photo that justifies the conclusion that they support authoritarian government. That's a complete exaggeration.

Timeline

I believe it is not a common thing, otherwise it would not have made it the local paper. Either that or it must have been a slow news day.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Well you're reaction to the post in question was certainly kneejerk.

As I said, there's nothing about saying you don't agree with using a gun as a fashion accessory for a yearbook photo that justifies the conclusion that they support authoritarian government. That's a complete exaggeration.

My question to JohnR! was not to imply he wants authoritarian government but instead to see what his true view is on guns and the second amendment. If he was somehow able to be King/Dictator/der Fuehrer of this country would he or would he not do away with the second amendment? He never answered but I already know where he stands on the second amendment so the question was just rhetorical.