Thowa

is affidavit of support a must?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I have filled the ds-260 and ready to summit but I am not clear on one issue. is affidavit of support a must when going to the interview?

It depends on your financial situation. What the CO will be interested in is if you could become a public charge - meaning that they do not want new immigrants to depend on social security. You just have to prove that you will have means to start your life in the US. You can do this by:

- having a job offer from US

- I-134 affidavit filled by US citizen or LPR

- personal savings (usually 10 000$ per family member is enough), the savings must be "kosher" so 1 year of bank statements should be sufficient

That's pretty much all I think.

Edited by franko

The world is governed by chance. Randomness stalks us every day of our lives.

FRANKYNUMBERVILLE ! :content:

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi everyone, my fiancé will be applying for the next DV this October. (God willing he is selected), then he will be using an affidavit of support since he may not have at least $10k by the time of the interview. I would think the consulate will have to look at it when he presents it to them at the interview as proof even if they don't require it, correct? He will present it during the interview, so I hope they just don't say they don't want it just because they don't require it.

Timeline

Hi everyone, my fiancé will be applying for the next DV this October. (God willing he is selected), then he will be using an affidavit of support since he may not have at least $10k by the time of the interview. I would think the consulate will have to look at it when he presents it to them at the interview as proof even if they don't require it, correct? He will present it during the interview, so I hope they just don't say they don't want it just because they don't require it.

Any of these three will suffice:

- having a job offer from US

- I-134 affidavit filled by US citizen or LPR

- personal savings (usually 10 000$ per family member is enough), the savings must be "kosher" so 1 year of bank statements should be sufficient

Meaning that if you have the I-134 they will look at it and it will be used as a proof that you will not become public charge because your sponsor will help you.

They will accept it assuming the financial sponsor meets the requirements, but get selected first before you start worrying about this stuff...

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

The chances of an Egyptian winning are 0.45% so I wouldn't do any planning until you've actually won.

Why don't you apply as well? That'll double your odds.

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline

The chances of an Egyptian winning are 0.45% so I wouldn't do any planning until you've actually won.

Why don't you apply as well? That'll double your odds.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread!

Actually, I'm a USC and my fiancé is Egyptian, and unfortunately, we don't have the option right now of doing a K-1 or CR-1 for various reasons, so our next soonest option is the DV :unsure: .........we are saying our prayers and thinking positive!! We wish I could move to Egypt during the wait, but, in the meantime, we are trying to find out all the info we need to be prepared for him to apply for the DV this October.

Best wishes everyone :)

Edited by egypt.w&z

Filed: Country: Italy
Timeline

It is a not a must. There is nothing in the DV instructions that require / make it mandatory to have an affidavit of support.

Some embassies ask for it but many do not.

Hi EmilyW,

It seems that for Italy Affidavit of support is needed. I found a pdf at this address: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/diversity-visa/if-you-are-selected/prepare-supporting-documents.html. If you go under the Additional Embassy and Consulate Instructions and you select Naples, you get a PDF stating that Affidavit of support is needed...

On other forums I read that people taking the interview in Italy were not asked this document. I am a bit confused...

Can I provide evidency of bank savings of $10k+ instead? How can I be 100% sure they will not complain at the time of the interview?

Thanks,

adalb

Timeline

Hi EmilyW,

It seems that for Italy Affidavit of support is needed. I found a pdf at this address: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/diversity-visa/if-you-are-selected/prepare-supporting-documents.html. If you go under the Additional Embassy and Consulate Instructions and you select Naples, you get a PDF stating that Affidavit of support is needed...

On other forums I read that people taking the interview in Italy were not asked this document. I am a bit confused...

Can I provide evidency of bank savings of $10k+ instead? How can I be 100% sure they will not complain at the time of the interview?

Thanks,

adalb

The information provided in the pdf is not specific to DV lottery and it does not say weather they ask for I-134 or I-864. It covers family, employment and fiance visas. As I said before, you need any of these three:

- job offer

- I-134

-money in the bank

Edited by franko

Timeline

Thanks Franko! This is good news.

Adalb

No worries Dude. London embassy has similar instructions mentioning affidavit of support. I'm having my interview next month and I only have a house and money in the bank to show.

Also got some testemonies from people who had their interviews in April and June and they just had printed bank statements as proof of funds.

You basically need to show to the CO that you will support yourself during your first months/years in the US.

So loads of money is good, less money, good education and work experience is good too. Job offer from US is even better :)

Filed: Country: Armenia
Timeline

Hi,

Many DV selectees here successfully pass the interviews by showing bank accounts. I assume that my interview will be in in October, but I am sorry that I don;t have enough money in the bank. I have somewhere arond $4000. What do you think, will it be enough to show at the interview for my, my son and my spouse? We don't have any other real estates to show. Also can speaking English be considered as a plus at the interview, cos many people from my country immigrate to the US with no language skills?

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Hi,

Many DV selectees here successfully pass the interviews by showing bank accounts. I assume that my interview will be in in October, but I am sorry that I don;t have enough money in the bank. I have somewhere arond $4000. What do you think, will it be enough to show at the interview for my, my son and my spouse? We don't have any other real estates to show. Also can speaking English be considered as a plus at the interview, cos many people from my country immigrate to the US with no language skills?

$4,000 for 3 people is very, very low. I think you should figure out if you can get a sponsor/job offer or something?

Born in Romania, been living in the US since 2007 (F1 visa)

F1 visa 2007-2011, 2011-2016 - OPT received August 25, 2014

DV-2015 Selectee - Case Number EU30,7xx - Interview estimate: May/June 2015 (?) - Might try to do AOS though it looks like it might be worse this year

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.