18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hello,

I am a F1 student residing in Los Angeles and I have been selected for the DV2015 lottery... I have some questions still bothering me even if I spoke to KCC and USCIS on the phone, plus a couple local immigration lawyers. I need some extra reassurance.

I understand that this year is a requirement for every applicant (whether going through consular process or uscis) to fill out the online form DS-260. My questions about this are, since I selected I want to take my interview in the US, when I submit the DS260 my forms will be transferred to USCIS, right? Do I need to check with USCIS if I am eligible to adjust status first? I called them about it and they said I am fine filing for adjustment, but did not ask me any case-specific questions... I only said I was on a F1 visa.

If I just submit the DS160 and my case goes to USCIS, it is my understanding that I won't receive any more notifications, is this correct? I only have to wait until my number becomes current?

Oh there is one more question about this, the adjustement fee... when does it need to be paid? When you submit the DS260 or when it gets closer to the interview date or when the number becomes current?

Thanks so much! But I am freaking out and it is confusing to get clear answers...

Oh and since I am here, I also want to ask when do you think I will get an interview based on my number 2015EU00019XXX ?

Thanks so much in advance!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Spamming post removed, any further post as such will result in suspension~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello,

I am a F1 student residing in Los Angeles and I have been selected for the DV2015 lottery... I have some questions still bothering me even if I spoke to KCC and USCIS on the phone, plus a couple local immigration lawyers. I need some extra reassurance.

I understand that this year is a requirement for every applicant (whether going through consular process or uscis) to fill out the online form DS-260. My questions about this are, since I selected I want to take my interview in the US, when I submit the DS260 my forms will be transferred to USCIS, right? Do I need to check with USCIS if I am eligible to adjust status first? I called them about it and they said I am fine filing for adjustment, but did not ask me any case-specific questions... I only said I was on a F1 visa.

If I just submit the DS160 and my case goes to USCIS, it is my understanding that I won't receive any more notifications, is this correct? I only have to wait until my number becomes current?

Oh there is one more question about this, the adjustement fee... when does it need to be paid? When you submit the DS260 or when it gets closer to the interview date or when the number becomes current?

Thanks so much! But I am freaking out and it is confusing to get clear answers...

Oh and since I am here, I also want to ask when do you think I will get an interview based on my number 2015EU00019XXX ?

I'm weak on AOS and rarely answer questions on it but here goes: Everyone on a valid visa living in the USA is eligible to adjust status with DV as far as I'm aware.

You have to wait until your number goes current and then when you check the website you'll receive a notification letter. The adjustment fee is paid at or after the interview I think. There is no payment for filling out the DS-260 as many CNs aren't even selected.

19XXX .. March 2015. *

* Unless you are from Uzbekistan.

Like gulkan I don't know a lot about AOS. I tried googling: adjustment of status diversity visa

I'm not sure you've even read the official instructions as it tells you when to pay the fee and that your local USCIS office will give you instructions for proceeding:

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/diversity-visa/instructions-for-selectees/adjustment.html

This indicates you don't get an interview letter if you have selected AOS but need to watch the visa bulletin:

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/won-the-diversity-visa-lottery-living-the-us-where-process-your-green-card.html

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

In order to adjust status, you are required to have entered the US legally and you need to be in status. So the question is what is the expiry date on your I-20? With your CN, your number is likely to become current anywhere between February and April 2015, so if you're likely to graduate before then, there are certain issues you need to be aware of before deciding if AOS is the right path for you or not.

Yes, all selectees are required to submit the online DS-260 form. Be sure to confirm the expiration date of your I-20 before submitting the form (assuming you haven't already submitted it). There's really no need to contact USCIS to confirm eligibility, you're likely to get a run-around response. As long as you entered the US legally and you've been in continous status since, you are eligible to adjust status. When you submit the form, your file will not be transfered right away to USCIS, and yes KCC will not schedule your interview either. Also the information provided here http://travel.state....adjustment.html is not accurate. Your local office will not give you any reliable information on what to do or when to make payment or what form of payment is required.

Yes you will not receive an interview notification from KCC, but you may receive an email with instructions for making the DV administrative fee payment of $330 which has to be made before the adjustment process begins and it's different from the adjustment fee itself. Most people make the payment before becoming current because it takes a couple of weeks to get back the receipt which needs to be included with the adjustment application package.

Anyway, you might want to consider googling "forums immigration" and signing up there as that forum has a wealth of information regarding DV adjusment process and you will have the opportunity of being in the midst of others going through the process and can compare case notes.

• 2 months later...

Hi xxMary, I am also an F1 student who did an adjustment of status for DV2014 and got my green card recently. I know how confusing and frustrating the process can be. Please send me an email on psalm4610x@gmail.com with your specific queries and I would like to help you do things in a timely and correct manner. God bless

Hi guys,

I'm Italian, I'm currently on a J1 visa and I also filed for adjustment of status but I was wondering if it was possible to switch to consular processing. I misread the visa bulletin and though my interview would be scheduled earlier than it would actually be (my CN is EU00036XXX). I might have left the US by then unless I apply for OPT. I really don't know what to do. Any tips?

Hi guys,

I'm Italian, I'm currently on a J1 visa and I also filed for adjustment of status but I was wondering if it was possible to switch to consular processing. I misread the visa bulletin and though my interview would be scheduled earlier than it would actually be (my CN is EU00036XXX). I might have left the US by then unless I apply for OPT. I really don't know what to do. Any tips?

Yes, contact KCC and tell them you want to change. I assume you are not subject to a home residence requirement first (some J1s have this).

Filed: Country: Armenia
Timeline

All J1s are a subject of a 2-year home residence requirement.

Sorry I missed, all J1 are a subject of a 2 year home residence requirement, if the US gov sposored your program, or if you came to receive medical edu. or training, or if the skills you are developing are in the field which your own gov. requested to be included in the skill list set by DOS.

Sorry I missed, all J1 are a subject of a 2 year home residence requirement, if the US gov sposored your program, or if you came to receive medical edu. or training, or if the skills you are developing are in the field which your own gov. requested to be included in the skill list set by DOS.

Yeah, that's a pile of "ifs", hence why I asked...

Hi guys,

You haven't filed for adjustment of status. All you've done is indicate to KCC you wish to process AOS. Until you submit an I-485, you're not considered to have filed for adjustment.

If you wish to change to CP, email KCC requesting them to unlock your DS 260 form and make your change from AOS to CP.

All J1s are a subject of a 2-year home residence requirement.

Not ALL J1 visas are subject the 2 year home residence requirement, there are exemptions.

Those who do not fall under the exemption may also apply for a waiver of the 2 year home residence requirement which enables them to file for adjustment.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.