Sylea

Canadian Employment Insurance question

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi fellow Canuckians!! - I understand I have 4 weeks after leaving my employment to put in my application for EI.

My last day of work is Dec 19th, this is when my ROE will be filed. My boss thinks it takes 4-5 days for the ROE to show up on Service Canada's website.

I will be enroute to my POE on Xmas day. Will there be any issue for me to apply for EI once I'm stateside?? Or do I need to make sure my application is put online from Canada?

I'm never sure if government websites check IP addresses and their origination point.

I also would like to know if VJ has a step by step for the EI process?? Seems it might be a good thing to create??

Thanks to all.

Peace.

:luv:

If you head over to the Canada forum, there is a sticky post on EI. You might get more answers there. ( I am a Canadian, in sheep's clothing ;)

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/8-the-canuck-ei-thread/

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Country-specific thread moved from CR-1 Process forum to the Canada regional forum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The EI Thread is really informative, but there are 80 pages or so and not a lot of clear lists of what to do. These were some of the notes I found through that thread:

• When you quit your job in Canada, be sure to tell your employer you are quitting b/c you are moving to get married; so your r.o.e.., will reflect that (If they don't seems to not be issue though)
  • The Canadian must apply within 4 weeks of ending employment, be willing, able, and legally to work in the states (Last day worked, not date of final pay cheque)
  • Wait to apply until in the States, and then apply for EI online if possible. Otherwise you have to get the case transferred
  • Write Yes for capable to work, but maybe explain if there is somewhere to do that. You cannot work until EAD
  • For the EI benefit type, select regular since you just relocated to US
  • Sign up at Service canada so you can keep track of the dates and payments on line -- it's very handy
  • If you can't log into My service Canada account may be because when they ask you the question of you SIN, DOB, access code and where you're located, if you're outside Canada you need to put down Ontario.
  • The 25% tax is automatically deducted.
  • You have to prove you are legally allowed to work in the USA. The day you have EAD and SSN call EI and fax those documents to the EI office that handles US residents only.
  • US work < 30 hrs still gets topped up with EI.
  • There is a 2 week wait period to get EI once everything is in. Expect first cheque 2 weeks after EAD is sent

Note there are some items on my list that are K-1 specific, for spouse visa you don't need to wait for an EAD as you are eligible for work right away.

I also haven't actually done any of this yet, but hopefully others that have will give some advice too.

--------------------------

K-1 Visa Timeline

04/21/2014: Submitted I-129F

05/29/2014: NOA2 via email

01/20/2015: Visa Received

03/15/2015: POE

04/01/2015: Married!! (L)

04/11/2015: Submitted AOS / EAD / AP

10/09/2015: Green Card Approved

07/20/2017: Submitted I-751 ROC

07/27/2017: NOA1 Received

10/14/2017: Biometrics Waived

10/27/2018: ROC Approved

I applied within Canada using my US address at a Canada service centre. But you won't be moving for a bit so you may need extra work on yours.

However if possible wait the 4 weeks to apply, and then can you drive to the border, POE and then not move until Dec?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

She should be fine..last day of work is DEc 19th...and moving a few days later..One can apply from the USA....

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

so even with spousal visa (CR1) you tell the employer that the reason is to get married? just wondering since my employer already knows I am married :/

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

July 17th 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

July 30th 2014 - Case received by NVC

August 13th 2014 - Case number and IIN received by email

August 13th 2014 - DS-261 Form Completed

August 14th 2014 - AOS Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 17th 2014 - IV Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 19th 2014 - DS260 Completed

October 6th 2014 - AOS and IV Packages Received

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 8th 2014 - Checklist scan date.

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

March 27 2015 - Interview Date

March 27 2015 - Approved!

Timeline

She should be fine..last day of work is DEc 19th...and moving a few days later..One can apply from the USA....

Thanks, yes, that was really my question, whether I could just wait and apply online once I'm stateside.

I really can't do it any sooner than that. And I figure I have till approx January 15th to apply (not that I'll wait that long).

If you head over to the Canada forum, there is a sticky post on EI. You might get more answers there. ( I am a Canadian, in sheep's clothing ;)

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/8-the-canuck-ei-thread/

Thanks yes I'd been following that thread but there really wasn't a series of steps, more just a whole series of differing questions. But thanks!

The EI Thread is really informative, but there are 80 pages or so and not a lot of clear lists of what to do. These were some of the notes I found through that thread:

• When you quit your job in Canada, be sure to tell your employer you are quitting b/c you are moving to get married; so your r.o.e.., will reflect that (If they don't seems to not be issue though)
  • The Canadian must apply within 4 weeks of ending employment, be willing, able, and legally to work in the states (Last day worked, not date of final pay cheque)
  • Wait to apply until in the States, and then apply for EI online if possible. Otherwise you have to get the case transferred
  • Write Yes for capable to work, but maybe explain if there is somewhere to do that. You cannot work until EAD
  • For the EI benefit type, select regular since you just relocated to US
  • Sign up at Service canada so you can keep track of the dates and payments on line -- it's very handy
  • If you can't log into My service Canada account may be because when they ask you the question of you SIN, DOB, access code and where you're located, if you're outside Canada you need to put down Ontario.
  • The 25% tax is automatically deducted.
  • You have to prove you are legally allowed to work in the USA. The day you have EAD and SSN call EI and fax those documents to the EI office that handles US residents only.
  • US work < 30 hrs still gets topped up with EI.
  • There is a 2 week wait period to get EI once everything is in. Expect first cheque 2 weeks after EAD is sent

Note there are some items on my list that are K-1 specific, for spouse visa you don't need to wait for an EAD as you are eligible for work right away.

I also haven't actually done any of this yet, but hopefully others that have will give some advice too.

This is excellent, thanks. This is kind of what I was looking for. The EI thread itself is full of various questions and answers, we could almost use a Wiki just around the process for Canadians.

Timeline

I applied within Canada using my US address at a Canada service centre. But you won't be moving for a bit so you may need extra work on yours.

However if possible wait the 4 weeks to apply, and then can you drive to the border, POE and then not move until Dec?

Thanks NLR - I assume I'll apply online once I'm in the US, and use my US address. I won't be near a Service Canada office between December 19th and the 25th when I fly out to Michigan. I'll wait and apply after Xmas and I've had time to breathe. LOL

This whole thing is getting more and more surreal.........

Peace.

Timeline

so even with spousal visa (CR1) you tell the employer that the reason is to get married? just wondering since my employer already knows I am married :/

Has nothing to do with ur employer knowing.....its a valid reason to get EI..moving to the USA to be with spouse.....And as a CR-1.....you have work authorization right away..so can collect EI right away once you move to the USA **if u have enough qualifying hours****

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah, sorry my list was from a K-1 perspective, so I noted that because moving on a spouse visa you don't do the whole EAD thing for work like K-1's do.

I saw some posts in the forum thread about asking for the ROE employment stating that... so I noted it.. then in the same thread others say their employers would not write that they moved for spouse or to marry and they were fine too. I just decided to keep that one noted for myself.

I am not quite there yet in my process, but I plan to attempt calling EI with my list of questions. Some other things I noted from the EI thread is:

US (Out of Country) Phone: 1-877-486-1650
Working Reports Fax: 613-545-8934
USA Work authorization questionaire Fax 1-613-545-8934
Info on Interstate EI:
Canadian Phone 613-536-4987

K-1 Visa Timeline

04/21/2014: Submitted I-129F

05/29/2014: NOA2 via email

01/20/2015: Visa Received

03/15/2015: POE

04/01/2015: Married!! (L)

04/11/2015: Submitted AOS / EAD / AP

10/09/2015: Green Card Approved

07/20/2017: Submitted I-751 ROC

07/27/2017: NOA1 Received

10/14/2017: Biometrics Waived

10/27/2018: ROC Approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.