meauxna

Overseas Resident USCs: Where to File I-130

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

USCIS.gov site instruction for filing I-130

See "Special Instructions"

The Special Instructions have been amended. The instruction in this post no longer applies.

Edited by meauxna

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Does anyone know yet what is happening to those petitions sent in prior to January 26th? Are they also getting sent to the US for processing? Or will they be processed at USCIS Offices abroad? It looks like in Amy's case in Albania, they are getting sent to Vienna...but what about petitions that were filed at USCIS offices? We sent ours to Frankfurt in early December. If it was sent to USCIS then, does that mean it might just be processed there as it normally would have been?

Thanks,

Mary

"Special Instructions for Petitioners Residing Abroad:

Effective January 26, 2007, petitioners abroad must file their petition with a USCIS domestic Service Center. Petitioners filing from abroad are reminded that filing fees must be submitted by check or money order, payable in U.S. funds.

If you reside in: North America, the Caribbean, South America, or Europe, file your I-130 with:

By Mail:

USCIS Vermont Service Center

P.O. Box 500

St. Albans, VT 05479-0001

USA

By Courier:

75 Lower Weldon Street

St. Albans, VT 05479

USA

If you reside in Africa, Asia, Australia or the Pacific, file your I-130 with:

By Mail:

USCIS California Service Center

P.O. Box 10130

Laguna Niguel, CA 92607-1013

USA

By Courier:

2400 Avila Road

Laguna Niguel, CA 92607

USA

Petitioners traveling abroad who actually reside in the United States should file their I-130 petitions with the appropriate USCIS Service Center, according to the filing instructions on the form."

This post has an interesting comment on the topic.

December 11, 2006: I-130 Petition signed for in Frankfurt.

December 21, 2006: Credit Card charged $190.

February 6, 2007: Heard back from Frankfurt. They want proof that our relationship is bonafide.

February 8, 2007: Sent proof (old emails, joint bank account statements, story of how we met)

February 24, 2007: I-130 Approved. Received Packet 3 in the mail.

February 26, 2007: Faxed OF-169 (checklist) to Immigrant Visa Unit in Frankfurt; Mailed back DS-230 Part I

March 2, 2007: Received Packet 4 (Interview Appointment Scheduled)

April 2, 2007: Interview in Frankfurt; Visa Approved!

April 5, 2007: Visa received.

June 27, 2007: POE Boston.

July 23, 2007: Went to local social security office and applied for number in person (although D had checked off the box to receive one on the DS-230).

July 30, 2007: Daniel received his social security number and greencard in the mail.

March 31, 2009: Mailed I-751 to Vermont USCIS

April 2, 2009: I-751 application received (saw this with USPS tracking)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Does anyone know yet what is happening to those petitions sent in prior to January 26th? Are they also getting sent to the US for processing? Or will they be processed at USCIS Offices abroad? It looks like in Amy's case in Albania, they are getting sent to Vienna...but what about petitions that were filed at USCIS offices? We sent ours to Frankfurt in early December. If it was sent to USCIS then, does that mean it might just be processed there as it normally would have been?

Thanks,

Mary

The information from Kiev is that the files that they have are going to Moscow. So if they are consistent then hopefully they are spreading the "pain" and using all available resources rather than bring them all back here.

YMMV

Thanks,

Mary

The information from Kiev is that the files that they have are going to Moscow. So if they are consistent then hopefully they are spreading the "pain" and using all available resources rather than bring them all back here.

Last time I contact Kyiv was on thursday, and the only thing they told me was they were going to wait a few days for instructions then send to Moscow. Question to you, if you heard more than that, such as what process will it undergo in Moscow. Will they have to assign number, background check, then send to NVC, wait for reply from NVC, send in I-864 fees to NVC,........ or are they just going to send to Moscow, perform background check then send back to Kyiv?

We will be very fortunate if they just do background check then send back, it should only delay us a little. Its a good law and agree with it 100%, just mishandled. But time to move foward from that. I am planning to contact them again Monday to check status of our petition. It was already approved on the 23rd, we were just sitting first in-line to get interview, now we hear it is going to be thrown in a box with everyone elses. Hope they keep some kind of order of reciept. Thanks in advance for any info. John

11/10/06 - Married in Ukraine

11/14/06 - I-130 Petition filed and approved

12/08/06 - First interview - we cancelled - shot ourselves in the foot for this!!!!

01/23/07 - 2nd Interview was cancelled due to Adam Walsh Act

02/13/07 - Sonya recieved her 5 year B-2 Tourist Visa

02/21/07 - Sonya arrives in America

02/26/07 - We are told of new interview on 3/8, but she is in america

03/08/07 - Cancelled interview, Sonya is in America

04/16/07 - Fly back to Ukraine

04/25/07 - FINALLY!!!! LOL Interview and VISA approved!!!

04/27/07 - VISA delay due to Sonya's name misspelling - Embassy typo in database

05/02/07 - Called DOS Washington - name check cleared for Sonya - but

told us no VISA was approved for daughter

05/03/07 - Embassy says VISA printed 5/2, but we caught that they forgot VISA for daughter

and the courier entered wrong address to mail VISA - SO MANY TYPO's & MISTAKES :(

05/08/07 - VISA YEAH!!!! FINALLY!

05/23/07 - Back to America - Well almost - Airlines messed up and sent daughters ticket to Chicago

05/30/07 - They finally made it!!! :)

07/03/07 - Green cards recieved

07/06/07 - Applied for SS card at local office, DS-230 application lost

2/19/2010 - Everything is great!!! We now live in South Carolina - Sonya has applied for her citizenship!! She attends USC for her BSN. Her mother has made 3 trips to US.

Mary,

I sent in my I-130 to the Rome District USCIS Office on the 17th of Jan.

I called on the 26th and they said that there would be no change in our process,

(mind you that our petition has nt even been approved yet.)

Why or How? Not sure. Sorry.

Breezy

Jan 17 2007.......I-130 arrived at Rome Embassy

Feb 23 2007.......I-130 approved

Mar 05 2007.......Naples recieved I-130 from Rome

Mar 21 2007.......NOA recieved from Rome by Fax

Mar 28 2007.......Interview Appt Date set for 8th May

May 08 2007.......Visa Approved, also our Wedding Ann!

fwaguy, John, and Breezy,

It's reassuring to hear that the USCIS Offices in Moscow and Rome can still process I-130s that have already been filed. I'm hoping that's the same thing for Frankfurt. I tried emailing them last week, but so far no response.

Thanks so much for the information...and good luck to all of you!

Mary

Mary,

I called on the 26th and they said that there would be no change in our process,

Breezy

February 6, 2007: Heard back from Frankfurt. They want proof that our relationship is bonafide.

February 8, 2007: Sent proof (old emails, joint bank account statements, story of how we met)

February 26, 2007: Faxed OF-169 (checklist) to Immigrant Visa Unit in Frankfurt; Mailed back DS-230 Part I

July 23, 2007: Went to local social security office and applied for number in person (although D had checked off the box to receive one on the DS-230).

July 30, 2007: Daniel received his social security number and greencard in the mail.

It's reassuring to hear that the USCIS Offices in Moscow and Rome can still process I-130s that have already been filed. I'm hoping that's the same thing for Frankfurt. I tried emailing them last week, but so far no response.

Mary

Mary,

Breezy

Frankfurt should be the same, but keep trying the embassy next week. I feel we will all get our answers to whats going on with already approved I-130's next week. Let us know what you hear.

11/10/06 - Married in Ukraine

11/14/06 - I-130 Petition filed and approved

12/08/06 - First interview - we cancelled - shot ourselves in the foot for this!!!!

01/23/07 - 2nd Interview was cancelled due to Adam Walsh Act

02/13/07 - Sonya recieved her 5 year B-2 Tourist Visa

02/21/07 - Sonya arrives in America

02/26/07 - We are told of new interview on 3/8, but she is in america

03/08/07 - Cancelled interview, Sonya is in America

04/16/07 - Fly back to Ukraine

04/25/07 - FINALLY!!!! LOL Interview and VISA approved!!!

04/27/07 - VISA delay due to Sonya's name misspelling - Embassy typo in database

05/02/07 - Called DOS Washington - name check cleared for Sonya - but

told us no VISA was approved for daughter

05/03/07 - Embassy says VISA printed 5/2, but we caught that they forgot VISA for daughter

and the courier entered wrong address to mail VISA - SO MANY TYPO's & MISTAKES :(

05/08/07 - VISA YEAH!!!! FINALLY!

05/23/07 - Back to America - Well almost - Airlines messed up and sent daughters ticket to Chicago

05/30/07 - They finally made it!!! :)

07/03/07 - Green cards recieved

07/06/07 - Applied for SS card at local office, DS-230 application lost

2/19/2010 - Everything is great!!! We now live in South Carolina - Sonya has applied for her citizenship!! She attends USC for her BSN. Her mother has made 3 trips to US.

Good news for us: I heard back from USCIS in Frankfurt today. They said because we had already filed our petition, the changes should not affect us. I still can't help feeling badly, though, for everyone who'd planned on filing petitions abroad through DCF.

Mary

Mary,

Breezy

Frankfurt should be the same, but keep trying the embassy next week. I feel we will all get our answers to whats going on with already approved I-130's next week. Let us know what you hear.

Good news for us: I heard back from USCIS in Frankfurt today. They said because we had already filed our petition, the changes should not affect us. I still can't help feeling badly, though, for everyone who'd planned on filing petitions abroad through DCF.

Mary

Mary,

Breezy

Just womdering,

So, this did not affect you because of the PLACE you filed or becuase of the DATE you filed?

According to the email I received from Frankfurt, it's because of the date. From meauxna's post, it doesn't look like people are allowed anymore to file the I-130 at USCIS Offices in Europe. I'm not sure why this is the case. But it does look like USCIS Offices in Europe are allowed the process I-130s that were filed prior to Condoleeza Rice's memo last week.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Thanks Meauxna :thumbs:

"Special Instructions for Petitioners Residing Abroad:

Effective January 26, 2007, petitioners abroad must file their petition with a USCIS domestic Service Center. Petitioners filing from abroad are reminded that filing fees must be submitted by check or money order, payable in U.S. funds.

If you reside in: North America, the Caribbean, South America, or Europe, file your I-130 with:

By Mail:

P.O. Box 500

St. Albans, VT 05479-0001

USA

By Courier:

75 Lower Weldon Street

St. Albans, VT 05479

USA

If you reside in Africa, Asia, Australia or the Pacific, file your I-130 with:

By Mail:

P.O. Box 10130

Laguna Niguel, CA 92607-1013

USA

By Courier:

2400 Avila Road

Laguna Niguel, CA 92607

USA

Petitioners traveling abroad who actually reside in the United States should file their I-130 petitions with the appropriate USCIS Service Center, according to the filing instructions on the form."

This post has an interesting comment on the topic.

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline

I just got this email yesterday:

Hello,

if you are a permanent resident in Germany you are welcome to file the I-130

with us.

Sincerely

Tatiana Munser-Harris

Immigration Assistant

____________________Reply Separator____________________

Subject: Filing Question

Author: <SMTP:starfish324@§§§§.com>

Date: 1/26/2007 2:40 AM

Good Morning,

I read that it is no longer possible to file the 1-130 directly with the

consulate in Frankfurt. It is still possible to file with your office in

Germany

though if I have German permanant residency, correct?

Thank you

Edited by Wacken

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The instructions in the original post have been taken down from uscis.gov as of today.

Don't anyone dare ask where they are supposed to file an I-130 today---who knows?! Proceed at your own risk :lol:

Edited by meauxna

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Moldova
Timeline
The instructions in the original post have been taken down from uscis.gov as of today.

Don't anyone dare ask where they are supposed to file an I-130 today---who knows?! Proceed at your own risk :lol:

The official word at least regarding former soviet union and european countries is the following.

There is discussion currently going on between Department of State and USCIS regarding how and if Consular sections will continue to accept I-130 petions. These discussions are taking high priority and a decision is expected very soon.

People are being told if there is no USCIS office in your country then hold on to your petition for just a little longer. Or you can file with a USCIS office in the USA.

A decision has been highly expected to be given this week. But where this week is comming to a close it might be next week. Anyways considering how much faster an overseas office processes these in comparison to a stateside office I would just be patient for another week and wait to see what the operational decision is going to be.

The official word at least regarding former soviet union and european countries is the following.

There is discussion currently going on between Department of State and USCIS regarding how and if Consular sections will continue to accept I-130 petions. These discussions are taking high priority and a decision is expected very soon.

People are being told if there is no USCIS office in your country then hold on to your petition for just a little longer. Or you can file with a USCIS office in the USA.

A decision has been highly expected to be given this week. But where this week is comming to a close it might be next week. Anyways considering how much faster an overseas office processes these in comparison to a stateside office I would just be patient for another week and wait to see what the operational decision is going to be.

Where are you getting your info from? My embassy (Tokyo) is still saying to send the I-130 to USCIS in California. I've already sent mine in, and am hoping that after approval USCIS will send it back to my embassy.

emblem_top2.gifusaflag.gif

Timeline:

01/31/07 - I-130 fedexed to California

02/01/07 - I-130 received by USCIS California

02/13/07 - received NOA1

04/10/07 - Petition approved (64 days)

04/17/07 - Received NOA2, petition on it's way to NVC

05/07/07 - Still nothing from NVC (those bums!)

----------

04/05/07 - Re-filed I-130 at Tokyo embassy with no problems! (didn't need to canx first petition)

04/12/07 - Petition at embassy is approved (7 days!)

04/16/07 - Received notice of approval from embassy, submitted interview request

04/17/07 - Received notice of interview, which will be May 7

05/07/07 - Had interview at embassy, visa approved!

05/08/07 - Passport with visa delivered!!!!

Dang, the Tokyo embassy is fast!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.