Mia77

How to get health insurance for my parents

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi all,
I just sponsored my parents for green card. I filed I-495 and I-130 concurrently. I tried to apply for health insurance for them through market place today. (on Maryland Health Connection site).
https://www.healthcare.gov/immigrants/immigration-status/ states that applicants to adjustment for permanent residency are illegible to apply. However, when I called them they said that my parents must to have social security number to apply. Without it, their software won't be able to process the application. Any thoughts on this?
They will have SSN only when they get work permit what will happen only in several month. My parents are 75 years old, I am very anxious how they can live without health insurance for so long time.

I don't think they would qualify for subsidized coverage if they aren't LPR's yet. If they don't qualify for subsidized coverage, you would have to pay full price for the premiums. You can get the SSN as soon as they have the EAD, but I don't know if all companies require an SSN in order to provide insurance.

This does not constitute legal advice.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from Bringing Family Members of US Citizens to America to Moving to the US and Your New Life in America Forum~

~Similar topics are often discussed at this forum~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Post edited to remove e-mail address and returned to thread, as follows:

I am a licensed agent in FL, but the rules in this situation are the same regardless of the State.

The sad problem you face is that your parents will not ever be eligible for Obama Care. It doesn't matter whether they have their Social Security number or not, and actually they couldn't apply under the "MOVE" rule until they landed in the US anyway. The problem and reason they will never be eligible for Obama Care is their age. Obama Care is for people under the age of 65. Once a person reaches age 65, they cannot purchase health insurance in the US. They would only have Medicare as a possible insurance; however, they are not likely to ever be eligible for that either.

I am not being a pessimist, I am just stating the facts. In order to qualify for Medicare, they would have needed to work and pay into Social Security for 40 work Quarters (ten years). This obviously isn't going to happen, with them first arriving in the US at age 75.

The only thing you can do is purchase Medicare for them. Once they have legal residency here in the states, I'm fairly certain they can purchase Medicare Parts A, B, and D. A covers Hospital, B covers everything else except prescription drugs, and D covers prescription drugs. A is fairly expensive, with the current price somewhere around $450/month. B costs $105/month. Part D plans cost around $50/month.

I've run into this sad situation, when trying to help people whose parents came here after age 65. If a single parent came here over age 65, and married an American who earned Social Security, then they would automatically qualify for Medicare (without ever having worked here). Other than that, or buying the various parts of Medicare, there really isn't any answer to how they can be protected for hospital and medical expenses.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

Second Chance, on 20 Oct 2014 - 10:14 PM, said:snapback.png

I am a licensed agent in FL, but the rules in this situation are the same regardless of the State.

The sad problem you face is that your parents will not ever be eligible for Obama Care. It doesn't matter whether they have their Social Security number or not, and actually they couldn't apply under the "MOVE" rule until they landed in the US anyway. The problem and reason they will never be eligible for Obama Care is their age. Obama Care is for people under the age of 65. Once a person reaches age 65, they cannot purchase health insurance in the US. They would only have Medicare as a possible insurance; however, they are not likely to ever be eligible for that either.

I am not being a pessimist, I am just stating the facts. In order to qualify for Medicare, they would have needed to work and pay into Social Security for 40 work Quarters (ten years). This obviously isn't going to happen, with them first arriving in the US at age 75.

The only thing you can do is purchase Medicare for them. Once they have legal residency here in the states, I'm fairly certain they can purchase Medicare Parts A, B, and D. A covers Hospital, B covers everything else except prescription drugs, and D covers prescription drugs. A is fairly expensive, with the current price somewhere around $450/month. B costs $105/month. Part D plans cost around $50/month.

I've run into this sad situation, when trying to help people whose parents came here after age 65. If a single parent came here over age 65, and married an American who earned Social Security, then they would automatically qualify for Medicare (without ever having worked here). Other than that, or buying the various parts of Medicare, there really isn't any answer to how they can be protected for hospital and medical expenses.

I can't speak for Florida but my father in law was 66 and covered last year. In Colorado anyone over 65 who doesn't qualify for medicare is eligible to get a subsidized health plan on the Colorado exchange.

There's no law that people over 65 can't purchase health care, just that the plans become limited. In the past (before the ACA) there were no plans. Now there are definitely plans out there.

Healthcare.gov also confirms this is possible.

https://www.healthcare.gov/retirees/

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Timeline

Second Chance, on 20 Oct 2014 - 10:14 PM, said:snapback.png

I can't speak for Florida but my father in law was 66 and covered last year. In Colorado anyone over 65 who doesn't qualify for medicare is eligible to get a subsidized health plan on the Colorado exchange.

There's no law that people over 65 can't purchase health care, just that the plans become limited. In the past (before the ACA) there were no plans. Now there are definitely plans out there.

Healthcare.gov also confirms this is possible.

https://www.healthcare.gov/retirees/

Thank you for confirming this!

Edited by Mia77

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

You can also purchase traveler's insurance for them while you're waiting 6-8 weeks until their SSN comes in.

http://www.visitorscoverage.com/

http://www.travelinsure.com/what/vusahigh.asp

http://www.atlasamericainsurance.com/

You can pick a short term plan that works for you and you can renew, if necessary. It's not as good as regular health insurance, but for the short term, it works!

I got this for my husband when he came to the US and he still has it. It's worked well for us even with having needed some extensive dental work!

Edited by d3adc0d3

~ Don't forget to 'Vote Up' useful advice from others ~

K1 Visa Journey [April 11, 2013 - August 31, 2014]
[2014-09-20] !!! WEDDING !!!
[2014-09-22] Applied for SSN
[2014-09-26] Marriage License in Snail Mail
[2014-10-22] Notification of SSC in mail, will arrive "within 2 weeks"
[2014-10-27] SSC Arrived!

2015-04-30] Mailed AOS Package!
[2015-06-16] EAD Approved!
[2015-06-16] AP Approved!
[2015-06-23] EAD/AP Card Received!

[2015-10-02] AOS Approved (No Interview)!

[2015-10-07] Greencard Mailed

[2015-10-09] Approval Notice Recieved

[2015-10-09] Greencard Recieved!

I used RapidVisa for my petition; a paperwork service. A K1 is $375.00 to use their hassle-free online application system.

Useful Links:
Igor's List | Advanced Search Tool | Q&A With a Former USCIS Adjudicator
Visa Status Checker (Once you get a Case # from NVC) | Offical USCIS Reasons for a K1 Denial

The advice offered by this user is not legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain legal advice.

Timeline

Thank you. I am going to appeal their decision but if this doesn't work I will buy traveler's insurance for them.

SSN isn't a requirement for the Maryland Health Connection site - ( bottom of this link on their own site)

http://marylandhealthconnection.gov/health-coverage-resources/enrollment-guide/

• 1 year later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Please see this post, I was able to get health insurance through Obamacare for my parents

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/582733-success-getting-healthcare-coverage-for-immigrant-parents-over-65/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.