maghfira

Can somebody please explain to me what this letter means?

61 posts in this topic

Call the court clerk and inform them you are not a US citizen and are therefore ineligible to serve on a jury. You should do this right now.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Country: France
Timeline

I work in the court system. (Prosecutors) Trust me. Unless you want to take a chance at a bench warrant being issued for contempt of court you should appear IN PERSON at the proper place at the proper time with the letter in hand as well as your LPR card and other identification. I would NEVER trust calling the court and hoping that the person I talked to really took proper action to see that I was in fact excused. I would go IN PERSON. The court clerk will want to see your green card and probably at least one other ID (drivers license?) I would also bring my passport along just in case. You can never be too careful. Specially when you have an ROC pending. Be safe. And don't forget to get your jury duty fee for appearing as ordered.

big thanks to you DAVID and Zoila , this is what i'm thinking about, if i just make a call, they may note later in the date/time i have in the letter that i didn't show up and this probably will affect my ROC process, better to show up and let them know in PERSON

Timeline

I work in the court system. (Prosecutors) Trust me. Unless you want to take a chance at a bench warrant being issued for contempt of court you should appear IN PERSON at the proper place at the proper time with the letter in hand as well as your LPR card and other identification. I would NEVER trust calling the court and hoping that the person I talked to really took proper action to see that I was in fact excused. I would go IN PERSON. The court clerk will want to see your green card and probably at least one other ID (drivers license?) I would also bring my passport along just in case. You can never be too careful. Specially when you have an ROC pending. Be safe. And don't forget to get your jury duty fee for appearing as ordered.

I trust you, do you think when i will show up in court and i will get excuse from serving this service, do i will get any letter or proof of being excused from jury duty? proof stating i showed up and i'm not eligible for this service? i want to be safe , and not be arrested or fined by mistake one day

your assistance is greatly appreciated

Bring the letter they sent you, your green card, and print off from the California website stating only USC can be jurors. You dont need any other letters. When you show up that day they may give you a note saying you're excused. My husband got one after being called for jury duty and being excused but that was here in Colorado.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

I see there is a form (questionnaire) with the letter, The form had a line item, Are You a Citizen, i can Check No and send it back. or do i have just to keep the form and the letter until i show up in the court in the end of September?

Edited by maghfira

I trust you, do you think when i will show up in court and i will get excuse from serving this service, do i will get any letter or proof of being excused from jury duty? proof stating i showed up and i'm not eligible for this service? i want to be safe , and not be arrested or fined by mistake one day

your assistance is greatly appreciated

You will be safe if you appear in person with the letter and your LPR card and at least one other ID in hand at the appointed date and time. If the court clerk has not eliminated you from the process while you wait outside the courtroom you will be told to go into the courtroom with all the prospective jurors. They will call each juror by name and most likely ask you if there is any reason why you cannot serve as a juror. At that point you would inform the judge/court that you are not yet a US citizen. The court will then either allow you to remain or the court clerk will ask you for proof and you can then show the clerk your LPR card and ID. If the judge excuses you don't be afraid to ask the court clerk for your jury duty fee. After all, you are entitled to it and you had to take the time and effort and gas to get to court.

One more note: BEFORE leaving home write down your cars odometer reading. Once at the courthouse write down the odometer reading again. A great place to write this down is on the summons to appear. The court clerk will need this to calculate how much money you are owed for your mileage allowance.

Do not fear. You have done nothing wrong. You are fine. But not appearing could be dangerous given your ROC pending...

God Bless

P.S. They won't give you a letter of excuse but the fact that you are being excused will be reflected on the court record. This is as good as gold.

Edited by David & Zoila

I see there is a form (questionnaire) with the letter, The form had a line item, Are You a Citizen, i can Check No and send it back. or do i have just to keep the form and the letter until i show up in the court in the end of September?

I would say yes if it weren't for your pending ROC. I personally would not risk anything going wrong with my wife's ROC. But that's just me and I am maybe I am over cautious? Thing is, even if you check no and sen in the letter I doubt very much that they will send you a letter excusing you if you are being summoned for September jury duty. but who knows. I just would not take the chance. As far as the form I guess I would check NO and send the form back but if I didn't get something in writing back from the court excusing me I would appear anyway just to be safe. (I would also make a copy of the form after I had completed it before mailing it for my own records)

Timeline

You will be safe if you appear in person with the letter and your LPR card and at least one other ID in hand at the appointed date and time. If the court clerk has not eliminated you from the process while you wait outside the courtroom you will be told to go into the courtroom with all the prospective jurors. They will call each juror by name and most likely ask you if there is any reason why you cannot serve as a juror. At that point you would inform the judge/court that you are not yet a US citizen. The court will then either allow you to remain or the court clerk will ask you for proof and you can then show the clerk your LPR card and ID. If the judge excuses you don't be afraid to ask the court clerk for your jury duty fee. After all, you are entitled to it and you had to take the time and effort and gas to get to court.

One more note: BEFORE leaving home write down your cars odometer reading. Once at the courthouse write down the odometer reading again. A great place to write this down is on the summons to appear. The court clerk will need this to calculate how much money you are owed for your mileage allowance.

Do not fear. You have done nothing wrong. You are fine. But not appearing could be dangerous given your ROC pending...

God Bless

P.S. They won't give you a letter of excuse but the fact that you are being excused will be reflected on the court record. This is as good as gold.

Thank you David & zoila for the interesting information, i still haven't get yet my driver licence , i will just take the trolley , i will show up in the court, but i think i will have no courage to ask for any jury duty fee (money), i will be just very happy to have excuse and leave the court

Timeline

I would say yes if it weren't for your pending ROC. I personally would not risk anything going wrong with my wife's ROC. But that's just me and I am maybe I am over cautious? Thing is, even if you check no and sen in the letter I doubt very much that they will send you a letter excusing you if you are being summoned for September jury duty. but who knows. I just would not take the chance. As far as the form I guess I would check NO and send the form back but if I didn't get something in writing back from the court excusing me I would appear anyway just to be safe. (I would also make a copy of the form after I had completed it before mailing it for my own records)

I thank you very much for the efforts you are doing to answer my questions,

i will complete the form , i may receive no answer if i send back the form , then i will doubt if they take a proper action or no, i personally don't feel like sending anything or calling anybody, i will wait until September 20, and i will show up in person with the letter /form /id/green card, is that ok?

I thank you very much for the efforts you are doing to answer my questions,

i will complete the form , i may receive no answer if i send back the form , then i will doubt if they take a proper action or no, i personally don't feel like sending anything or calling anybody, i will wait until September 20, and i will show up in person with the letter /form /id/green card, is that ok?

Probably. You don't want to be compensated for your travel and time? That is THE AMERICAN WAY you know. If I were you I would send the form in anyway (after making a copy for myself). This way if I got something back from them in writing before the date I was to appear I would not have to waste my time. If I did not get anything back I would appear as discussed earlier. But that's just ME.

Timeline

Probably. You don't want to be compensated for your travel and time? That is THE AMERICAN WAY you know. If I were you I would send the form in anyway (after making a copy for myself). This way if I got something back from them in writing before the date I was to appear I would not have to waste my time. If I did not get anything back I would appear as discussed earlier. But that's just ME.

i'm learning the american way/style believe me, i was just asking myself how much the fee will be , i will take trolley going and coming back $10? so i will ask the court clerk for $10, i just don't know, i'm less than 2y resident in this country and most things are different. i know after this post i will ask the court clerk about the jury duty fee, it will takes me half day to do what i need

you did a great help :)

with my respect

It means: Don't bring your gun to court when you appear at the appointed date and time for jury duty. Simple, no guns allowed in court. And if your state is anything like Hawaii you will have to appear. They usually will not accept phone calls or even letters to be excused from jury duty unless you are a judge, attorney, priest or doctor. Make sure you bring the letter with you when you appear at court so you will get your jury duty fee even if they excuse you. You should be entitled to at least 1/2 day jury duty fee just for showing up but you will need to bring that letter along and ask the court clerk to make sure you get compensated.

P.S. Yes, there is a consequence for not showing up. A warrant could be issued for your arrest for CONTEMPT OF COURT. You don't want to risk that now do you? That would very likely affect your ROC later on.

I don't know what state the OP is in, but the last time I showed up for jury duty in CA, they wouldn't compensate folks until they were actually assigned to a trial... and compensation for travel was only based on zip code... significant because I live a rural region and a zip code can cover a large area, so potentially folks were driving a long distance that wouldn't be reflect in mileage compensation. But I agree if the OP's state offers compensation for coming in, s/he should accept it the same as others that come in.

I got one of these letters when I lived in the US last time on a visa. As I recall, there was literally no way to speak to anyone about it. I called and left a message, but no chance of talking to a real person, and no option to send anything back through the mail etc., so I ended up just ignoring it and deciding that they would figure out that I was not a citizen. That was 4 years ago, and so far, no problem.

I don't know what state the OP is in, but the last time I showed up for jury duty in CA, they wouldn't compensate folks until they were actually assigned to a trial... and compensation for travel was only based on zip code... significant because I live a rural region and a zip code can cover a large area, so potentially folks were driving a long distance that wouldn't be reflect in mileage compensation. But I agree if the OP's state offers compensation for coming in, s/he should accept it the same as others that come in.

Yeah I am in Hawaii. My island is just 40 miles long and everyone gets paid mileage according to your street address or odometer reading. What a deal, huh? Lucky we live Hawaii!

Aloha,

David

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.