wrm14

Multiple filer

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

I would be grateful for any responses concerning multiple filing. I've read through the instructions for multiple filers but in my case I am a bit confused. This will be my third attempt at filing for a K-1. The first one was approved but unfortunately, that one ended in divorce after 4 years. I filed a second K-1 but realizing afterwards that it was not going to work, wrote to USCIS to cancel my petition before a decision was made. I finally found the one I should have met a long time ago but now I am concerned since this will be my third filing. My confusion stems from the fact that everything I keep reading about multiple filing involves IMBRA. Although I had filed twice previously, both were not through IMB's. During the first petition, I actually met my future wife through a mutual friend who introdcued us so there was no IMB involved. The second filing, I did meet through an IMB and this third one, I met through eHarmony (is this considered an IMB?). None of the questions or requests for evidence as written in the instructions really seems to pertain to me other than the fact that this is my third filing. I had one petition approved, and a second that was filed but withdrawn before an official decision was made. Stressed out over this! Any thoughts? Thanks!

I think you should be just fine. You have had one long time ago, the second one was never approved, and the third one as I believe would be the second one. If you filed multiple petitions within 2 years then you need a waiver for that. But since the first one was long time ago then you don't need a waiver to overcome it.

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

I have read before that if it is involved fees to join the dating site it means fall into category of IMBRA. Have you paid a fee to contact her?

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

Timeline

I think you should be just fine. You have had one long time ago, the second one was never approved, and the third one as I believe would be the second one. If you filed multiple petitions within 2 years then you need a waiver for that. But since the first one was long time ago then you don't need a waiver to overcome it.

Would you feel it would be necessary or advisable to include a waiver request with my application?

Would you feel it would be necessary or advisable to include a waiver request with my application?

I don't think it is really necessary unless you wanted to be safe to avoid request for evidence (RFE) in case some adjudicators at USCIS seeing your past multiple filings fall into an IMBRA.

- Sun Tzu-

-Confucius-

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If this is your third or more, you need the waiver. The request for the waiver is just a letter showing that your first and second were for genuine relationships and simply flopped out of no fault of your own, and that this one is also genuine.

You need the waiver even if the first or second did not come from a fee based website and were more than 2 years ago.

That is what I did on my third, and it flew just fine. I am married to her now. The first and second dumped me over my objection, and I explained all of that in my letter.

If you want, post the draft of your letter here (please remove all names to ensure privacy) so we can comment on it.

Edited by Al422

The multiple filing limitations set forth in the IMBRA have nothing to do with using a marriage broker. They have to do with multiple filings of fiancé petitions. In your case, this is your 3rd time filing a fiancé petition and therefore you are required to submit a waiver request. From the I-129F instructions:

You must apply for a filing limitations waiver if any of the following apply:

a. You have previously filed K-1 petitions for two or more beneficiaries; or

b. You previously had a K-1 petition approved and less than 2 years have passed since the filing date of such previously approved petition.

It doesn't matter if your previous petitions were approved, cancelled, withdrawn, etc. The fact is that you filed them.

I also had to include a waiver request with my petition. You can find a sample of it here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/509146-waiver-for-multiple-fiance-filings/?p=7177435

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Timeline

Thanks everyone for your help and comments! I am going to go ahead and write the waiver request letter and keep my fingers crossed. I will be submitting a copy of my divorce decree from the first filing and for the second application that was withdrawn, I will submit a copy of the notarized letter I sent to USCIS asking them to withdraw my petition, as well as a screen copy from USCIS's website showing they acknowledged my petition withdrawl. They said they sent a notice in the mail but I do not believe I ever received one.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Actually a filing only counts when the Notice of Approval, the NOA2, hits. If you stopped the second one before the NOA2 hit, it does not count, such that your current one is actually #2. I did not see that part when I wrote my earlier post.

You can find out on the USCIS website if you stopped #2 in time to prevent the NOA2.

Edited by Al422

• 4 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Diamond what a relief!!! That is good to know that a cancelled K1.  I have a cancelled one in 2001 before NOA2.  And had another one that was approved  in 2003 and was married for 13 years and it ended in divorce.  My attorney told me not to worry about the waiver but was so nervous because everyone was saying I needed one! Great information. I can breathe easy now.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread from 2014 is now closed to further comment.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.