23 posts in this topic

No. We filed early February and the noa2 was received before we were "officially" engaged (we wanted to be in the same place at the same time for him to officially ask me to marry him).

K1 Visa timeline:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

02/01/2014 - mailed our petition

07/25/2014 - Johan arrives in Los Angeles! 

*See updated timeline for specific dates.*

AOS timeline:~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

08/02/2014 - AOS, EAD, AP applications mailed. 

11/17/2014 - K2 gets an interview waiver letter in the mail (dated November 12th) (K1 has never gotten this letter)

08/24/2015 - Green cards are FINALLY in hand after nearly 13 months of waiting. 

ROC timeline: ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

05/01/2017 - ROC application sent 

05/02/2017 - CSC receives our package

05/03/2017 - Official NOA1 date

05/10/2017 - MO cashed at our bank

05/12/2017 - NOA 1 is in the mailbox.

05/20/2017 - Biometrics letter in hand

05/31/2017 - biometrics appt (Oxnard, CA)

06/19/2018 - ROC still pending with no news but that wonky glitch back in February, so we went ahead and filed for citizenship

N-400 timeline: ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

06/19/2018 - N-400 application filed online

06/20/2018 - NOA1 received online for Naturalization application

06/25/2018 - Biometrics notification online (PDF Document)

07/12/2018 - Biometrics appt (Oxnard, CA)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

:guides: easily accessible at the top of the forum page. In particular, the thorough K1 Visa guide. In that guide it speaks about engagement rings (believe me it mentions engagement rings).

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Good luck on your visa journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

My question is:

Does an engagement ring matter in this K1 process for proof of anything? I havent bought an engagement ring yet and I am filing for the K1 visa for my fiance.

Just curious.

No. USCIS won't ask that and the only thing matter is you both have met within 2 years and letter intent of marry that you will get married within 90 days after arrival in the US.

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

During my K1 interview in the US embassy, they asked if we had an engagement ring, since we had it, I just show it to in the interviewer. We didn't include it as a proof when we processed our papers. I am not sure if they always ask for it (engagement ring) in every K1 interview. We just include photos, emails, receipts of the things we spent while we were together as proofs that the relationship is genuine. Hope this helps.

Edited by Mari_Ron

I am the beneficiary. ?

AOS timeline from K1

08-25-2014 - Mailed i485 packet via USPS

08-27-2014 - Packet delivered and signed by S. Bush

09-10-2014 - Email and txt notification received ???

09-17-2014 - Notice of Action (hard copy) received in mail dated 09/10/2014

09-17-2014 - Case Status changed from Acceptance to Initial Review

09-26-2014 - Biometrics Appointment Letter received and is scheduled on 10/06/2014 ???

10-06-2014 - Biometrics is done successfully. ???

12-01-2014 - I-797C notice (interview appointment letter) received, the uscis letter postmark is the same date

as our interview appointment date 11-25-2014 ??? U N B E L I E V A B L E !!!!

12-08-2014 - Interview appointment re-scheduled on 01-09-2015 ??? RELIEVED AND GRATEFUL

12-12-2014 - Online status changed to "Testing & Interview".

01-09-2015 - Interview Appointment Date ???

01-09-2015 - AOS application APPROVED! Case Status changed to card production and Welcome Notice mailed. ???

01-15-2015 - Welcome Notice received. ???

01-16-2015 - New card was mailed ??????

01-16-2015 - Case status online updated to "card was picked up by the USPS", tracking number received.

01-17-2015 - Received notification from USCIS and USPS that the card has been delivered. But only to find out that it was not delivered in our mailbox.

01-17 to 01-19-2015 - Green Card Missing.

01-20-2015 Green Card received. The carrier found it! ??? and delivered it to us. So relieved and thankful. ???

THANK YOU VISAJOURNEY AND TO ITS MEMBERS! YOU ARE ALL PART OF OUR VISA JOURNEY. ???

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

My question is:

Does an engagement ring matter in this K1 process for proof of anything? I havent bought an engagement ring yet and I am filing for the K1 visa for my fiance.

Just curious.

We don't have it. We plan to buy it after she gets to US.

10-04-2013 We met online
11-21-2013 We met in person in Shanghai for 2 weeks

12-13-2013 I-129F packet sent via express

12-19-2013 USCIS NOA #1 (text and email) received

12-24-2013 USCIS assigns Alien Registration Number
12-31-2013 USCIS NOA #1 hard copy received
06-02-2014 USCIS web site shows NOA #2 approval
06-06-2014 USCIS web site shows case sent to NVC

06-xx-2014 Fiancee acquired birth, marriage, and police certificates from local police station (wrong)

06-16-2014 NVC creates case with GUZ### number

06-19-2014 NVC sends case sent to Guangzhou, China
06-24-2014 Received packet 3 express mail from embassy
06-25-2014 Completed DS-160 and paid K1 visa fee

06-26-2014 Mailed packet 3 response back to Embassy

06-26-2014 Requested police certificate from Russian embassy

07-08-2014 Received packet 4 email from Embassy

07-17-2014 Picked up Russian police certificate

07-25-2014 Fiancee medical exam (received MMR & Varicella, but they missed required TD shot)

07-31-2014 Picked up medical exam reports

08-01-2014 Request (correct) birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service (GongZhengChu)

08-06-2014 Picked up birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service

08-14-2014 Passed Interview Guangzhou embassy

09-01-2014 Received passport, visa, & sealed envelope

09-13-2014 POE

09-17-2014 Went to CBP office to get (US entry) I-94 updated correctly

09-18-2014 Applied for Social Security Card
09-19-2014 Applied for Marriage License (via online)
09-25-2014 Received Social Security Card
09-30-2014 Picked up Marriage License
10-09-2014 Marriage by Justice of Peace
10-09-2014 Got Certified Marriage Certificate Copies
10-17-2014 Received a letter from SS office that they need the marriage license
10-09-2014 Applied to change the social security card name
10-24-2014 Went back to SS office to provide the marriage certificate documents again!!!
12-09-2014 Submitted AOS, EAD, and AP
12-16-2014 Received 16 emails and 16 text NOA messages
01-05-2015 Received Biometrics appointment letter for (01-12-2015)
01-12-2015 Had Biometrics (fingerprint & picture) - Required Marriage Certificate!!!
02-17-2015 EAD and AP is approved
02-23-2015 Received AP is approval letter
02-25-2015 Received EAD/AP combo card (expires 02/16/2016)
02-27-2015 Applied for SS card name change (they took her SS card)
02-27-2015 Driver's learner permit test was denied since the SS card was given to SS office for name change
03-17-2015 Received SS card with married name
03-17-2015 Started to change all her accounts to married name
03-23-2015 Received potential interview waiver letter
03-27-2015 DMV rejects learner's permit due to "legal status=pending" and vision test failure
04-05-2015 Vision test for learner's permit
04-06-2015 DPS sent us letter that DHS cleared my wife's status to acquire driver's license.
04-10-2015 Passed Driver Learner's Permit
04-22-2015 Received Driver Learner's Permit ID card (expires 02/16/2016)
08-27-2015 Green Card approved
08-31-2015 Received Green Card "Welcome Notice Was Mailed" letter
09-05-2015 Received Green card
10-26-2015 Passed Driver's License Road Test (on 3rd attempt)
11-03-2015 Received Driver's License (expires 02/16/2022)
11-06-2015 Applied to remove conditional work remark on SS card
11-23-2015 Received updated Social Security Card.
- - - - - - - - - - Pending Future Processing - - - - - - - - - -
05-27-2017 File 10 Year Green Card
08-27-2017 2 Year Green Card Expires
05-27-2018 File USC

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

My question is:

Just curious.

For the USCIS phase of the K-1 the only requirement is having met in person within the past 2 years, they don't care about engagement rings.

As for USEM in the Philippines, they don't care about an engagement ring either - there are many ways of showing evidence of an ongoing relationship without an engagement ring. So don't worry about it. I did buy my wife one, but she never really wore it and the embassy didn't ask for any evidence regarding a ring.

If you asked that question on the Philippines forum I am sure you will find many that didn't do the engagement ring.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/129-philippines/

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Timeline

As for USEM in the Philippines, they don't care about an engagement ring either - there are many ways of showing evidence of an ongoing relationship without an engagement ring. So don't worry about it. I did buy my wife one, but she never really wore it and the embassy didn't ask for any evidence regarding a ring.

If you asked that question on the Philippines forum I am sure you will find many that didn't do the engagement ring.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/129-philippines/

Hank, I just got off Skype with my fiancé who had her successful US Embassy Manila Visa interview today. She told me that she was asked twice about her engagement ring, once on the Phil side of paperwork processing and the second time during the American CO interview. Both were very friendly and when she asked if they wanted to see the jewelers receipt, he smiled and said no.... 'Your Approved'

I'm not sure if it means anything, but I suspect given her observations that wearing an engagement ring is an effective 'ice breaker' for both parties during the interviews. But as you mentioned not a deal breaker

Timeline

Hank, I just got off Skype with my fiancé who had her successful US Embassy Manila Visa interview today. She told me that she was asked twice about her engagement ring, once on the Phil side of paperwork processing and the second time during the American CO interview. Both were very friendly and when she asked if they wanted to see the jewelers receipt, he smiled and said no.... 'Your Approved'

I'm not sure if it means anything, but I suspect given her observations that wearing an engagement ring is an effective 'ice breaker' for both parties during the interviews. But as you mentioned not a deal breaker

I would have to guess she was wearing the ring. ;)

My wife didn't wear hers and wasn't asked about it, and I know of many others that didn't have engagement rings and had zero issues. Not having an engagement ring is not going to result in a denial of the visa.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

My understanding is that they understand you might not have a ring and still have a "legitimate relationship", but having a ring is a piece of concrete evidence, and does not hurt.

So if you have a ring - show it. If you don't, don't sweat it.

I know how my fiancée acts when someone looks at her ring, if they want evidence in an interview that the relationship is real, that is as good as it gets. I put the receipt in with "all the other stuff".

Then again, what do I know, we don't have our visa yet.

Spousal Visa

NOA-1 8-2-2018 TSC

NOA-2 3-15-2019

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

When we were originally intending to apply our lawyer advised us that we should probably wait until we were actually engaged before we filed. It added around a month to the process for us, but it was nice having the peace of mind knowing that everything was done properly.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I would have to guess she was wearing the ring. ;)

My wife didn't wear hers and wasn't asked about it, and I know of many others that didn't have engagement rings and had zero issues. Not having an engagement ring is not going to result in a denial of the visa.

Pretty sure they made casual convo with my husband about my engagement ring - and I wasn't there for the interview. I don't think it's unusual to not have it, but it's also probably not a bad idea to know they might ask, and you don't have it, you should explain why you don't have it. ("I don't like wearing rings/we're buying it together/wanted to buy & have it sized at the same time/it's not part of our thing to have rings" or whatever.)

I suspect they're mostly just looking for evidence that there's been a discussion about the ring, rather than a ring itself.

Timeline

Pretty sure they made casual convo with my husband about my engagement ring - and I wasn't there for the interview. I don't think it's unusual to not have it, but it's also probably not a bad idea to know they might ask, and you don't have it, you should explain why you don't have it. ("I don't like wearing rings/we're buying it together/wanted to buy & have it sized at the same time/it's not part of our thing to have rings" or whatever.)

I suspect they're mostly just looking for evidence that there's been a discussion about the ring, rather than a ring itself.

In Manila it isn't a big deal and the OP is dealing with the Philippines, don't know about other embassies.

I was there for the interview, the Filipino pre-screener spent more time chatting with me then my wife same happened with the CO, in fact the CO got so off track that he forgot to have my wife do the oath and had to ask her to come back to the window and do the oath. Totally funny.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My question is:

Just curious.

For the USCIS it matters not. It may however, matter to your fiance. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.