59 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

although, I have to thank you for your explanation, because you nailed it completely. Bottom line: there was an arrest, there was no guilty verdict, there is no record.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Yes, Boiler. That is what I am saying. He was charged for murder, and declared innocent by the jury. It would not be a problem if we had the record. But the record is blank.

Yes, he needs to declare his arrest.

It's visa fraud to instruct you to not report it and a violation of the TOS to help you hide this fact.

Timeline

I mean, the people in that town, in that region, where they were travelling, were involved at the time, but that was years ago and they have never been back to that region (or ever want to go back), nor is there any kind of connection, communication...it is really considered over and past.

If it's considered over and past, then why not declare the arrest as legally required on the immigration forms?

Timeline

myjourneytoo, I have to disagree with you. It was not a crime committed. When you are walking alone, one man and two girls, and you are assaulted by a group of men, and you finally defend yourself, this is not a crime at all. It is self-defense. The fact that the police get there, aren't sure who to believe, and take the wrong person into custody, does not therefore make it into a crime. There was no bribing that took place.

It is precisely because of this that these things are a problem; because the majority of people assume that, if you are accused, you are therefore guilty. The fact that, in this world, there are false accusations, imperfect justice systems, etc, etc, seem to be lost on most people. Almost everybody responding to my thread has treated it like this is a case of a person committing a crime. And that is precisely what I am afraid of in revealing. Once people get that in their head, it seems impossible that they will drop it.

I did not use my real name.

If he was innocent, then why did his family wipe out his criminal trial?

Hard to believe he is innocent when his family has the pull to cover up an act of self defense.

If the family is so connected to get a police record cleaned, then whose to say they couldn't rig a jury? It seems that erasing it from the police cert made things worse and more mysterious.

There are different levels of police certs, are you sure it was really wiped from the non-public version? Some people think things are wiped or expunged when they are really not. There is no such thing for immigration purposes.

The arrest and subsequent acquittal and finding of self-defense only helps your case, not harms it.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

If the family is so connected to get a police record cleaned, then whose to say they couldn't rig a jury? It seems that erasing it from the police cert made things worse and more mysterious.

There are different levels of police certs, are you sure it was really wiped from the non-public version? Some people think things are wiped or expunged when they are really not. There is no such thing for immigration purposes.

The arrest and subsequent acquittal and finding of self-defense only helps your case, not harms it.

It's the cover up that usually gets people.

And if they choose to continue to cover it up and get an immigration bebefit, there will be a family ripped apart when the mmigration fraud is discovered. Hopefully, there will not be innocent children at that time.

Timeline

Harpa, in answer to your question, the family did not rig the jury. That is the facts I know, and I am sure about them. What I know is that someone thought

it was doing a favor to do this (clear the record after the fact). Why, I don' t know. Because it was easy to do and someone did it. Wouldn't you rather have

a completely blank record then have that on it and have to explain it all the time? Besides the fact that there was an assault, like I said, and female family members

involved, and sometimes people want to wipe those things out of history. I don't think it is that hard to understand.

So, it gets back to the same question. Yes, if we file we will declare it. That is not the question. The question is, how can you explain it? It has to be explained.

You are saying, 'if not guilty, why hide it?' Because it was hidden, you assume it was guilty. Who cares, anyway? In the sense that, no one will ever be able to

go back and discuss it, so it is irrelevant to the question. I would say, if he was guilty, why would we be willing to declare it at all? We are not worried about getting caught.

Timeline

Anyway, frankly, I thank you all for your help, but it only confirms my anxieties: once people hear anything about it, they will assume he was guilty.

If he has an innocent record, he was still guilty because he must have 'rigged' the jury. If he has no record, his family erased it because he was guilty.

Either way, the minute it is mentioned, he is considered guilty. If he had done nothing to defend the victims, and allowed the assault to continue, he would

be innocent. It is a wrong situation but I think it is the way the world works sometimes. There is no way we can win in this situation.

It would be better for us not to go through the process to enter the US then to have all this thrown in our faces. So, I think that is my answer.

Timeline

Harpa, in answer to your question, the family did not rig the jury. That is the facts I know, and I am sure about them. What I know is that someone thought

it was doing a favor to do this (clear the record after the fact). Why, I don' t know. Because it was easy to do and someone did it. Wouldn't you rather have

a completely blank record then have that on it and have to explain it all the time?

How many people do you know who are found innocent goes through the ILLEGAL route of wiping a record clean?

While having a clean record is nice, a coverup is a bigger crime.

Yeah. I would rather explain an innocent verdict than be part of an illegal conspiracy to erase his trial.

Timeline

How many people do you know who are found innocent goes through the ILLEGAL route of wiping a record clean?

While having a clean record is nice, a coverup is a bigger crime.

Yeah. I would rather explain an innocent verdict than be part of an illegal conspiracy to erase his trial.

Uh....I think you misunderstood the entire conversation. This is not what happened.

Anyway, I prefer to end this conversation. Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

For what it's worth... I don't think he is guilty. I just asked my husband about the situation and he said that in Morocco, since he was found innocent, it would not be shown on either record anyway. I say give it a try. If it would make you feel more secure, consult with some lawyers. Just answer honestly to the question, and give the explanation that he was found innocent of wrong-doing.

I don't know if that helps. But I wish you the best.

01/28/2013 I-130 package sent

01/31/2013 Notice of Action Date After POE
02/01/2013 Received e-mail and text notification of acceptance
11/26/2013 Applied for SS#
02/04/2013 Received hard copy NOA1 (case not found in on-line system) 12/02/2013 ELIS site still states "accepted"
03/12/2013 Transferred to the local office 12/27/2013 received green card
04/10/2013 Case still not found in on-line system
04/15/2013 INFO-PASS appointment

05/01/2013 NOA2 sent petition approved

NVC Stage...of course it has to be complicatedreading.gifrolleyes.gif

05/09/2013 Case received by NVC

05/23/2013 Received case #'s from NVC

05/23/2013 DS-3032 sent from husband's e-mail

06/03/2013 First day I can not access payment portal

06/04/2013 AOS Fee invoiced and payment made

06/04/2013 DS-3032 resent with Supervisor Review

06/05/2013 DS-3032 acceptance e-mail

06/05/2013 AOS Fee shows "PAID"

06/06/2013 AOS package express mailed

06/07/2013 IV bill invoiced and payment made (still waiting on documents from Hubby)

06/08/2013 IV package express mailed

06/25/2013 IV reviewed - Checklist (2 errors, Birth document & date on DS-230)

06/26/2013 Requested supervisor review by e-mail & verbal request for birth document (fingers crossed)

06/27/2013 AOS accepted

06/28/2013 Checklist response sent for corrected DS-230 (I had my husband sign extra's just in-case)

08/02/2013 NVC requested a supervisor review on the checklist item over 20 business day window

08/05/2013 Case Complete!!! kicking.gif

08/27/2013 Interview Assigned

10/30/2013 Interview

11/04/2013 Pick up Passport

11/12/2013 POE @ JFK

Timeline

For what it's worth... I don't think he is guilty. I just asked my husband about the situation and he said that in Morocco, since he was found innocent, it would not be shown on either record anyway. I say give it a try. If it would make you feel more secure, consult with some lawyers. Just answer honestly to the question, and give the explanation that he was found innocent of wrong-doing.

I don't know if that helps. But I wish you the best.

It is worth a lot. Thank you.

It is so painful to be disbelieved and accused.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Nobody is disbelieving you we just giving our opinions according to what was posted.

And believe me I feel your pain and struggles with this. It is not easy.

I called a friend of mine that works in the court system and he told me, that there will be no records for anybody that is found innocent.

They just don’t report it period.

It will not be on the police records or the courts records. And that is a fact.

And anybody that checks will find what’s on the records. NOTHING.

Best of luck.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Anyway, I prefer to end this conversation. Thanks.

***Thread closed to additional discussion on this note. OP can request to have it reopened.***

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.