UncleBeer

CDC Spent 3 Times as Much on "Community Transformation" Than On... Disease Control

130 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

It hasn't spread out of the hospital which means he was correct not to shut down the city or whatever. I should also point out no other infected patients have flown to the states.

Tech1 issue should be investigated and if necessary the process/person should be corrected.

This whole thing is like being afraid of a bear attack when going camping despite the very very very real danger of being killed driving to the campground, which is completely ignored.

Your missing the point entirely. It's no big deal now, I agree. It has the potential to be a VERY big deal.

Your analogy is way off BTW. People don't come in to contact with bears on a dialy basis. They do come in contact with other people.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Yeah I would've agreed 100% with the above two weeks ago. Now that two nurses have tested positive and someone gave the ok for one of them to get a plane, I'm not as trusting as you seem to be.

i don't know for sure, but it seems like a typical call center. i wouldn't be surprised if you call the cdc and you end up talking to someone in india or mexico.

the error in giving her the okay to fly is only one error out of a handful when this thing started.in my opinion the hospital is more at fault than anything else for the intial mishandling.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Your missing the point entirely. It's no big deal now, I agree. It has the potential to be a VERY big deal.

Your analogy is way off BTW. People don't come in to contact with bears on a dialy basis. They do come in contact with other people.

My point is that people are more scared of this than they should be. Mostly based on the fact that its new and scary. The health concerns that this level of focus and outrage should be directed towards is cancer and heart disease. Because they are the most likely to kill you.

Timeline

So 2 dead is greater than 36,000 dead?

Now you're just being silly. Does Influenza have a 50-60% mortality rate?

And there are flu shots and most people aren't terrified by the thought of getting the flu. I know I'd rather take my chances with the flu than Ebola.

Yeah exactly. I have had the flu multiple times over my lifetime, and survived just fine. However, I doubt the same can be said for people infected with the Ebola virus.

My point is that people are more scared of this than they should be. Mostly based on the fact that its new and scary. The health concerns that this level of focus and outrage should be directed towards is cancer and heart disease. Because they are the most likely to kill you.

I agree with that to a point. However, cancer and heart disease are not contagious. More apples and oranges.

And there are flu shots and most people aren't terrified by the thought of getting the flu. I know I'd rather take my chances with the flu than Ebola.

That's exactly my point. With all this hysteria over 2 dead, you would think 36,000 dead would have people running for the hills. The panic over Ebola is entirely over inflated.

Not silly at all. We easily accept 36,000 fatalities by the flu virus every year, but go nuts over 2 dead from Ebola. It's not logical no matter what the mortality rate is. You are more likely to die from the flu.

Edited by Teddy B

Yeah exactly. I have had the flu multiple times over my lifetime, and survived just fine. However, I doubt the same can be said for people infected with the Ebola virus.

I have a feeling that if there were as many Ebola cases as there were flu cases the death toll would stagger the imagination. Not to mention that it would be impossible to treat more than a fraction of the cases. How many people get the flu each year, millions?

Not silly at all. We easily accept 36,000 fatalities by the flu virus every year, but go nuts over 2 dead from Ebola. It's not logical no matter what the mortality rate is. You are more likely to die from the flu.

2 people infected, 2 dead. A few million cases like the flu, do the math. If there is an outbreak of Ebola to rival the flu it would be devastating.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Timeline

I agree with that to a point. However, cancer and heart disease are not contagious. More apples and oranges.

Well it not even near the top of the charts for contagious disease that kills people. Nor is it "that" contagious. Airborne contagions are the real scary thing. But I'm not saying Ebola should be ignored. But i don't think it merits locking down the country or whatever.

2 people infected, 2 dead. A few million cases like the flu, do the math. If there is an outbreak of Ebola to rival the flu it would be devastating.

Not true. There are at least 4 that were infected that have recovered.

But I'm not saying Ebola should be ignored. But i don't think it merits locking down the country or whatever.

agreed.

i've been hearing about ebola and the need for research ($$$$$$$$$$$$$) all summer long on npr. but it's just now, that we have concern for ebola in the us. a month ago we'd all be yammering about isis. hey..what happened to isis???

Not true. There are at least 4 that were infected that have recovered.

How many people have gotten it worldwide and how many have died vs those who have recovered? All I'm saying if it was like the average flu outbreak each years there would be hundreds of thousands dead. And treating a few million people for Ebola isn't even a remote fantasy. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but if it did, it would make the flu like the common cold.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Timeline

When catching the flu means you have a greater than even chance of dying, get back to me. You're equating the flu with a disease that kills over half the people who are infected. The flu has a mortality rate of .5%.

Source: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/flu.htm

Probably the vast majority of those are really young people, really old people, or those with other illnesses.

Well it not even near the top of the charts for contagious disease that kills people. Nor is it "that" contagious. Airborne contagions are the real scary thing. But I'm not saying Ebola should be ignored. But i don't think it merits locking down the country or whatever.

When it gets to Kentucky, you might change your mind.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Timeline

The death toll of Ebola is more representative of the state of health care services in Africa than the deadliness of the virus IMO.

When it gets to Kentucky, you might change your mind.

Maybe. I really don't know what I'm talking about because I don't know anything about virology.