djturbo

Twins coming, need mother in law

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

It would be a big no-no for your mother-in-law to come as a tourist and then to help look after the new babies. This is seen as work that could be done for pay by a citizen and, as such, is illegal for her to perform. If she were to arrive at the POE and say this is what she's doing, she would quite possibly be denied entry.

Millions of "grand-mothers" help take care of new born babies and I would bet not a one of them are considered "employees".

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Again, I think it all depends on how she comes across in her application and interactions with USEM and POE personnel. Is she there to see the sights there in Texas, etc and see her beloved new grandchildren? It all depends on how she comes across. Either way, she definitely shouldn't overstay. Anything like that could kill her chances of her coming over in the future when the wife becomes USC. While following the law/rules can only help her in the future.

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

"Audentes Fortuna Adiuvat"

==========

Dec 11, 2014 - Filed I-130 via DCF @ US Embassy Manila (...and we're on the clock...) - Read about my experience filing DCF here > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/527064-filed-dcf-i-130-for-ir-1-at-us-embassy-manila-aar/

Dec 11, 2014 - NOA1: Not sure what to put here, Dec 11, 2014, Dec 24, 2014 or something in between.

Dec 24, 2014 - NOA2: I called USCIS @ USEM on Jan 5, 2015 and was told the I-130 was approved on Christmas Eve. Thank you Santa!

Jan 13, 2015 - MNL Case Number & Packet 3 Received via email (I emailed the IV Unit-Manila requesting these on Jan 5, 2015 and Jan 12, 2015)

Jan 21, 2015 - NOA2: Mailed (via PhilPost!) paper/hard copy delivered to our place here in Manila.

Jan 22, 2015 - Packet 3: Mailed (again via PhilPost!) paper/hard copy delivered to out place here in Manila.

Feb 24 & 25, 2015 - Day 1 & Day 2 of Medical @ SLEC. Immunizations given on Day 2, thankfully

Mar 5, 2015 - USEM Interview Appointment - IR-1 Visa Approved! (CEAC Status updated to ISSUED afternoon of interview day)

Mar 10, 2015 - 3pm - Received SMS saying IV Package ready for pickup at 2GO MoA. Picked up at 5pm. (Shipped/Picked Up/In Hand on 3rd Business Day post interview)

Mar 13, 2015 - CFO Manila - Done

==========

Now disposing/selling/giving away/shipping to the US stuff from 14 years in the PHL and 4 years together before heading to POE.

My mother-in-law applied and was granted a tourist visa last year to be able to come and visit us (my wife at the time was still a LPR). Just make sure that she states that she is coming to USA for a visit, and that she has valid reasons to return to philippines.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Millions of "grand-mothers" help take care of new born babies and I would bet not a one of them are considered "employees".

Under immigration rules they are.

While on a tourist visa you may not undertake any activity, paid or unpaid which could be done by a US Citizen for pay.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ya right....... grandma watching the kids fits that like a glove (NOT)....I am sure all new parents PAY grandmas to watch the grandkids.

Time to cash that reality check.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Ya right....... grandma watching the kids fits that like a glove (NOT)....I am sure all new parents PAY grandmas to watch the grandkids.

Time for you to come out of your cave :rolleyes:

http://moldova.usembassy.gov/visitor-visa.html

In the United States Foreign nationals in the United States on B-2 status are allowed to visit family and friends and travel throughout the United States. However, as tourists, they are not allowed to engage in any skilled or unskilled labor. This means that they may not perform any sort of activity for which an American resident would be paid. This could include working at a construction site, helping out at a friend or relative's place of business, or even babysitting a relative's children. A foreign national on B-2 classification who engages in any of these activities may have a difficult time qualifying for a tourist (or any other type of visa) in the future.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

.... hey whatever. Still going to stay with grandma and grandkids.

If you do a search on her, you will find many, many threads on this subject.

On the other hand, suit yourself.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

No, but they would pay for childcare for someone to look after their kids if there's no grandma about.

It doesn't matter if you agree or not, them's the rules and the penalties can be harsh for breaking them.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

I agree this is a gray area. I think it depends on the length of the stay and the other purposes of the visit. I know there were times when I shipped the kids off to the grandparents or the grandparents came to stay for a week or two and watched the kids. This wasn't meant to avoid paying for childcare, it was time for them to spend together. On the other hand when my ex sent them to live with my parents for six months that was an attempt to avoid paying childcare and other responsibilities.

If mom comes to spend a few weeks watching the twins because she wants to bond with them I don't think this would be a problem. Enrolling them in childcare after that would prove she was not a "babysitter" stealing jobs from potential US employees.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

OP was pretty clear that they need child care as they both work.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

K Boiler got you. I was just clarifying for all the other statements and posts that refer to grandma coming because a child is being born.

It is pretty clear that in this specific post the OP is looking for her mom to come here for a long-term babysitting arrangement which would be illegal on a tourist visa. I suggest they start looking for a nanny or a daycare for the children.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

My Grandmother looked after me for my first 6 months. Actually I went to her. I have no issues with the concept just want to make sure the OP understands the issues involved and can act accordingly.

Sounds like she does not have much at home needing her return if she can decamp for so long and is coming from a culture where this is normal practice seemingly.

The same thing of course goes for sisters, cousins etc. All have come up.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.