Trumplestiltskin

A pregnant, suicidal rape victim fought Ireland's new abortion law. The law won

148 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

The world is a shitty place and life is hard.

no that is a dark and distopian view of the world, at sharp contrast with the truth as revealed by God. the world is a beautiful place, full of wonder and miracle. how could god's creation be anything else? the dark views you and your type peddle are vessels for your dark and evil beliefs. you brainwash people into doing evil by blinding them to the beauty of our lord.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

LONDON (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - A migrant who said she was raped in her homeland before traveling to Ireland gave birth by Caesarean section when she was 24 weeks pregnant after Irish doctors rejected her request for an abortion on the grounds of suicidal thoughts, The Irish Times reported on Tuesday.

“I was raped in my country. I did not know I was pregnant until I came here”, the woman told the paper, which did not give her name, age or nationality.

She sought help to end the pregnancy when she discovered she was 8 weeks pregnant, but the medical authorities rejected her plea, the paper quoted her as saying.

Several weeks later, she was told she could travel to England for an abortion, but she could not afford the cost, estimated at a total of more than 1,500 euros, she said.

“In my culture it is a great shame to be pregnant if not married . . . I didn’t even know what [the medic] was saying to me,” she told the paper. “I said to her, ‘I could die because of this pregnancy. I am prepared to kill myself’.”

She then tried to kill herself but was interrupted, she told the paper.

A family friend told her to go to a doctor and tell him she was suicidal because of the pregnancy. The doctor arranged for her to see a psychiatrist, and she was taken to a hospital where she went on hunger strike for four days.

She was then told that because she was now 24 weeks pregnant, her pregnancy was too far advanced for a termination and she would have to have a Caesarean.

“I would have preferred an abortion … I was told the only way to end the pregnancy at this point would be a Caesarean … They said wherever you go in the world, the United States, anywhere, at this point it has to be Caesarean,” the woman said.

She told the paper she had not wanted a child from the rape to come into the world. “I didn’t want to even know that I had a child. Still, even today, I feel really bad,” she said. She has had no contact with the baby since leaving hospital, where the child remains, the paper said.

Earlier this year, the United Nations Human Rights Committee declared that Ireland’s abortion laws treated women who were raped as “a vessel and nothing more” and said Ireland should revise its laws to provide additional exceptions to the ban on abortions for cases of rape, incest, serious risk to the health of the mother and foetal abnormality.

In October 2012, Savita Halappanavar died of blood poisoning in a hospital in Galway after doctors refused to terminate her pregnancy. The Indian dentist, admitted to hospital in great pain, was told her baby would not survive and asked for a termination, but surgeons refused to remove her foetus until its heart stopped beating several days later.

Her death caused national controversy and pushed lawmakers into passing the Protection of Life during Pregnancy Act in July 2013.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I'm not sure exactly what we disagree on but on thing is sure I don't support abortions straight across the board. Yes health issues of the unborn baby needs to be considered. As far as medical bills go I am not going to put a price on someone's life

you want every possibly viable fetus born and adopted out, you better start doing some math.

Firstly I wouldn't make the assumption that therapy is 'feel good'. Getting people to face their darkest emotions is the total opposite of that.

I'm not sure what else to say, it's simply noone else's business.

When you make it sound like the right decision and there's no extreme circumstances it crosses the line into feel good therapy. A scared teenage girl in high school doesn't qualify in my book as an extreme circumstance.

Secondly, some women simply don't want to go through the physical, mental, emotional stress of a pregnancy. Especially when it comes with the trauma of mental illness, being raped or getting pregnant while still in high school.

With rape it is different. That aside, emotional stress of a pregnancy is not a good reason to end a life. She brought something into this world, it is not just about her anymore. Personal responsibility needs to be addressed.Stand up to the mistakes you have made.

I'm not sure what else to say, it's simply noone else's business.

If it was just about the woman and no one else then I would agree.

Pregnant ladies are emotional and can't think for themselves!

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

you want every possibly viable fetus born and adopted out, you better start doing some math.

So you agree with what the Chinese are doing? Using population control as a reason, come on. Ends justify the means?

Yes I would.

Pregnant ladies are emotional and can't think for themselves!

Good thing we have men around to tell us how to think. Phew!

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I don't see how you can sit there and make sweeping judgements about difficult and highly personal decisions made by individuals.

My ex got pregnant as a teenager, at a time when she couldn't deal with having a baby or having her parents find out. Who are you to say that she was wrong?

Scared teenage girls and self serving doctors don't always make the best decisions.

self serving doctors?

scared teenage girls should not be forced to carry a pregnancy, ever.

Do as you will as long as it effects just you. This issue isn't all about the woman. Its cute though how you want to wrap it up in the "men know what is best for woman" package.

i have a pocket panel of men that i consort with regarding a myriad of decisions, from day to day tasks to the bigguns.

and i would like to publically thank them for filling the gaps in my poor woman faculties.

i think there's a pun in there somewhere.

It's a heinous idea.

What? But it makes me so happy sitting comfortably in my arm chair far far away, and that's all that matters.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!